Princeton area: significant Beatles collection hits PREX

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by BlueTrane, Aug 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I just got back from PREX. The Beatles stuff has been picked through pretty well, but they have a TON of new arrivals. A lot of nice stuff with a lot more coming. I asked the manager who said the Beatles stuff came from a collector from Connecticut who is moving to Singapore. Along with the Beatles, there's still around 20,000 non Beatles pieces from the collection that haven't been put out yet.

It's crazy how someone could collect this intensely, than just drop everything in a day.

2. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow. I just bought a bunch of stuff on-line last week, so I was going to avoid PREX for a few weeks. Might have to go anyway. :)

Gaslight and RelayerNJ like this.
  3. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Apologies for the shameless thread-steal (actually not shameless, I'm a bit embarrassed) but dumping a big collection all-of-a-sudden is kind of what I'm doing, albeit of 1000plus lps, not THAT many.

I spent my summer road trip worrying about the amount of records I've collected that I don't play, the ones I do play but not enough to justify owning them, the ones that are still sealed - that all take up half the house and that, most importantly metaphorically 'weigh me down'. Decided to ditch most of them. Trying not to think about how much they cost.

So via Deep End Records here in Houston I'm doing that (gradually - it's only a small shop). No sense of regret (yet). For you Beatles people, John in the shop has put out my sealed Love lp for $29.99 and I just took in a sealed Anthology 3... plus lots of other non-Beatles stuff.

(I have no actual link to the shop, just that's where I'm taking my stuff).

Sorry. Carry on.

4. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Nice of you to give us a heads up! When I am in Houston I always stop at Vinal Edge ... Maybe next time I'll try Deep End.

Tom B likes this.
  5. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

I was just at Princeton Record Exchange today. Just got back from Ireland yesterday after a 10 day trip, so I missed the feeding frenzy. While I was thumbing through the Beatles records (bought a Chinese Bangla Desh set for $15.00) I now realize it was Relayer having the conversation with the record appraiser. Heard him mentioned the info about Connecticut and size of collection purchased. Also bought the Clapton 70TH anniversary concert DVD and 2 CD'S and Robbie Robertson Hip-O-Select limited edition. It is the best record store I have ever come across. Been hitting it since the 80's.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  6. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Get out of here! Cool!

Gaslight and goodboyfred like this.
  7. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Sorry,late to the party. I,too,have Philly roots. Born in the city,raised in the 'urb of Upper Darby. I'll vote for Jim's Steaks,though Pica's is my choice for pizza.One on-going problem with Zandy's is that they are a cash-only enterprise in 2016. Really? Let's call for a tax audit,OK? They are just bad neighbors. Cheese steak nearby? Palumbo's at 15th & Lehigh(Parkway Shopping Center) ,with gravy for a pizza steak. or the Brass Rail, further on Lehigh(not the biggest roll but properly priced. So get a pizza to share and a few beers and that's a six course meal.)

bluemooze and majorlance like this.
  8. dee

dee Senior Member

I wonder how extensive and interesting is their used cd collection, especially for Jazz and Rock?
    Do they have any of the audiophile label releases on cd, used?
    Promo cd's? Lots of early cd issues?
    Good prices, say $4-8?
    Any info appreciated.
    Had a vacation cut short by a day. That next day we were going to visit P REX and the downtown area. Still pissed. Trying to get back there asap.

9. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Parkway Shopping Center? The Brass Rail? Wow, are those places still there? I feel like I've stepped into a time warp. My father managed the Woolworth store at the Parkway SC from the mid- to late-60s. Got most of my Beatles LPs/45s there during that period, as well as whatever else I could afford on my allowance, birthday/Xmas money, etc.

Those cheesesteaks definitely sound like good reasons for a little road trip up the Northeast Extension!

10. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

They have tons of used cheap cds, many for $2, and several bins of audiophile cds.

dee likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

And reasonable prices for the audiophile stuff - usually. Every once in a while I see something "overpriced", but usually the prices are "fair market"...

dee likes this.
  12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Yes, they have lots of cheap stuff. Not so much on early issues, IIRC.For reasons I detailed elsewhere, I'll never set foot in there again. I've reached the point in my collecting that it will take years to find any of the items I still want and the internet is my best bet. Princeton is great to visit, nice town, beautiful campus.

dee likes this.
  13. BlueTrane

Can you at least summarize the beef in a sentence?

