Prince "Let's Go Crazy" Used in a Capital One Television Commercial..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jelloza, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

It's the American way.

HoratioH and EVOLVIST like this.
  2. Perhaps I'm of a different frame of mind.

Prince is dead. There's no coming back from that. "Honoring the dead" is only a mental construct for the living.

Yes, it sounded weird to hear Prince on a commercial, but simply because I had never heard Prince on a commercial.

Prince's relatives have to eat. The cards have been stacked against them as Prince didn't have a will.

When people come knocking with cash, are they supposed to turn them away at the door?

In sum, I'm as big of a Prince fan as any. He left a mark of artistic integrity that thousands of young musicians will reap the benefits of for hundreds of years. But Prince is dead. His job is done.

Long live the man.

3. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

It's money 4 his estate.

4. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I just saw the commercial. After a quick check, I have determined that I stilll love this song and its creator.

5. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

Prince's relatives can get a job.

6. They have a job. Looking over Prince's estate.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  7. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

No disrespect intended, but if something so trite can have that much of an effect on your ability to get immersed in a song, I am glad that my music listening tendencies are way different

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  8. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

They have a job: it's pissing off people who think they deserve a say in how Prince's estate is monetized.

And it looks like they're doing their job very well, so well done them.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  9. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

He can't help it if he's sensitive.

10. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

There’s one that used a Michael Jackson too. But that one’s all good. The usage of the Prince though, I find it rubbish.

CBackley likes this.
  11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Are you ok that the National Suicide Prevention Hotline licenced Van Halen's "Jump" for hold music?

JoeF. likes this.
  12. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

You won't get anywhere with some people here arguing for artistic integrity. Some people find the very idea offensive for some reason.

I agree with you, however. Great songs belong to the fans and not corporate shills.

sekaer and CBackley like this.
  13. HotelYorba101

I agree, which to me is silly to think that a person would let their enjoyment of a song be ruined because it is on a commercial.

14. masswriter

It's the principle of it.

How about "Blue and Green" to sell pharmaceuticals?

sekaer likes this.
  15. masswriter

Rock and roll used to be anti-establishment, it was our only hope away from corporations and politics. Now it's sold out to both.

I'm very surprised at some of the comments I'm reading in here.

16. HotelYorba101

It doesn't impact my listening and enjoyment so I don't really care personally if that happened either

17. HotelYorba101

Wouldn't it be more anti-establishment to not let the immersion of a great and well written song be affected by one little comercial though?

18. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I like Dylan and Adrianna Lima and "Love Sick." The commercial is very well done and it affects my enjoyment of the song and the entirety of Time Out of Mind not at all.
    That said, Dylan licensed the song himself and he's been a legend for so long, he can pretty much do anything--save Dancing With the Stars--and still be cool.

19. masswriter

to each their own.

It makes me skip the song, any song, when I hear it. Don't even ask me about the song "Bargain," that one got f****d up for good.

2trackmind and sekaer like this.
  20. masswriter

Dylan gets a pass for that one, he is in it. He still owns the song because its more like a music video.

When such things as heirs with no personal attachment to the song sells it off to corporate shills ... ahhh forget it. Tomorrow is Monday and we'll be neck deep in the world once again like Satan in ice.

21. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

It's disgusting to use great artists' famous songs in this way.

The good thing is, Prince is not here and thus isn't responsible for it, so it needn't affect the way I feel about the song/artist. (Doesn't dispose me towards Prince's sister, though.)

22. HoratioH

HoratioH Talk Sparks to me

Heard that some hardcore Prince fans are shutting down their Capital One accounts over this?!

I wouldn't go that far if I thought music from an artist I respected was being devalued. I'd probably rant a bit on SH, but then push it to the back of my mind.

23. A nice sentiment, but that anti-establishment shtick went out the window when Chubby Checker got his first check, allowing him to make a down payment on a house for his mother.

You only get to snort rails off of a groupie's belly if you have enough cash to pay for the coke.

Dreamers won't make bread, because nobody can work while sleeping. etcetera etcetera etcetera...

24. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I agree. Nothing will take away that feeling of getting the promo at the store and popping it on the turntable
    for the first time. Eventually the purple vinyl promo LP hit the store and I was lucky enough to take it home.
    Still got it. No stinking Capital One ad can take that away from me.
    :--)

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  25. Fab Four Revolution

Fab Four Revolution Forum Resident

I already know Let's Go Crazy so it won't be tainted by whatever commercial plays it. However, I'm pretty young and as such have been introduced to a number of classic songs over the years via ads on television and whether I like it or not, I've usually come to associate those songs with those commercials... much to the delight of those companies marketing teams no doubt.

Unless the advertisement is a legitimately great one in itself (thinking of the Cadbury Gorilla and Phil Collin's In The Air Tonight), it kinda annoys me that whenever I hear Edvard Grieg's classic Morning Mood I always think of some stupid french fries commercial that aired 13 years ago. No it doesn't completely ruin the song, but the experience is tainted a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.