Prince - Purple Rain Deluxe Edition 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wolfram, Jun 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Can anyone comment on what audio tracks are contained on the DVD? LPCM?

2. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

LPCM

[​IMG]

3. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Mine arrived earlier today from Amazon UK.
    I was surprised to see it a day early but I'm not complaining.
    I sort of expected a bigger package, maybe like the current Jethro Tull book sets but it's as shown above - a fat digipac thing.
    Haven't split it open yet or listened but I'm planning a serious session later tonight.

4. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Not really scared of that waveform image. I'm a big fan of the Michael Jackson "Special Edition" releases, which look similar.

Anyone complaining should seek out the original, cheaply-attainable CD of 'Purple Rain', which is immensely enjoyable.

tmtomh, DrJ and ccbarr like this.
  5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Don't let the waveforms scare you. Listen and then decide how it sounds.

I've been traveling in the U.K. and won't hear these until next week. I'm happy with my original vinyl, but hoping for a good sounding remaster.

Ps the original US LP is much better than the CD, so don't discount the remaster until you've heard it! :)

6. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Thank you...that's great news...this set may be salvagable after all.

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Hey, if you are iffy about this new remaster, grab the old one in hi-rez before it's too late!

jhm and Jason Manley like this.
  8. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I second this! I was doing some A/B comparisons yesterday and today between both and the hi-rez is easily the best digital version in my opinion

9. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Glad I still have the 24/96 HD Tracks download. I am excited to have that Disc 3 though. All of those single edits in one place.

10. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

I have the 24/96 HDTracks download as well, and that will still be my go-to for the album tracks, but happy disc 2 and 3 don't suffer as much as disc one. Those are the tracks I was after anyway. And the DVD of course.

Jason Manley likes this.
  11. HotelYorba101

[​IMG]

For comparison, the top waveform is the new remaster of Computer Blue (FLAC). The bottom is the HDTracks version of Computer Blue converted to 320kps AAC for my iPod (the original HDTracks file is on my other hard drive)

12. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Where? I thought they pulled it soon after it came out.

13. HotelYorba101

Oh man the extended 12' inch mix of Erotic City does have a pretty horrible dropout right in the very start, ouch! The good news is, I think that it isn't remastered so you can easily switch it out with a "regular" version in your digital library and be none the wiser. However I cannot believe that got through quality control, that is a pretty crazy sonic anomaly

Imperfections aside, the Vault disk has great dynamic range and the tracks are all really awesome. Wonderful Ass sounds 10x better than any bootleg that is out there, the Hallway version of Computer Blue is an improvement, and The Dance Electric is a cool early solo Prince version so its a nice variation from the versions we all know and love. And We Can **** is worth the price of admission as it is, a fantastic version

14. 007james

007james Forum Resident

I have the 24/192 of Purple Rain and it sounds great. Seems like most of the prince catalog is no longer available on HDTracks, sorry to go off topic a bit....

15. Grant

Oh, I thought it was still available.

Oh well, I still have the original WEA CD pressing, and another poster says the unreleased and edit discs aren't brickwalled so much, so, perhaps i'll buy that set anyway. I have to get it soon because it won't always be around.

Prince did the album remaster. Two things that come to mind: most artists have no business remastering their own stuff, and two, WB didn't have to use this remaster. They could have done it again.

RevolutionDoctor likes this.
  16. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

You're absolutely right. The people that write and record the music shouldn't have any say over how it sounds. What do they know?

17. Grant

That's because artists get revision-itis. They love to change things. They have no objectivity. Even the host of this forum say this.

Why do you think artists hire remastering engineers? It's because they lack the skill to do it themselves, and are smart enough to know it. Mastering engineers have specialized tools and rooms specially made for the purpose. Mastering engineers spend years, decades to hone their skills, and they never stop learning and improving.

18. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

Wonderful to finaly have We can funk etc. in decent quality. Sounds ok in Spotify Premium, can't wait for the physical release to arrive.

Must be one of the best reissue releases ever in terms of the quality of the unreleased material.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Freek999 and azjvm05 like this.
  19. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Hi-res Purple Rain will be available tomorrow at HDtracks, maybe it'll be the version that was released a few years back and then pulled.

20. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Sooo glad I find this site and discovering the flaws of remasters. Gonna have to skip this one, the o e that came out some years ago great to me.

21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

So does anyone know ... is the digital download just discs 1-3, or does it also include the concert tracks?

22. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I would venture a guess the chances of that are somewhere between hell no and F no. :laugh:

Christopher B and sparkmeister like this.
  23. George P

George P Notable Member

I thought the concert tracks are only on the DVD.

J_D__ and AGimS like this.
  24. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Ha, thanks guys. I though maybe for once, for once....

:whistle:

25. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Definitely won't include the DVD audio, it'll probably be the deluxe edition (discs 1-3) and maybe an option for just the main album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.