Pro-ject carbon dc

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ron zeytoonian, Jan 12, 2018.

1. ron zeytoonian

ron zeytoonian Member Thread Starter

Just received my new TT, with an upgrade to an ortofon black...amazing acoustics. I am disappointed with the lack of mass of the TT unit as it is way to light in total weight and the unit can slide easily. Question- should I add non-slip pads (sticky cork/rubber) under the feet? or is there a way to add weight to the under side of the table?

2. Davey

Davey define a transparent dream

I'm not sure what the feet look like, but maybe you could add some little dabs of blu-tack under each foot and then press it down, like we do with speakers and stands.

3. Henry Phillpotts

Henry Phillpotts Active Member

I can't help with your query but would value your thoughts on the black with the debut, lots of people go with the bronze but not many reports on the pairing you have. Any vta issues as I have heard the cartridge is sensitive to that?

4. McGuy

McGuy Forum Resident

interesting. I never had a problem with my pro ject sliding, are you sure the surface underneath is completely dry and clean? could be dusty or slick

5. ron zeytoonian

ron zeytoonian Member Thread Starter

Henry, the ortofon black has opened up layers of instrumental quirks and nuances that I have never heard before from my original LPs. Additionally, higher frequencies e.g. cowbells, triangles (Laurie Anderson's Mister Heartbreak) and similar percussion layers that were to bright have softened. Miles Davis's horn and Coltane's tenor sax have never more real. I did however reinstall the red cartridge to compare and all was confirmed. I'm sure the bronze is quite good as well.

Regarding the pro-ject table, its just too light and yes the surface underneath too slick. I will look in to blu-tack
    Thanks!

Henry Phillpotts likes this.
  6. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Frequent Visitor

The feet on my wife’s Pro-Ject have a felt-like bottom surface. It sits on a woodgrain IKEA console and does slide if I push on it. I never noticed that before trying it now. A silicone dot under each one would probably stop that.

7. 4011021

4011021 Forum Resident

The place my table is on is not leveled. I finally found the exact position where I can have the table leveled. But it's always not there because it does slide when I touch it if I'm not very careful. It's a Pro-ject Debut Carbon.

8. Henry Phillpotts

Henry Phillpotts Active Member

Would some sorbothane pads on the table help? I've read they can be good for resonance too...