Prince - Purple Rain Deluxe Edition 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wolfram, Jun 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Exactly.

It's amazing how much **** I got in other threads on here complaining about this release, when the tracklist was announced. Yet, here we are. WB doesn't have access to the actual vault (which companies are currently bidding on digitally transferring) and thus, we get this sup-par shambles.

dee and CBackley like this.
  2. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Any more reviews of the concert audio which is really my main interest in the set? I plan on ripping it to listen to. Already have watched the concert and wont be rewatching but the audio is the appeal. The original audio was thin, distorted, and not very clear. I am hoping the audio actually sounds official release worthy rather than a cheap soundboard bootleg which is how the original audio track was.

3. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Yes, according to the booklet:

"All tracks for CD 2 remastered by Bernie Grundman at Bernie Grundman Mastering, Hollywood, CA"

"All tracks for CD 3 remastered by Bernie Grundman at Bernie Grundman Mastering, Hollywood, CA"

And for the DVD:

"Sound mastered by Bernie Grundman at Bernie Grundman Mastering, Hollywood, CA"

CBackley and superstar19 like this.
  4. The Erotic City and Hallway Speech dropouts are easy enough to fix. Anybody notice any more? Has anybody checked their HDTracks downloads to make sure they are all 24/96?

5. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Urgh, they are scum.

6. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

I'm surprised that so many people here are concerned about the remaster. The original isn't a problem and this certainly isn't being pitched as an audiophile release. What were people expecting?

mikedifr0923 and fatwad666 like this.
  7. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

azjvm05 likes this.
  8. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

I don't. It's not very often a remaster improves on the original so my expectations are pretty low in that regard.

snowman872 and mikedifr0923 like this.
  9. BlueGangsta

Then by that logic, if you've already paid for the original... why pay for it again?

10. bek0727

bek0727 Forum Resident

I'm loving the new remaster. The lows are much more balanced and the whole thing sounds clearer and more pristine, but not harsh. A/Bing the original version has been interesting. I think it's a major improvement.

Vel and azjvm05 like this.
  11. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

12. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

The Dance Electric doesn't have Wendy & Lisa on it anymore?? So it's completely different from the bootlegged version?

13. BlueGangsta

Correct. The one on here is Prince's original 1984 version, without W&L and guitar.

Frankly, I'm glad to have both.

14. Because 4Ever and the PR Deluxe were already promised/signed for/under "contact" for WB to release while Prince was alive. I'm not sure if there was an actual signature from Prince, or an email, or whatever it was, but whatever it was, the presiding judge did not bar the releases, and neither did the family, unlike what they did with Jay-Z and the already delivered album(s) to Tidal.

So, in a twist of irony, it is WB digging into their crap vaults, instead of P's, which were not open (and still not open) to be gone through.

WB had to make their money NOW, lest they compete with the family.

I won't claim this to 100% accuracy, but it went down very similar. WB had all legal rights to put out these two releases.

15. geekzapoppin

geekzapoppin Forum Resident

The remastered original album is definitely crazy loud and harsh. I had to turn my stereo down.

I have a theory. Let me start by saying I'm not judging Prince. He was a genius and I totally understand how someone can become addicted to painkillers after being prescribed them for chronic pain. One of the side effects of heavy opiate use is hearing loss. Since this remaster was created during a time when Prince was taking quite a few opiates, it's possible that his hearing was affected to the point where he wasn't able to properly hear the music any longer and so the brickwalled remaster sounded just fine to him. It's just a theory and I have absolutely no concrete proof of this, but it would explain a lot about the sound quality of his last releases.

16. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

And now, because this has been released, we will never have a "proper" Purple Rain Deluxe (or at least not in a long time), nor even a reissue catalog that has any consistency.

Thanks for clarifying. :thumbsup:

For providing you with that for free?

17. englishbob

The version I have literally just listened to on CD2 has Wendy and Lisa on backing vocals

18. sdldawn

sdldawn Forum Resident

It's just guitar that's missing

19. BlueGangsta

It's either Prince singing falsetto or you've got a very special edition.

20. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Because of discs 2, 3 & 4.

Talking of which, I've ranted many times on this forum about having to buy an album all over again just to get extra tracks. It's the biggest con in the music business. What surprises me is the amount of people on this forum particularly who don't see the problem in this an would actually rather buy the album all over again.

Frank Irons and Freek999 like this.
  21. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Check again :)

22. englishbob

[​IMG]

23. BlueGangsta

Yep. Where's Jill Jones' credit on We Can ****? Also, the date for that is almost certainly wrong.

CBackley likes this.
  24. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

The first thing I did was to level the volume of the 1st cd with the 3rd on. Since the 3rd cd has the single versions, it's pretty easy to do (in iTunes).

25. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

There is no answer to that which is worth giving. With respect, we come from different universes my friend, regarding sound quality, acceptable artist remuneration and probably much more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.