Pro-Ject VC-S vs Okki Nokki. Which is better?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Just measured mine which I bought very recently. It's 333x335. With its feet and arm up, it's 250mm high, although you'd obviously need more maneuvering room.

As for getting the label wet, I've found the trick is to simply spray water delicately sideways to start so the initial spitting of the solution doesn't get on the label, then I tilt the bottle so it barely reaches the lead-out groove, then spread it around with the brush.

Helom and Vinyl Addict like this.
  2. Helom

Helom Forum member

I also have the Okki Nokki. I did a ton of research on RCMs and I think it's one of the best choices. Wet labels are not a problem, I'm careful with the fluid application.

Medronho, gekados and Vinyl Addict like this.
  3. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Awesome thanks. I just want to be able to store it in a Kallax cubbie. Sounds like it should fit.

4. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

+1
    My Squeakyclean MK3 cleans LP's much more throughly than my Nitty Gritty 2.5 Fi, at a fraction of the cost.

5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I've had an Okki Nokki for years with no issues. Cross contamination from the platter is not an issue. I would be more worried by lack of support with the Project.

6. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

actually just got one of these this week and used it....i've still got a static problem as theres pops n crackles but they look very clean.

33na3rd likes this.
  7. Newguy444

Newguy444 Forum Resident

Just curious if anyone has any further thoughts on comparing these two machines? Very hard to pick between the two.

Is it possible to use the Okki Nokki replacement adhesive strips on the VC-S vacuum arm if they ever need replacing? The VC-S custom strips don't seem to be as widely available.

8. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I think I am going to pick up one of these two in the near future.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  9. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Love my Okki!

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  10. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

I ended up with an Okki Nokki. When all things was taken in to consideration it wasn't a difficult choice.

Helom and Vinyl Addict like this.
  11. Vinyl Addict

For you, what were the advantages of the Okki Nokki compared to the Pro-ject?

Heckto35 likes this.
  12. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I have a VC-S and it works great, the vacuum as stated is very powerful, within 2 rotations the rekkid is dry. Plus you have reverse motor option too. I agree on the included brush, not that good, I use a MF paint pad to spread the solution. Soon as I am done with this ProJect solution I will get something different, I think it is Ok but I know there is better cleaning solution.
    The label cover/clamp is real nice, the thing is built like a tank.

13. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

First the Okki Nokki are in to its third generation (?) since introduction. Most weak points have been discovered by now. The 7" wand as I play a lot of 7" records. The smaller form factor, and my dealer gave the nod to the Okki (he sells both machines).

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

R-T

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  14. gekados

gekados Forum Resident

Many good points here.

I'm about to choose an RCM, pro-ject or okki.

Having borrowed a VPI 16.5 for a while, then I think it's a sound investment.
    VPI is great, records clean up real nice with decent fluids. It of course also has it's quirks.

Okki is cheaper than pro-ject here, and my local dealer is willing to give a deal incl lid.
    It's also a machine I've seen and used before. Both pro-ject and okki are aluminum, compared to wood on VPI. Makes a difference if you always do fluids from inside and out. Then it's spillage on chassis, instead of label..

like the clamp on the VPI though, works like a charm every time. And the pads on the arm are easily cleaned with a dry toothbrush - still look new. Cleaned after every record.

Any of you guys finding the the fridge are filled with weird liquids, isopropyl for metal parts, enzymes, distilled water etc? :)

By the way, someone wrote about placing it in a kallax IKEA module ..
    Works like a charm, buy a 16 size and leave 4 open. Good height and lots of spare room for working. Send a PM if you want a visual. If you got less than 850 records, then everything will fit in that. Perfect size for records really.

Yamaha Denon KLH Nut and GyroSE like this.
  15. Vinyl Addict

Yeah that was me asking if the ON fits in a Kallax cubbie. I want to store it in one. Id love to see what you did with it.

16. gekados

gekados Forum Resident

Here are some visuals. Using a 16 cube, where the RCM is located, and additional 8 cube in the hallway, and an old 'markör' shelf (also Ikea). Moved thing around a little bit, but this will give you an idea og how to have a working washing station, right where it's needed the most (imo).

Living room, all electronics are behind the damped wall:

[​IMG]

16 cube Kallax with RCM (filling up with records, after assembly :). Installed a good light, so it's easier to sport the dirt and scratches right away.

[​IMG]

Almost done, goal is to have the 400-500 records, that we actually play, readily available here, sorted alphabetically :

[​IMG]

The old 'Markör', here it's sorted roughly by genre :

[​IMG]

An additional 8 cube Kallax in the hallway. This is what we call our 'spotify' collection, since it's mostly unsorted and the place to go for discovering new music :)

[​IMG]

Dai, clercqie, Magnus A. and 5 others like this.
  17. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Second photo...What box is that on the floor? Wood, cardboard?

18. gekados

gekados Forum Resident

It's hard plastic. Great for records, but I have to give them back to my dad in law. They're very hard to find and he didn't want to part with them..

19. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I'm going to get one of these two RCMs and was looking at the MoFi pads for spreading the cleaning fluid across the surface of the record. Is this all you need to do as you're vacuuming the dirt out of the grooves or is it better to use a camel hair brush to get into the grooves?

20. M.T.S.

M.T.S. New Member

Yes you can, they are the same!

HiFi Guy likes this.
  21. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Personal preference. I prefer the VPI brush, but I'd do a brush over the pad.

Porkpie likes this.
  22. mktracy

mktracy Forum Resident

I have the Pro-ject VCS and I use the MoFi pad and I have a goat hair brush.Both work well I seem to get less static using the Mofi pad. Also the VC-S replacement adhesive strips can be had from Music Direct for $5 a pair.

Porkpie likes this.
  23. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I like the smaller platter on the Pro-ject VCS, I don't like large platters that dirt again the other side of the record.

Gumboo, JL6161 and Porkpie like this.
  24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Either one is fine. The Mofi brushes are better for scrubbing IMO. They also are easier to handle as they are bigger and hence the handle is bigger. But it's not a huge advantage.

On the other hand they can soak up a lot of fluid so you might need to put some extra fluid onto the first side you clean.

I tend to use my Mofi as a rinsing brush now that I moved to the Osage brushes. Unless I feel I need to scrub the record in which case I use a Mofi.

I think you'd likely be happy with either so I'd go with the one that you can the afford and get the easiest. Unless you plan on scrubbing your records in which case I'd get one Mofi. :)

33na3rd likes this.
  25. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Ive seen both, have the Okki and I think the new ProJect looks a little better. Metal arm and a supposedly quieter motor are only positive in my eyes.

stenway likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.