Pro-ject debuts $399 vacuum RCM

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Michael Ries, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident Thread Starter

Shak Cohen and james like this.
  2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Looks good.

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

VPI won't be happy….

Matt123 likes this.
  4. phish

phish Jack Your Body

but Jason/me will be very happy!

from the comments section below the photos.....

No Plastic Parts
    Submitted by Michael Fremer on Tue, 2015-05-26 06:42
    Keep in mind intros at this show usually mean a delay until Fall for actual introduction but we'll be on the case!

5. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Looks great! If I didn't already have the Okki Nokki, I'd be all over this.

6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I bet some will have a mysterious hum that will be hotly debated

7. james

james Summon The Queen

definitely interested. Looks nice!

8. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

Good news. Pity it's huge

Ghostworld likes this.
  9. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

This is a product where they can actually put their patented motor rumble to good use. The motor rumble can be used to agitate the fluid on the record for more effective cleaning. ;)

10. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

My bet is that this will increase VPI's sales. As a lower priced unit, it will bring more people into the RCM market. VPI will still have a premium image. They are a step-up brand. Folks will get introduced to the concept of a RCM through this but wanting something better, will still buy the VPI 16.5.

The Seeker likes this.
  11. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

What about MDF? Everyone knows water and MDF get along so well.

12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

There would need to be some performance improvement with the VPI. It is such a simple concept, if it works properly I don't see how the VPI could charge what they do for the 16.5 and keep sales.

SandAndGlass, russk and Shawn like this.
  13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I am truly rooting for a vinyl takeover in this world. God bless hipsters and Crossley, the more the merrier. Then perhaps we can get these RCM's to $50. My toaster has more complicated technology than the 16.5. We have been getting gouged by record cleaning machines for years. Want a platter that spins in two directions? That will be $2,000. complete nonsense.

Wngnt90, Mike .S., Manimal and 22 others like this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Here's some kid's potential kickstarter project. I was into it until he said, "I'd like to keep the price to around $59." What?! Dude, you better keep the price to around $5 if you want me to get one!

patient_ot, fitzrik and Dennis0675 like this.
  15. This is great news. There aren't enough options for RCMs that are more reasonably priced, so it's nice to have another player in the market.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  16. Music1212

Music1212 Forum Resident

Very interested. Price point makes more sense than most RCM's.

17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Anything that involves a shopvac is not an option for me.

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah, I tried making a shop vac model -- it sucked. Here are some more ebay specials. $30 for a piece of PVC pipe and a router. And he's sold 41 of them!

[​IMG]

Here's a $25 one from Canada. I think all these suction slot are way too wide and I don't know WHAT he's using for brush material on this one. It looks nasty --- like velco fur. Ouch.

[​IMG]

And this one, also $30 (at least the felt looks replaceable)

[​IMG]

Why these designs all fail should be obvious from the top photo. Imagine your record covered with cleaning fluid. It spills down off your record and down into your table. I saw some guy on youtube with a beautiful Garrard 401 doing this shopvac method and liquid spilling over into his table. I couldn't help but think,"Are you an idiot? Where do you think that fluid is all going!" Any shop vac method like this should come with a round plastic tray, at least, to catch the run off. Also what fails, a half dozen cleanings and the adhesive holding on the brush around the suction slot is going to start peeling off from getting wet. The guy who made the bottom one probably figured that out.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    Dennis0675 likes this.
  19. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident Thread Starter

Love the plinth! Back on topic though, I also have messed around with various diy methods and have not been happy. Currently using a spin clean but I know a good vacuum is the next step. All I want is a nice sturdy and affordable vacuum cleaner that's sole function is to clean records. The record doctor v is close to fitting the bill, but it just seems too flimsy, though I'm sure it works. At first glance of pro-jet model I don't get that impression and the build seems more in line with models double (and more) the price. Time will tell.

20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Anyone that would willingly bring liquids to their table is running a very different operation than i am. I've seen several 16.5's that the partical board box deteriorated because of leaks. Liquid is certainly a dangerous option for electronics.

Manimal likes this.
  21. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

Trust Project to come up with good value stuff :goodie:

22. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Great news indeed

23. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

The Pro-ject RCM may be as good or better than the VPI 16.5, for all I know. The Pro-ject certainly beats the VPI on price.

What the VPI 16.5 has going - for me - is a track record. I've had mine 25 years and it still works (and looks) like new. And I've cleaned a lot of records on it.

Also, while the aluminum vacuum wand looks nice to me, I would miss watching the liquid stop being vacuumed through the clear wand.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. dcottrell6

dcottrell6 Forum Resident

This is great news. I know the VPI is a great unit but not affordable to many.
    Put this one on my wish list!

25. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I found a 50 shop vac and a couple of bucks for felt worked for me. Not as elegant or easy, but effective.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.