Pro-Ject Debut Carbon or Rega - RP1 w/Performance Pack

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gates69, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie Thread Starter

Well I just got an email from Brian at NeedleDoctor and he suggested I stick with the Rega. He thought the bad one was an anomaly and he will check out the replacement before it is shipped. I'm hopeful that the issues I had shouldn't be an issue now since he will give it a once over. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Dino likes this.
  2. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

The only thing anyone wants here is for you to be happy with what you buy. I just feel that the number one thing a TT must do is spin at the right speed, consistently, and for the platter to run out perfectly flat. I am less interested in what material the platter is made out of, but it must be machined to a close tolerance and the material be hard enough that when the spindle is inserted it is firm and perpendicular to the top record playing surface, no wobbling. I would expect nothing less from even a $150 Stanton, and they come with a strobe so you will know what is up in a hurry.

I have not heard of these issues with the Project Debut Carbon and I think the tonearm and Ortofon Red that comes with it a great value. I"m amazed that Project can do that, but it shows a great commitment to those entering vinyl for the first time. $400 for this level of plug and play is pretty remarkable. And colors to boot.

Wishing you the best and that a great RP-1 comes your way.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  3. gates69

Thanks Jim. I am also hopeful this issue can get hammered out. If not I will try something else I guess. It's starting to feel like I should have maybe not got the vinyl bug again. :laugh:

4. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

No, you will be fine. If I was not spinning vinyl daily I would be missing a great deal. Once you get set up all will be fine. My Dual is nota high end table, but refurbished it sounds great to me and I only have a Stanton 881S on it. My old Yamaha P550 I still love with a Shure M97XE on it. They both do the basic things right.

You'll be fine and you are dealing with a good company who needs vinyl lovers happy. Maybe by this weekend.

I am leaning toward a VPI Traveler in 2013, my last table.

samn likes this.
  5. ndtechie05

ndtechie05 Forum Resident

What about the U Turn Audio Orbit?

6. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

I felt this way also getting back into vinyl, and I had some issues like you are having, but they are settled and I am enjoying playing these records more than ever. I just got a VPI 16.5 like you did (different thread), and the sound after cleaning some of my records is such a pleasure that it was all worth it. Having a blast now, but it was very frustrating at times to go back to analog. I don't know what I would have done without this forum. :agree:

7. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

This turntable isn't on the market, yet.

8. gates69

I know it will be worth it in the end. The VPI 16.5 has worked great and I have been having fun cleaning my vinyl. Now if I could just play them! Lol

9. gates69

So the replacement Rega RP1 came yesterday and I got it unpacked this afternoon. All the issues I had with the first one have been fixed with the replacement. The new issue is a slight platter wobble that this model seems to have an issue with. I don't hear any issues audibly because of the wobble. so I'm going to give it a break in period and see if it gets any better. I just can't see spending more money to upgrade the platter and sub-platter. I like the sound the the Bias 2 cart and I'm sure it will only get better after the break-in period.

10. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

You can always upgrade the cartridge. I have an Ortofon Red 2M cartridge on a Rega RP1 and I love it. Maybe you can shoot for the Blue one. I think those Ortofon are recommended for a Rega RP1 and fit quite well.

11. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Move/slide the platter into a different position the on sub-platter. It could just be in the wrong position like mine was(RP1). This cured the wobble.

12. gates69

I will try that. Thanks

13. Fireplug

Fireplug Forum Resident

I love my Pro-ject Debut Carbon but I've had Regas in the past and loved them too. I auditioned the RP1 and preferred the Carbon but I'm sure that the performance pack levels things up. The hassle that some people have had with Regas recently made my mind up in favour of Pro-ject but if you've managed to resolve the problems then you've got a great TT that should keep you happy for years. Enjoy!

14. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Another happy Debut Carbon customer here. It has been great outta the box (well, I did add a Speed Box). Great bargain IMO.

15. ndtechie05

Did you have issues balancing the tone arm and the counter weight?

16. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

No. No issues at all, set-up was very easy. It is very similar to my Music Hall MMF-5, using the same anti-skate, similar tone-arm, etc. So I was familiar with set-up, but I can't see how it would be difficult for anyone. No need to change the cart unless you wanted to.

17. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

It can be difficult to balance the tonearm on a Pro-Ject if you change to a cartridge that weighs more. If a heavier cartridge gives you trouble, you can buy a heavier counterweight from a Pro-Ject dealer.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  18. ndtechie05

I was able to correctly adjust everything tonight and it sounds great so far. Can't wait to crank it up tomorrow!

19. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I didn't. I did notice @ 0.1g difference between the Shure stylus force gauge and the counterweight's dial.

Bill

20. Timbrh2001

Timbrh2001 New Member

Hello all! Brand new to this forum and this is my very first post. I gotta say I absolutely love my Carbon and was definitely one of the best purchases Ive made in a while

AtlTrav likes this.
  21. gates69

So far so good with the purchase. I have the VTF dialed in and have just been enjoying some vinyl. Glad others are enjoying the Pro-Ject's as well. I think both are good entry level turntables.

22. swvcc

swvcc Active Member

I bought an RP1 w/Performance Pack about a year ago and am very happy with it....

Ntotrar and gates69 like this.
  23. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

my debut lll(not carbon) is hanging in there.i was having some motor noise and a local shop tightened the motor with some padding.so far so good.i have some upgrades including the acrylic platter an OM20 stylus a speed box and a record clamp.still sounds very good through my system cambridge audio amp and PSB image B25 speakers.
    found this thread helpful because when i do upgrade unless i hit the lottery by choice will be between the likes of the RP1 and debut carbon.

24. Kit

Kit Forum Resident

I bought the Debut Carbon this past fall but returned it due to motor noise. So the hunt continues. I'm trying to decide between the RP1 or the RP3.

25. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Maybe I'm too old school, but a platter should run flat with no wobble at $400 or more nor should the motor make noise. If customers do not send them back companies will not up their QC department's efforts. The problem comes from statistical sampling production runs where every 5th, 20th, or 50th table is checked.

ceedee and benzo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.