Prince takes his ball and goes home

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris DeVoe, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I do understand your frustration. He does tend to enforce his legal rights to almost an absurd degree (doubly absurd considering how much of his own unreleased music he has leaked). There's no guessing where his mind is at.

2. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Self-promotion at the expense of Prince.. now I see. I've been suckered!

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

I'm saying he's acting like a jerk by the standards of his peers, quite apart from my posting a cover version.

4. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

If you said that to him I'm sure he'd explain that of course he doesn't act like them....they aren't his peers. He's peer-less. :winkgrin:

serge likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

No, I posted that as an example of what a mature, rational bunch of musicians does when they see a bunch of kids covering one of their songs. They found the video and shared it with their fans.

7. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Wow. Unreal! Crazy. Shocking!

I mean, Prince has always been such a normal dude. :doh:

8. Chris DeVoe

Seriously? I've always seen him as a collection of influences, most of which he wears on his sleeve, rather than someone who has really blazed trails.

9. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

You start a Prince bashing thread on a music forum, then feign concern over his musical legacy? I suspect self-promotion was the motive. The bottom line is this: your perceived mutual benefit does not entitle you to use other peoples work however you want, whatever the cause.

bobfrombob and Scott222C like this.
  10. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I'm guessing that young people aren't really his principal audience these days... ;)

11. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

I deleted my facebook 6 years ago...get with the times Prince

12. Chris DeVoe

No, I saw a Tweet to a link about a major musical artist doing something stupid and self-destructive and I posted it here. It was practically an intervention.

There is a VH1 reality show in here somewhere, where Wendy and Lisa, Dr. Fink, and a half-dozen of Prince's former band-mates confront Prince about how his idiotic, self-destructive acts are not only hurting himself, but everyone he claims to love.

And self-promotion? Are you serious? Do you think I have ever sold a single copy to anyone who wasn't a blood relation to the kids featured in the videos? The Violent Femmes video is adorable, full stop.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  13. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Good for him! Of course the correct thing to be teaching young folks is that it is OK to cover someone's work and put it online. Seems trivial, but a lousy ethic to teach. Play it, learn it, but putting it online without permission is wrong. As to the "free ads", there are NO free ads on any Google service.

I actually respect him getting off of FB and Twitter. I'm not really a fan, but would love to see one of his shows as I truly believe he is one of the best musicians of our time.

Scott222C likes this.
  14. rogerdodger

rogerdodger Well-Known Member

Oh Lord, the things they post on Facebook, for example:

I baked a cake, here's a photo!

Comments:
    delicious!
    could you send me a piece of that!
    lovely!
    I could smell it over here!
    Etc....

I think Prince is nuts but deleting twitter and Facebook accounts are the sanest thing he ever did.

Scott222C, vernon and Macman like this.
  15. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Frankly, I can't imagine this actually exists. The same guy who so zealously protects his image allows himself to be dragged into an intervention with his employees and have it all filmed for some half-assed reality show? Really?

D.D.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think you misunderstood. I think Chris feels that "intervention" show would be a good idea, but he doesn't claim it exists...

Chris DeVoe and Diamond Dog like this.
  17. ganma

ganma Senior Member

Prince doesn't want to see his songs tortured by amateurs on Youtube. Makes sense. What's not to understand? It's his music. Let him do what he wants with it.

Scott222C and Hippie Saint like this.
  18. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Thanks - long day. :)

It would be a helluva thing, though wouldn't it? :-popcorn:

D.D.

19. Chris DeVoe

Have you never heard a good cover, ever, by anyone? Should a song never be covered by anyone other than the original artist, or some specially selected group that the writer deems "worthy"? If that's what you're suggesting, that would invalidate a large part of my music collection.

20. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

+1

21. Hippie Saint

Hippie Saint Well-Known Member

Agreed, and if it was Melanie, she'd probably be crying out, ''Look what have done to my song ma!''

vernon likes this.
  22. ganma

ganma Senior Member

I love a good cover, but the point is it's his music. Leave him alone and he'll leave you alone. Just because he wrote a popular song doesn't mean he or his music is public property. It's not. And he chooses to enforce his rights as he sees fit. Respect that.

groovelocked and Scott222C like this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

OK, we're going around in circles. Have I ever said that it wasn't his copyright? Nearly every time I post a video of a cover song, the YouTube Content ID System identifies the track, and I click a little button that acknowledges that fact. That was never the question. The sole question is whether or not Prince is being a jerk by (to borrow Frank Zappa's memorable phrase from his testimony at the PMRC hearing) doing something that is "the equivalent of treating dandruff by decapitation". As I've said several times, using examples, analogies, and every method of communication this side of interpretive dance - there is what one can legally get away with, and there is what one actually does, and the difference is what makes one a jerk or not.

24. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

The internet is heroin. Prince is going hash-tag-cold-turkey.

I just play some Charlie Brown Christmas when I get junk web sick, and all is better.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  25. setalpgninnpsekil

setalpgninnpsekil Forum Resident

It seems that people are upset that Prince lives on his own planet... Why? He's Prince. It's only appropriate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.