Pro-ject debuts $399 vacuum RCM

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Michael Ries, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

It will because your SC can never get the same amount of dirt out of the tiny micro grooves since there is no suction system on it to remove it. You basically just move around the dirt with a SC and with a RCM you get it off. I experienced a huge difference when going from Knosti to Okki.

2. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

From my experience, I think you're exaggerating a good bit saying "You basically just move around the dirt with a SC", but I suppose you're probably correct to a certain degree. However, I've done some before and after tests with my SC and after years of using something much more basic (a Discwasher) I was very impressed with the SC results. For my ears and my budget I'm happy with the Spin Clean. I'm not trashing the RCM in any way, I guess I'm just saying that for some of us, the SC is a more affordable product that does a good job.

3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Discwasher to Spin Clean would indeed be a huge step. SC to a vacuum RCM is also a big step, just not quite as big. I finally broke down and bought a VPI Cyclone after using the GEM Dandy water jet cleaning system. The GEM was a great method, but the Cyclone has improved records previously cleaned with the GEM.

Aftermath likes this.
  4. There is one out there . . .

5. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Oh yeah?

6. Sure, I understand you were playing devil's advocate.

Crosley has been trying to up its game, and is selling re-badged Pro-Jects. Pro-Ject tables are generally pretty reliable. I have heard of some motor issues in some of their budget models, but I believe they were quickly corrected.

My point is that Crosley can put out quality gear--it just matters which OEM they use.

7. Yeah, let me dig up the link. You might not get too excited over it, though.

8. klownschool likes this.
  9. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

10. There are other solutions you can put together, too, for under $500. If you want a turnkey solution, this guy sells a somewhat unusual looking device that actually seems to work pretty well--he has videos on YouTube--and it costs $290 for the record spinning gizmo (you supply the ultrasonic tank, some of which you can find for under $200), or $729 for the record spinner and the tank:

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/121574299552

11. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Cool find on ultra sonic tank. How would you use it?

12. There are multiple "record spinner" units listed on eBay that you could use with an ultrasonic tank. For the first one I linked, you have to hold the "UFO" and manually spin the record into the tank. Not the most elegant solution, but the cheapest.

13. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

The Vinyl Stack Ultra Sonic Spin Kit seems the most impressive.

14. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Just buy a used RCM if your looking for budget. I purchased a used Nitty Gritty 1.5 in perfect condition for $150. I then bought a 16 oz bottle of pure 2 for $20.

15. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

Any news on this? I emailed them but haven't heard from them. thanks!

16. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

17. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Not sure I like the non existing support under the record even if it seems to work and decrease the risk of dirt from a platter. The arm also seems a bit fiddly?

Good thing is the higher rotation speed (I have the Okki).

PS: It would take me 5 years to fill upp the Atlantic in the RCM as on the video :)

18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

19. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Anxious to see the U.S. price. Bern looking forward to comparing the benefits of this versus some of the budget entries with external vacuums.

20. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Interested in the fluid and if it's really a "new" formulation relative to other stuff that's out there.

21. 1adam12

1adam12 Forum Resident

I'm kinda disappointed by the final design of this. The one Fremer showed off last year was pretty sweet. IIRC it had an actual platter and carbon fiber veneer.

The pro-ject site lists the price at 449 EUR. That'll probably translate to 499 USD. In the US it'll have pretty stiff competition in the VPI 16.5.

22. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

$399 had me intrigued. $499, kinda on the fence.

thesisinbold likes this.
  23. dementian27

dementian27 Forum Resident

Talked the the guys at the Needle Dr today. Unfortunately they said the price will be $499 USD, and it should begin shipping within Q1 of 2016.

24. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

The metal arm on this one has a pretty lousy feeling compared to my Okki Nokki. They for sure could have made a better construction on that part.

25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Compared to the original metal ON arm or the new ON plastic one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.