PRINCE - What are some tasty Prince guitar solos?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire

Everything mentioned is great, but for "tasty," the first thing that pops into my mind is the solo in the album version of "When Doves Cry."

Any other artist would've (I think) put that solo way out in front of the mix, but Prince just fits it right into the song...just perfect.

2. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing, stunning solo.
    I am listening to THE GOLD EXPERIENCE atm. and that has tons of great guitar work on it, but the most tasty I ever noticed is at the end of SHY (track 13), wonderful doubled acoustic guitars - with a slice of steel guitar on top. (probably all played one after the other in the studio by the purple one) ...check it out !

3. NIKE SQ 460

NIKE SQ 460 Just Do It...Daily!

i love that solo too.

one of my all time best prince songs also has some very tasty playing; my love is forever from his first album for you.

man, that solo is dead on, in the pocket and urgent as hell.

4. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

I haven't seen it for years, but what about that long-a$$ solo he takes in the video for "Take Me With U"? Big-time guitar hero stuff, IIRC.

5. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

"The Gold Experience" does have tons of great guitar work. Other posts mention "Dolphin" and "Gold" (with its arena-filling guitar solo). I really like the guitar solo in "Shhh".

But my favorite guitar on the album is at the end of "I Hate U". It's six minutes of Prince doing an over-the-top, keyboard-driven slow jam ... just as you think the song is winding down, he caps it off with the nastiest sounding guitar solo on the entire album.

6. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

Purple Rain. Hell all that album is stocked with incredible guitar playing.

7. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Third on "Pink Cashmere". That's a standout track. Others where I love the guitar sound especially:

"Peach"
    "Kiss"
    "Electric Chair"
    "She's Always In My Hair"
    "Pop Life"
    "Sexy MF"
    "The Cross"
    "Guitar" - (Natch!)

8. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

great tunes!!! :righton:

1999 is great as a whole, some really great non radio hits on there.

9. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I agree with that.

10. NIKE SQ 460

NIKE SQ 460 Just Do It...Daily!

hell yes! it just leaves you wanting more.....

11. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

I agree, that's one of my favorites.

12. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I've seen the SIGN O' THE TIMES show live back then. Still one of the best concerts I've been to. And I liked that bit in I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man very much, really hypnotic. Enjoy it every time I see the film.

BTW, does anybody know that bootleg after-show-concert-cd called Secret Gig? It has a 12 min. version of 4ever In My Life that has some great guitar playing in it as well.

13. Baron Von Talbot

Yes, true - this is The symbol at his absolute best - This album and the one with the Pyramid cover are often overlooked, but to me they simply are Prince just one step further and more advanced than ever before as Prince.
    Listening to SSHH right now, this has that standard brilliant Prince TM slow jam and as often it is his guitar, that drives the theme home, even when you hardly notice it at the beginning . The solo is WICKED - just comes up atm.
    EYE Hate You is another favorite tune of mine ; but check out the last minute of TSHY and like the guitar on Pink Cashmere it is a definition of TASTY and subtle guitar work.. Towards the end SHH gets even better ... Nelson Rodger simply is a musical genius - like WA Mozart...

14. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I believe his "Batman" soundtrack has some of his best work particularly "Electric Chair" and "Batdance".

15. BobFever

BobFever Forum Resident

Check out his take on "Red (Purple) House" on the "Power Of Soul" Hendrix tribute. Killer.
    Some of my other faves:

Cream
    Live 4 Love
    She's Always In My Hair
    Batdance
    Peach
    Dinner With Delores
    Computer Blue and many more I'll stop now.

He's such a tease. He leaves you wanting more.

16. cincyjim

cincyjim Senior Member

"Zannalee" from Chaos and Disorder.

17. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

Prince reportedly played every instrument on the Time's self-titled debut album. He also produced the album and wrote all the songs. It's just like listening to a Prince album, but with slightly different vocals.

The first track, "Get It Up" has a raunchy, rambling guitar solo like a good Funkadelic track.

18. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

Co-sign on the Live comment. Check out his 1996 "Emancipation Proclamation" concert for some killer guitar work, including a devastating solo in Joy In Repetition!

19. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Nothing I can add except :righton:

20. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

first one that came to mind.

also, the "Purple Rain" solo is awesome.

i really like the guitar tone at the very beginning. a nice clean tube sound with some flange/reverb mixed in.

21. Baron Von Talbot

WOW, that is sooo cool. He must have had a few helping hands; the first who puts that lil* man back on stage while he gets carried away by his own mighty guitar playing and looks at the other guys and of course the other who caught the guitar after the end of the show.. but what a concert and what a solo ! World Class - Intergalactic stylè

22. Baron Von Talbot

Imo the most great guitar solos can be found on The GOLD Experince, while the strongest set of jams and all together playing is on SIGN the pne withpyramid one with 7 from 92 or 93! All NPG

23. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

The ending of "I Wonder U" (on Parade) is a very tasty funk guitar solo. Short, but immaculate! I remember a reviewer at the time said it "sounds like it left shards of fingernails all over the studio floor."

24. A career highlight for sure.

:righton:

25. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Yep, I totally agree with the first line, but I would add the Parade tour live stuff as well.

My favorite guitar work by Prince is from a live performance on May 20, 1986:

"All Day, All Night / Controversy"

I agree that he usually holds his cards close to his vest, but on this performance he's just smokin'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.