Prince shore did smoke at the R&R hall of fame induction ceremony. ...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by hamburgerpimp, Mar 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hamburgerpimp

hamburgerpimp New Member Thread Starter

Incidentally, where were Bob Dylan and Eric Clapton for the George tribute?

2. dcooper

dcooper New Member

1. Prince was the most deserving honoree this year, and it was great to see him embrace his back catalog. However, he really shouldn't treat his Tele that way!

2. It was a little refreshing to hear someone other than Clapton play the "Weeps" solo and I would have been shocked if Dylan were there.

3. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Prince was indeed as hot as could be imagined. If anyone has any doubts about who the most naturally gifted performer of his generation is, they should vanish after watching Prince's brief HOF set.

His movement is still so, um, don't know what the right word is - graceful? Normally, aging takes its toll on the even the best performers - Springsteen can still rock any stage loud and hard and long, but even he no longer moves like he used to. Prince is just defying the aging process, he is as good or better than he ever was.

Looking forward to the June Detroit show, may the ticket gods smile upon me next weekend.

4. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

5. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

His performance was definitely impressive, and it was bizarre to see him playing next to Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne. Anyone know if these musicians rehearse together at all prior to the show? It was curious that at the end of the song, he tossed his guitar and left the stage, obviously not interested in fraternizing with the other performers. His induction was also interesting. Was Alicia Keys stoned or does she always act that way? Even though I'm a huge Prince fan, I came away from the show thinking that he's one arrest away from being treated by the media in the same way they treat Michael Jackson. In other words, talent aside, he's clearly a strange duck.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Prince isn't really that strange. It's all image. Unlike Jackson, he's doesn't have a thing for boys, and doesn't try to put forth an image of innocence. Prince knows he's a man and acts like one.

But he has been reported recently going door-to-door prosletysing for the Jehovas' Witnesses in his home town. Jackson used to be one...

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Prince looked and sounded great, and I'm sure he's gonna try and make a comeback, hence his extremely energetic performances, both solo and as part of the George Harrison tribute.

An extremely talented man, one of the few that can do the "one man band" bit and make it work.

Evan

8. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I just bought tickets for the New Jersey Continental Airlines Arena show in July about 40 minutes ago. The last time I saw Prince live was on the Controversy Tour back in 1981 (I think it was '81), at the Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ.

I look forward to seeing what the man has up his sleeve in the 20 years+ since I last saw him live. (I do have 95% of all the official music he has released on CD, 12inch, etc.).

9. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

:bigeek: Amazing. Thanks for the footage. I'll have to catch the reruns.

10. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

As far as fraternizing, I doubt that Prince belongs to any musicians' fraternity - no risk of him being the next Wilbury. Contrary to the toss-and-bolt at the end, I did like the interplay he had with Petty and Lynne as far as the eye contact they seemed to be making during the song. Definitely seemed to be enjoying the interaction, and of course it resulted in a good performance.

Alicia Keys unfortunately seems to always act that way...I am a big fan but have learned to mute the sound on my TV when she is speaking. Usually comes across as very young, stoned, or otherwise less than coherent. Too bad, because she is a good musician and a promising artist.

I would not put Prince and Jacko together in the same way you do - they each have indeed constructed their own parallel worlds that often don't intersect with reality, but Prince's world is definitely one of a restless artist and showman. Jacko's is something different...

I am hoping for the big Prince comeback where he re-engages a mass audience. His tour is supposed to be the "hits" and he obviously knows it is time to embrace them (although his HOF performance shows that they can be as fresh as any new material...)

11. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

So is Candy Dulfer going on this tour with him? I loved her playing on Van Morrison's "Hymns to the Silence" and she did great on her short solo at the hall. I really enjoyed seeing Prince merge the roles of guitar-solo-god with sideman-watching-Petty. Never seen Prince do the band member thing before but he sure pulled that off magnificently!

