Prince - Nothing Compares To U studio version finally gets a release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnnyyen, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

It doesn't compare to Sinéad O’Connor's version, IMO.

But Sinéad's is frustrating in that the recording is really crappy (I have several pressings, including a UK 12" 45 EP... to no avail). :realmad:

TheMovieRad and SteveCooks like this.
  2. True. You can hear Prince, but like "Girl" for instance, Morris hadn't come into his voice quite yet, so he did a horrible job. The song deserves better.

Also, one I'd really like to hear is "3x2=6" with Prince vocals, from the Vanity 6 album. I think Prince vocals could make these lost gems relevant again.

3. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

Has anyone side-by-sided this with that was leaked a few months back? I believe that one was labeled as the guide vocal for the The Family recording as was mentioned previously.

bataclan2002 likes this.
  4. phish

phish Jack Your Body

The pre-order price on the picture 7" is crazy, as you have to at least get a t-shirt with it, but you can't take money with you when you die.

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah I wonder if he did leads on any of the Vanity 6 studio stuff. Does anything exist? I got a Vanity 6 promo LP for a $ 1 at a record show. Best $ 1 spent! This needs to get reissued.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  6. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

When you die you can’t take a 7” picture disc with you either.

Sordel and phish like this.
  7. phish

phish Jack Your Body

True, but I can listen to a record and money just sits there and does nothing. ;)

AlanDistro likes this.
  8. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

:whistle:
    Depends where it’s sitting. It can grooooow. :cool:

9. phish

phish Jack Your Body

Again true, but my pile of money that I buy music with is in a separate pile than the money I save.

TonyCzar likes this.
  10. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Yeah, on Apple Music streaming too, sounds wonderful, and i will make do with that unless released on CD in the future.

bartels76 likes this.
  11. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I always wind up with a ton of Amazon mp3 credit that I never use (Amazon gives them away just for selecting no-rush shipping) , and it will be available to download from Amazon this Saturday for $1.29, so I'll just get it there.

12. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

epic

TonyCzar likes this.
  13. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm kinda feeling alternate-universe when people moan that it's too much like the known released versions. (Disclaimer: I never heard the Family version.)

First verse, I was like, OMFG!

Jayseph and EVOLVIST like this.
  14. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Well, paying for rent and food is far from "nothing"...

15. Andrecrabtree

Andrecrabtree Forum Resident

This actually leaked last year along with his vocal versions of the other songs from The Family album and also a couple of other songs considered for the album but were left off. They were Feline, which was only previously available as a poor sound quality instrumental and Paisley Park (Instrumental), a different track completely to the Around The world song.

The songs together make a great Prince album, if you don't already have them they are worth tracking down.

This official release has much better sound quality. I hope the estate release all the Prince versions of the Family songs officially soon.

Freek999 likes this.
  16. Yeah, but that's why I don't do the boots, errr...leaks, anymore. 26 years of listening to crap audio, swirly digital MP3s over FTP servers. I mean, I guess it's good for archive purposes, but there's a tendency to get those planted in one's head, and it becomes gospel, when it shouldn't be. :)

I'm not calling you out. Believe me, I'm not. Now that Prince is gone, I'll just wait for the estate to complete the picture of Prince's life in music.

ad180 likes this.
  17. phish

phish Jack Your Body

That's a different pile of money for me as well.

18. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I have no interest in a lossy compressed mp3, so I'm holding out for 7digital. Maybe a flac at least and can't imagine they would price it at $4.29 like Tidal is.

19. daveidmarx

Same here, but I'd rather save money (and space) rather than spend it on trinkets like picture discs. Just give me the black vinyl 45, thank you! Huge Beatle fan that I am, I also didn't purchase last year's Sgt. Pepper picture disc for the same reason!

TheMovieRad likes this.
  20. daveidmarx

Yeah, but there's no telling how long that wait will be, or if they'll ever get around to releasing a particular track! At least with the leaks, you can compile them as you see fit right now. And should an upgrade appear down the road, it's STILL a treat! I remember being overjoyed about The Black Album finally getting an official release six years after I had originally bought the vinyl boot!

Jayseph likes this.
  21. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I haven’t seen a black 45 for this or I would have opted for that. I’m sure one is coming.

22. Andrecrabtree

Andrecrabtree Forum Resident

Some of the leaks in the past couple of years have been in perfect sound quality. In fact I was told sone came direct from the Warner bris vault. Have you heard, 9-5 People, Emotional Pump, Come Electra Tuesday, Adonis and Bathsheba, Empty Room, Old Friends 4 Sale and All My Dreams? Great songs in perfect quality.

Freek999 likes this.
  23. daveidmarx

phish likes this.
  24. Again, not calling you out. I'm the one who's jaded. I've heard the whole "perfect SQ" spiel over "Rebirth of the Flesh" (I can still hear tape flutter in the beginning), "A Large Room with No Light," "Witness for the Prosecution," and on and on.

Ever notice how people started selling off what they had, for people to actually purchase bootlegs, of the stuff that was coming out on the Purple Rain Deluxe set, before the album actually dropped? These folks are simply re-EQing the already circulating leaks with rudimentary mastering jobs.

@daveidmarx - I mean, yeah, there's nothing wrong with any of that. I know where you're coming from, and none of us are promised tomorrow. Just look at Prince for an example.

I guess I just grew sick of the know-it-all trading circles, the bootleg bibles, and hearing the same old piss poor SQ, only this time EQed to sound like a different leak. :thumbsdow

ad180 likes this.
  25. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Not sure the video is working for me.

Sure, every vudeo of Prince in full flightnis precious. And I guess it is kind of synchronised to the music. But it looks weird to use footage of them dancing along to a track that is clearly much more up tempo then NC2U

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.