Proac Response D2 Owners

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Beatles4503, Dec 7, 2017 at 6:50 PM.

1. Beatles4503

Beatles4503 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello all,

I am currently auditioning some Proac Response D2 monitors and I'm really liking what I'm hearing so far (maybe 80-90 hours in to it). Just wondering what other D2 owners have for placement? Center to center, from listening position, from wall behind he speakers, etc. Also what speaker cables you are using and why.

I now the usual clarifications apply.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and answers.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone too!

jon9091 likes this.
  2. Shivermetimbers

Shivermetimbers Forum Resident

My room is 13' wide and firing the speakers down the length they were* about 2.5' each in from the side walls and 4' from the back wall. They do like some space around them and boomed too much if closer. Found them best slightly off-axis to 'meet' just behind the listening position which was around 9' away. It's so room-dependant though; and I also re-optimised the positioning a bit after adding some room treatments.

Also key to the D2s, I found, was putting them on some heavy stands. Switching from some el-cheapo temporary stands to heavier ones (Atacama HMS 1.1 600mm) made a significant difference. Then filling those with sand helped even more. Namely bass weight and performance.

Speaker wire is Blue Jeans (Belden) 12. Only as it's what I already had and have had no issues with.

Hope they work out for you. Great speakers.

*Were, as the system is currently dismantled while we renovate, so the positioning is a close estimate.

jon9091 likes this.
  3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

My dealer has a pair of these coming in so I can check them out. They get great reviews.
    I’m going to compare them to some Harbeth C7es3’s, and some Dynaudio Contour 20’s.

Shivermetimbers likes this.
  4. Shivermetimbers

Cool, let us know your thoughts. I demoed the D2s against Harbeth 30.1, but have never heard the C7s.

5. Beatles4503

I did audition both the 30.1 and C7's and my thoughts then are:

The 30.1's sounded very nice with jazz and acoustic guitar music but seemed like they were trying too hard on rock music (dire straits, REM, etc.) as as some classical.

The C7's in my opinion are a more fun speaker to listen to with all kinds of music. I just kept hearing the cabinet too much for my tastes. It made the bass seem loose and wooly.

So far the D2's possess great clarity, drive, bass and very impressive soundstage width and depth. The midrange might not be as pretty as in the 30.1's but the D2's do everything else so much better and the D2's are a more dynamic (fun) speaker than the C7's.

Shivermetimbers and jon9091 like this.
  6. Shivermetimbers

Pretty much sums up my own findings vs the 30.1s (but could totally appreciate the Harbeth's qualities and why some might prefer them).

What kind of power/delivery has your amp got?

7. Beatles4503

Anywhere from 16wpc to 23wpc depending on the output tubes I employ.