Prince removed his music from all streaming services except for Tidal

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

He's just a different guy. That's always been part of his appeal no matter how much it turns some off. I'll bet at this stage of his life the last thing he cares about is winning over the youth of America who mostly love crap. Love him or hate him. He dances to the beat of his own F'd up drum. He's an artist in the truest and most age old sense of the word. If anything, I like him a little more for that.

Merrick, goodiesguy, Jim B. and 7 others like this.
  2. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

3. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Game..... BLOUSES!!! I've seen this countless times... Still so freakin' funny! :biglaugh:

Leviathan likes this.
  4. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

When it comes to establishing and maintaining the legacy of his recorded output, Prince is his own worst enemy. Prince has tried every scheme from running his own download website (which seemed like a debacle) to doing bizarre things like giving away his new albums for free with Sunday issues of UK rags or selling a triple CD for $10 exclusively at Target. Ever since he quit being a "slave" to WB he has bounced around from one weird scheme to another to release his music. Putting it up exclusively on Tidal just seems like the latest (I'm sure he got a very persuasive phone call from Jay Z who needs all the help he can get to rescue Tidal).

All the knee-jerk reactions of some artists to put their music up on streaming then yank it back down is the prime reason I still buy downloads or CDs of new stuff I really love, even though I am an avid Spotify user.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    daveidmarx likes this.
  5. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Get ready for lots of artists who have control of their catalogs to be making exclusive agreements with various streaming services. It is the future, hopefully it will drive people back to music ownership, which can't be taken away.

6. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

He's my favorite artist, but..... What an a$$hole!!!

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

his loss first and foremost...the reason for writing music and wanting to be FAMOUS is to share your dream with others and make a BIG paycheck...I guess he's bathing in coin.

8. Michael

yes, unless they stop making real product which could happen eventually...I say could as I'm hoping it's won't.

9. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I agree. It's could become like the movie cable channels. You only see certain studios movies on specific channels. To see all the movies you'll need to subscribe to all the channels. That would suck ten fold for music.

10. Michael

semi sweet...at least they will escape the "collector" syndrome! it happens without warning! suddenly your spending money with reckless abandon on vinyl, Cds, DVDs....etc...!

11. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I think Prince has been talking to Dave Clark ! Prince needs to keep his music out there because as it is 1 single best of cd is probably what most people have heard of his music which is a shame because you dig a little deeper and the rewards are big!

12. music and movies

music and movies Forum Resident

Prince said the Internet was over...

daveidmarx and turnersmemo like this.
  13. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Which would actually prove that these artist are doing it right, since they want us to buy their music.

14. moops

moops Senior Member

I love it !
    Prince messing with the kids' heads by not giving them everything on a platter and they can't handle it. :thumbsup:

jeffsab likes this.
  15. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

Not really. "The kids" don't know who he is anymore, or have only a passing knowledge of a few big hits like "1999" or "Little Red Corvette" and such. Everybody else already has the records or CDs or whatever. It comes down to screwing with not much more than his own legacy and future as a viable, creative force (as opposed to a greatest-hits legacy act). The old fans (with the exception of the diehards) won't buy the new album if they can't hear the songs anywhere and see if they dig it. The new fans flat-out won't ever likely exist for the same reason, as they'll only know him as "some older artist who was apparently a big deal once but I dunno why since it seems like none of his songs are anywhere." Sure, if they really wanted to they could just go buy the CDs blind, but that's not a risk many average listeners are willing to take, young or old (especially young, since they probably don't even own CD players and have no interest in owning discs even if they do have a device capable of ripping them).

I just can't see any way these extreme stances help him at all. If anything, that kid who does hear a few Prince songs somewhere and wants to hear more, only to find none of it is available on any streaming service or digital download, is the kid who's going to go pirate his whole discography because it's the only practical way for them to get it. (Unless they want to go buy that CD player they probably don't have, too.) Meanwhile, everybody else will just ignore everything he does because it's too much trouble to check out even one of the singles, let alone any of the other tracks. Hell, I have a feeling you could probably find a lot of people who would call themselves big Prince fans and own all his classic records who'd have no idea that he's even released any new albums within the past couple years. They fly completely under the radar unless you're regularly reading music news/discussion-type sites. They probably wouldn't fly so far under the radar if they were more accessible.

16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I bet Prince received a good offer for exclusivity and that's the reason for the move.

turnersmemo and noname74 like this.
  17. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

...and AC/DC has just made its music available on streaming sites. :D

I'll take that trade.

18. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Maybe he's gonna start going door to door and spread the word.

goodiesguy and GentleSenator like this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

...with his new triple-cd packaged inside a copy of Watchtower.

20. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

A sizable portion of Prince's catalog was on Spotify for quite awhile, so it's not like he's making an uninformed decision as to the value that service provided for him. The Beatles have yet to appear on a streaming service, but it's safe to say that they're not wanting for awareness. Taylor Swift had the best-selling album last year without streaming it on Spotify. Maybe some artists have a good reason to believe that streaming their music for free is not in their best interest?

Walk into virtually any Urban Outfitters and you'll be able to pick up Purple Rain on vinyl. Plenty of kids know Prince. He's a cultural icon all over the world. If you want to see kids give you a blank stare, ask them about Chicago or Rod Stewart. They may be on Spotify, but no one under the age of 40 cares. Most musicians fail to translate to later generations; Prince is not among that group.

The problem with Prince's new material for the last 20 or so years is that it's overwhelmingly forgettable, not that there's been a lack of exposure. He's done plenty of touring, TV appearances, and promotion. Both Art Official Age and Plectrumelectrum were on Spotify when they were released. It didn't matter because those albums simply weren't memorable. There's absolutely a contemporary audience for his style of music if it's done well - check out the reception that D'Angelo's Black Messiah has received, for example. Hell, I'd say D'Angelo knocked out the best "Prince" song of the 21st century back in 2000: "Untitled (How Does It Feel)".

21. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

What? He does not even allow any cover versions? That is so wrong. Somebody tell him about Beck who released an album's worth of new songs as a songbook for amateurs to cover, way before putting out recordings of those songs by himself. And that was a good way of spreading the word by engaging the crowd.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  22. music and movies

He has removed the presence of his music from the internet, which is where young people stay in touch with older culture. When people can't hear or perform your music, any traces of relevance disappear.

Nice going, Prince.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. music and movies

Well, this is the only video that features the studio version of "1999." All other versions have been muted.

24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Yeah, the Chicago School of Rock did a Prince show. I had excellent versions of Lets Go Crazy, 1999 and When Doves Cry and a totally killer version of The Undertaker. The kids brought it on the last, and there were more than 15,000 views and some great comments from older musicians praising their playing. One really memorable one was from a bass player saying that the 11 year old bassist was "in the pocket.

One morning I woke up to see that Prince had issued two DMCA Takedown notices the night before. I quickly deleted all the other videos, as the third "strike" would cost me every other video on my channel.

I do a multicamera concert shoot, but every video gets taken down, including the ones parents shoot with cell phones. The School of Rock music directors have got the message, and are now staying away from doing Prince shows - they don't need disappointed kids and pissed-off parents. And thousands of young musicians don't learn the lessons that Prince's music could teach them if he wasn't such a selfish jerk.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    longaway, Freek999 and BobFever like this.
  25. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Thanks for the story. This is a rather disturbing way of not accepting a tribute show. Did his people even understand it was a tribute show? They certainly didn't seem to care about what it was, they were just following the formula, it seems.

BobFever likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.