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Unconscionably rude behavior by staff when I questioned (not yelling or showing anger) the price being offered for used cds I was offering. I dealt with the owner of Plastic Fantastic for years and he's a sicko, this was far worse.

15. Spanish Prisoner

Spanish Prisoner Forum Resident

PREX often pay very little for used CD'S. As an example, I was recently told that they paid a nickel for many soundtracks which they then (try to) sell for $1.99.

I find that it's a much better store to buy from then to sell to.

16. BlueTrane

Years ago, PREX had their fair share of surly employees. At some point - I'm not quite sure when, perhaps 10 0r 12 years ago - the staff must have had some sort of sensitivity training :laugh:, as I can't remember the last time anyone there was anything but nice and respectful. That's pretty much behind them IMO.

dee and Comet01 like this.
  17. Spanish Prisoner

I've been shopping at PREX for roughly 30 years now and I only remember one employee who was a real jerk. This would have been back in the late 80's to mid 90's. I don't recall this guy's name, but he was a young guy (college age) with dark curly hair and a really lousy attitude.

18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

So what music store gave you the prices you wanted?

marcb and RelayerNJ like this.
  19. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I went there regularly in the '90s. I remember a college-age guy with dark hair who left there around the time you (Spanish Prisoner) describe. But I don't think I am remembering the same person. This guy would joke around in what seemed to be a good-natured way. I remember I happened to be there on what was his last day, and I was sad to see him go.

I remember one day I bought a vinyl of Joni Mitchell's For The Roses. The gatefold of that album has Joni standing nude on a beach (you see her backside). The guy I am thinking of -- he happened to ring up my sale. When he got to that album he opened the gatefold and closed it real quick and said something like "peek-a-boo". Which I thought was funny, once I looked at the picture.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  20. Spanish Prisoner

I think that the obnoxious guy's name was Phil. Does anyone who shopped at PREX in the 80's/90's remember a guy named Phil?

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Shady Dog

bluemooze likes this.
  22. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Parkway still there,although a shadow of its former self. I came here early '70s(celebrating 43 years of never attending the Great Allentown Fair). The Parkway place was a mirror of many a strip center built in the late '50s-I grew up near one in the Philly 'burbs called Pilgrim Gardens.
    I understand the Parkway was a pretty big deal back in the day because one could buy stuff without going downtown-free parking was a big deal. The Food Fair had some newfangled frozen stuff. Woolworths-what didn't they have? Candy by the pound,a pinkie ball( a Spauldeen for you New Yorkers) for a dime,baseball cards for a nickel a pack,wiffle balls and bats,Slinkys,bubbles,balsa airplanes,off-chart 45s @ 3/$1(knowing that if a customer bought just one and it would ring up at 34 cents was a trick question on their employment application),note books for a quarter,Bic pens @ nineteen cents(a fair trade item),giant tubes of Christmas wrapping paper for a buck,what else did one need? Oh,yeah,Mansize hoagies @ 3/$1(there's that pesky 34 cent rule again and just how big was the size of the man they names the hoagies after?). Today,Lehigh Street is all car dealerships- car parts vehicles go up and down the strip more frequently than a bus.
    Mention should be made of a discount grocery/department store down the street called Food Lane/Lane/Laneco that opened in 1968. Urban legend is that this chain was the inspiration for Sam Walton to create Wal-Mart(there is some fact to that). The leased record department was the hub for the chain and was so well-stocked I almost forgot the Philly stores I haunted years before. Dylan bootlegs sold under the table.

23. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Pilgrim Gardens? On Township Line Road in Drexel Hill, right? I spent many afternoons sitting in the car listening to music or the Phillies while my wife went shopping in the Loehmann's outlet there.

I remember when that Laneco in Allentown opened, too. IIRC, their record prices were lower than Woolworth's, but with my dad's employee discount it came out pretty much a wash for me — although I do recall getting the Yellow Submarine OST there for $2.49 or thereabouts in 1969. Wasn't aware that Laneco sold bootlegs — I probably didn't even know about bootlegs until '70 or '71.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.