Pro Ject PreBox RS Digital Question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tom Favata, Oct 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6 Thread Starter

Pre Box RS Digital – Pro-Ject Audio Systems

I am upgrading my DAC from a Cambridge Dac Magic 100 to the Project Pre Box RS Digital (see link above for details and specs) and am wondering if it can also be used as a phono pre-amp for my Rega P3. Besides being a DAC, it also is a dedicated headphone amp and has analog rca inputs. Can these be used instead of my receiver's PHONO IN? Thanks in advance.

2. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

Doesn't look like it. Phono inputs have a different kind of preamp and that's not listed anywhere. This DAC seems a little gimmicky, if you ask me. Two different switchable DAC chips? Four optical inputs (which is an inferior digital input), and a switch for tubed or not tubed? If it was me, I'd be looking for something that did one thing and did it well. You're probably paying 1/4 of the price or more for things you might never use. Just my 2 cents.

3. Tom Favata

Thanks for the reply, I figured it would not be good as a phono pre. Would have been a nice bonus. As for the inputs, for my needs, I require a Dac that can handle usb, optical and coaxial. I have an HDMI de-embedder that feeds hi-Rez blue ray to optical to dac to my rig.
    The solid state/tube switch maybe a gimmick, but the review I read spoke highly of it. Looking forward to testing it out. I’m sure it will be a major upgrade to my current DAC Magic.

beartrackrecords likes this.
  4. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

5. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

6. fezco

fezco Forum Resident

Hey Folks,
    I own this unit and use it primarily as a DAC and headphone rig. I love it because it has different DAC chips, different filters, and switchable solid-state VS tube output stage. If you like fiddling with devices like I do, this thing is really sweet. One of the DAC stages is a classic dual-differential BurrBrown/TI setup that was pretty common in high-end CD players. That DAC stage is considered 'older technology' by today's standards, but sounds outstanding. One thing to note that the powers supply upgrade made a big difference. If you're looking at purchasing this device, budget for the nicer power supply.

Power Box RS Uni 1-way – Pro-Ject Audio Systems

I use the following headphones with the Preamp and it sounds great: Audeze LCD2, Focal Elex, and Audiquest Nighthawk.
    Enjoy!

unclefred likes this.
  7. Tom Favata

Thank you fezco for the recommendation. Glad to hear from someone who owns it. I do have a question. What would the analogue rca inputs be used for if not to use as a phono stage?
    Thanks to all who have replied here!

8. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Project RS range very compact & very sweet sounding
    [​IMG]

9. fezco

fezco Forum Resident

Use it for whatever you want. You can use a regular analogue input for anything with regular analogue out: outboard phono preamp, Tuner, another CD player, another DAC, tape deck, grab a nice 1/8" to RCA cable and hook it up to your Amazon Echo or something... Whatever. My rig pretty much has one input: USB. I use a little windows tablet and Jriver media center as a streamer and access my collection on a NAS.

Anyways... If you're looking for something even more simplistic, I highly recommend this little unit here. I have this little thing in my office and it sounds amazing... It gives my 'big' RS digital pre a run for the money.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.