Prince (re)-signs with Warner Bros., new album coming in 2014, along with expanded catalogue*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

I think that Crystal Ball 2 was teased in 1999 or 2000, I'm sure that it will be released any day now as well as The Chocolate Invasion box set and the deluxe edition of 20Ten.;)

EVOLVIST, longaway and Purple Jim like this.
  2. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Wrong ... it's the same album.

3. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

There will be loads more. There is a bootleg of "Something in the water" done mostly on piano, which is incredible.

4. englishbob

There will be, yes. As well as IIRC an offical live recording made in London, both audio AND video.

Here is one such bootleg of DM outtakes I picked up along in my travels...

Prince dumb.jpg

5. englishbob

Of course a lot of bootlegs/alternate takes will probably not make it to any deluxe editions. As Prince is now in charge, I doubt very much everyone is going to get what they want out of it.

At a minimum, I will be disappointed if the full Computer Blue and that alternate version of Something in the Water don't make it, as they are fairly complete by some of the bootleg standards.

6. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

I seriously hope that the re-issues come complete with live DVD/blu-ray footage. I think Purple Rain should at least have that concert that was released on VHS as part of the package. Prince is seriously underserved by vintage live performance on DVD/blu-ray.

7. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

The Black Album is the Black Album. Same 8 songs we've always known. There have been bootlegs over the years which tacked extra songs onto the end, but they are not part of that album.

The only known Dirty Mind outtake is "Lisa". Other songs listed on the above pictured boot, are from later. All of that "Vibrator" stuff, for example, comes from 1983, sessions for the aborted 2nd Vanity 6 album.

Dflow and Mij Retrac like this.
  8. DownInAHole

Indeed. It may be too much to hope for but other than For You and Prince (and maybe Batman) there are already full length concerts circulating that could be added to each of his WB era albums. On each tour he changed up the setlists and arrangements enough that I don't think fans would find it boring to have fifteen live concerts on DVD.

Maurice likes this.
  9. As much as I love Prince I always thought the use of his music in Batman wrecked the film. It seemed forced in.

10. DownInAHole

Hush that fuss!

longaway, theholygoof and Mij Retrac like this.
  11. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Well you are in for treat. His out takes are one of the few artists where the material is up to the standards of the released material.

John Rhett Thomas and Mij Retrac like this.
  12. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Thankfully, the soundtrack stands on its own. Underrated, IMHO

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

How can you not love The Joker dancing around the museum to Partyman? :)

14. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

zen archer likes this.
  15. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Purple Rain is playing at Alamo Drafthouse Theaters this month.

16. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

RoyalScam and Mij Retrac like this.
  17. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

Listening to Dream Factory right now.

I have not been this hopeful where Prince is concerned for over a decade.

This is the best birthday present this Paisleyhead could get!

Mij Retrac likes this.
  18. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

I've got the first CD version of Purple Rain (never heard the vinyl) and never thought it sounded that good (sonics, not the music of course). To those of you in the know, was the actual recording such that it could benefit from a good remaster?

19. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Well some of the songs were live recordings but I don't see why not. The latest vinyl rerelease sounds good.

20. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Hmm... never knew that; I always thought much of that was the production.

21. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I would love to hear the material that was scrapped from the Camille, Dream Factory, and Crystal Ball albums that eventually because Sign O' The Times. Maybe a SOTT box set with all of those combinations?

On a side note, the song 'Crystal Ball' is one of the coolest things I have ever heard!

22. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Yeah there is some info here about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Rain_(album)
    Let's Go Crazy sounds like it was recorded live also but it wasn't recorded at the same show.

23. sugarbuzz

sugarbuzz Forum Resident

Maybe we'll see an official release of "The Rebels" album from 1979. If this affects "associated" acts, possibly a re-release of The Family LP?

Mij Retrac likes this.
  24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I really think that all we're going to see is a re-release of his core catalog of albums.

Anything beyond that is probably not going to sell enough copies to a wide enough audience to make it worthwhile for Warner Bros. to invest any effort in.

25. sugarbuzz

sugarbuzz Forum Resident

Maybe Rhino Handmade can get involved with some limited editions of the more niche stuff!

Mark_TB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.