Prince - Lovesexy album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychsound, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I think the album cover killed the Lovesexy album.

I remember hearing Eye No thinking it would be No. 1 on Casey's Coast-to-Coast countdown in no time.

I was surprised the Alphabet St. made the top 10 as i rarely heard in on the radio.

2. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Hey, at least someone on the web agrees with me.
    No. 25

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Jakor/top_100_prince_songs/

3. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Just a quick note that most (all?) currently available new/sealed copies of the Lovesexy CD seem to be UK/EU versions, and while it's not stated explicitly, they are the tracked versions, with each song having its own track number so you can easily skip around.

I got mine off Amazon Marketplace from a UK seller called avatarmusic. It was only $9.45US ($5.46 plus $3.99 shipping). It arrived in only a week, and is in brand new condition. Highly recommended!

c-eling likes this.
  4. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

Does anybody know why the Lovesexy CD is so scarce in the U.S.? Amazon's retail price is $18.99! WHY?

5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Did you just not read Matt's post above? Most likely import...

6. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

7. c-eling

Curious though Matt when those were pressed, and also that there still in print, the LS from the 2012 OAS box has a different back layout
    Edit: It Replicates the lp back, had no idea on the back differences, I previously only had the old cassette of this title

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    tmtomh likes this.
  8. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

Yeah. WHY? In other words, why is it not in print here? WB went all out and pressed a bazillion copies of 1999, Purple Rain, Around The World.... etc. Why not Lovesexy? It's a title they own.

9. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Back out on vinyl 18 October 2016.

tmtomh likes this.
  10. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Maybe Lovesexy was more popular in Europe?

Mal and tmtomh like this.
  11. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

It definitely was, it went to #1 in many European countries, and was at least in top 5 in others, while it only went to #11 in the US.

tmtomh likes this.
  12. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

You're right. From Wikipedia:
    EDIT: @99thfloor confirmed the same info while I was typing. :righton:

13. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Except for the EU vs US catalogue numbers, the copy I just got has identical artwork on the inserts and the disc to the single-track CD I bought in '88 when the album came out.

c-eling likes this.
  14. klyph

klyph Forum Resident

It's best to use a cue splitter if you want separate tracks. There are promo versions with the tracks separated BUT some of the songs are faded out/cut off and don't transition like they do on vinyl/1-track CD.

tmtomh likes this.
  15. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

The most recent US pressing has the tracks split. I have one. Stupid that ITunes has it all one track too.

George P and tmtomh like this.
  16. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

I just found out reletively recently that Eye Know takes its music from the unreleased song The Ball, wherein Prince wrote new lyrics and recorded a new vocal track. I love both songs but never made the connection.

tmtomh likes this.
  17. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Have a listen to Sheena Easton's Cool Love, those three tracks really encapsulate the sound of the LoveSexy era.

18. BKarloff

BKarloff Forum Resident

UK Prince fans take note. If you want the tracked CD of Lovesexy, Sainsburys are currently selling it for just £5.

19. George P

George P Notable Member

I have a SRC-02pressing of this album that is tracked and has the fades to separate the songs. :sigh: It's not a promo.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  20. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

My copy has seperate tracks.
    The album itself, not a fan outside of about two or three songs, his weakest 80s album by far if you ask me.

21. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I remember "Alphabet St." being allowed to play in full on Video View - a segment on Night Network, the first late night (early hours of the morning) music TV show here - with nothing but praise and approval for the song and the video from the presenter and guests.

Here's a random example of the Video View segment [I can't remember who the presenter (probably Mick Brown) or guests were when "Alphabet St." was played]:

As you see, most of the time a song wouldn't last long and would be joked about, sometimes mercilessly - the point of the segment, I suppose.

Also, the Lovesexy tour was a big event on TV in Europe.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

Have to say this fading business ruins the whole flow of the album. :mad:

Do the tracks still blend together on your copy, as with the single track (original) version?

tmtomh likes this.
  23. c-eling

George are they supposed to have cold cuts?
    Quite a few on mine have fades, Lovesexy, Eye No has a cold end, I Wish U Heaven sounds right.
    Can you post track times, I'll see if they match up to mine

24. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Even the indexed CD isn't indexed right. For example, Ana Stesia contains the last few seconds of Glam Slam

25. c-eling

My Ana Stesia is correct 4:58, Glam Slam 5:08 , orchestral outro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.