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Plus, he does it in high heels. Let's see Bruce pull that one off. :)

Regards,

13. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Great clip; thanks! (BTW: where did the guitar go?)
    I enjoyed the show. Gotta wonder why Dave Mason didn't play with Traffic; only during the final jam. I heard that Winwood wanted him to play bass. Keith's "speech" inducting ZZ Top was on the casual side :shh: I obviously enjoyed Bruce's induction speech for Jackson Browne but also liked what Kid Rock had to say about Bob Seeger. Also I really enjoyed hearing young Dhani Harrison speak.
    Wonder why they don't put these out on DVD...
    Anyway-good show
    Best-
    Norm

14. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

The guitar went into the able hands of his guitar tech, Takumi. This guy is super nice... I got to hang out with him before a show once. He's been in charge of Prince's guitars for years... I got to see his Hofner Tele copy, the blue "Cloud Guitar" and the infamous Symbol guitar.

Anyway, Takumi is always right in front of the stage... he has all of Prince's guitars next to him, plus supplies for maintenance and tuning during the show. His most important duty is to watch Prince at all times, cause he'll never know when a guitar will be coming his way. ;)

15. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Unfortunately, his show here is at the Palace, a structure that I set foot in once in my life and have no desire to visit ever again. Acoustics are horrible, IMHO...just a big sweaty arena. I saw him when he toured for "1999". He began his tour in Detroit, three nights at the Masonic Temple. A definite musical highlight for me! The three shows sold out and I recall he added three more. :) If he were to tour smaller venues, or hit some of the outdoor venues, I might be interested. If he's appearing in better venues in other nearby cities, though, I would not be adverse to making a road trip.

16. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

This new tour is "in the round," so you'll have good seats just about anywhere. I saw him when he did it in 1988. It was the arena in Cinci, and although I've seen other shows there (with bad sound), the fact that it was in the round helped the acoustics. Your mileage may vary.

17. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Thanks for inserting that image in my head, Ken. Bruce risin' on up in some stilettos. And you thought his working class fan base screamed when he moved to Cali and ditched the E Street Band...

I would love to see a pairing of Bruce and Prince doing "Little Red Corvette".

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Anybody else think it's strange that for the induction of George as a solo artist they played... a Beatles song?

19. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Yes. I thought it was very strange. I also thought it was strange playing a Traveling Wilburys song, too. :(

20. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

You think the stilettos would work with that homoerotic undercurrent that Bruce was talking about?

21. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

LOL. Bruce's speech was pretty hilarious....

22. RDK

RDK Active Member

Bruce's speach *was* funny. But what was the deal with Dave Matthews? If anyone was stoned...

23. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Well, I doubt anyone really expected Dylan to show up. I read something this morning on the Abbeyrd site where Clapton said that he was offered the opportunity to induct George, but he thought it was time someone else had a chance to pay tribute to George.

Norm, what I heard was, as you said, Winwood wanted Mason to play bass on "Dear Mr. Fantasy", as he had done on the original recording. Mason said he didn't want to play an instrument he hadn't picked up in some 35 years, and instead suggested he and Winwood both play guitar, and trade off leads during the song. Windwood apparently wouldn't agree to this, so Mason just sat out the song.

24. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

I am a huge Prince fan, but I do have a criticism of his recent live shows. I saw him live 3 years ago. I also have watched live performances since then, such as on his DVDs. When I saw him he didn't play a SINGLE COMPLETE VERSION of any of his old songs. Instead he played snippets and medleys. For example, Purple Rain,he sang the first verse and the chorus and then went into the end guitar solo. He sang like one verse from Girls and Boys, half of Kiss, etc etc. And half the time he shoved the microphone toward the audience and shouted "you sing!". No, Prince, YOU sing, that's what I"m paying you for. I would rather him play complete versions of songs, even if it means that he doesn't play the old stuff, than play a BIT of a classic tune. It felt like a tease and a cheat.

25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Prince's appeal is that he is a real musician and songwriter, and he always put on a hot show that has somehting for everyone. He is supposed to be working on a new album. If he plays it right, and gets good distrubution, he could put himself back on the map. It's clearly not too late. IMO, all he has to do is stay away from overdoing the hip-hop/rap. He has successfully incorporated it into his music in the past, but it's really not his style. As long as he can get as funky as his classic stuff like "Sexy MF", and "Let's Work", and rock like "Purple Rain" he will have it made. And, a bit of his signature naughty lyric couldn't hurt, although I doubt well ever hear that from him again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.