" Pro Tools Editing " listed in CD credits

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Michael McDonald's "Motown" CD had a credit for Pro Tools.

2. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

perhaps there is a small point we are missing here...

I believe the reason we see the credit for "pro-tools editing" listed in the CD booklet is simply because it is a relatively new "branch" of audio engineering...

...just as in the old days (before the invention of the auto-locator)you would see a credit for "tape-op" given to the rookie who ran the tape recorder...

Over the years, ProTools has developed its own culture in the studio. For example,the latest hot PT jockey may be a genius at editing and comping vocal tracks, but wouldn't know a U-47 if it hit him over the head. However, he still deserves an album credit...

In the case of artists such as BB King and Eric Clapton, I imagine most of those tracks were cut live, as someone said earlier.

They probably stack up a few hot takes, and then leave it to the producer and the PT-jockey to clean up a word here, a phrase there...

That's all it means...

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Exactly! And, this isn't with just Pro Tools, but with all DAWs. That's what they were invented for.

If Pro Tools has a sound, and many pros like Jamie say it does, there must be a very logical explaination for it other than that it's "digital".

I honestly don't know where people got the idea that digital is so evil. It's not. It's just another format. And, just like analog, much depends of the user. But. if someone favors the sound of tape, that's fine. I do too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.