Problem w/ Denon DVD 2930ci

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JimW, May 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Wiggette

Captain Wiggette Forum Resident

It'll be cheaper to buy a new player than to try to repair.

2. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming Thread Starter

I didn't know they made universal players for under $30, but even if they do, I wouldn't want one... :)

Seriously, that's the cost of a (heartier) laser assembly and the repair is said to be pretty straightforward, is well-documented over at AVS and there are many youtube videos available showing the procedure.

Now if you had said "than to have it repaired," that would be true, but would be irrelevant. But I appreciate the input. If cash weren't so tight right now, I'd use it as an excuse for a new Oppo, which I've been lusting after... :love:

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I took the top off of my 3930 a while ago and cleaned the laser.
    It seemed to help but not for long.
    I have very rarely had an issue with a DVD of any kind, but it won't play most hybrid SACDs.
    The lasers are cheap and I can get it installed for nothing.
    But I'd certainly be thinking twice about sinking a ton of money ($200 +) into it if I had to pay full tilt.

4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Where can you get a laser assembly for $30?
    My 3910 crapped out a few years ago.

5. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I hadn't checked ebay in awhile, it's now possible to get a laser for under $20

6. JimW

Here's a generic one for less than $11:

http://www.amazon.com/SF-HD65-Repla...&qid=1432289761&sr=8-1&keywords=sanyo+sf+hd65

The real deal for less than $19 shipped (from China):
    http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Optical...&qid=1432289761&sr=8-4&keywords=sanyo+sf+hd65

Just one of those left, which I'm considering, just need to do more research (hope you don't buy it out from under me!).

7. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

I had pretty much the same problem with my 2930 not long ago. It took it a Denon authorized repair shop and they told me the part was no longer available so I asked for the part number (00D3370139006) and googled it. Liberty Electronics had it for USD 15.00, I ordered it, once I got it I took it to the same repair shop and a few days and USD 50 later (includes the part and labor) I got this great player up and running again with no issues so far....hope this helps.

The Pinhead likes this.
  8. JimW

Thanks for the info. Is that the original part? I think most people are using a sanyo replacement part, as the denon part was the culprit to begin with. I have yet to finish the research I want to do before taking the plunge and I plan on doing the labor myself.

9. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

I have no idea if it was the original part but I'd assume it is since it has the same P/N and it has been working flawlessly so far.

JimW likes this.
  10. JimW

I'm going to stay away from the original part and look for the sanyo replacement. I hope yours gives you many more years of service.

11. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Is there more than one laser than fits?
    I thought the Sanyo was the original.
    They all look the same to me but if one is "better" I'd like to know to make sure I get the right one.

12. JimW

I suggest you check the 2930/3930 owner's thread at AVS, where I did most of my research- and received no real help to my post there that is the same as the original post in this thread (the dvd section seems very little visited there now).

Here's a link to the last page- you'll have to go back a bit...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/18-dv...30-w-realta-t2-chip-coming-september-166.html

And to give the short answer: yes, there's more than 1, the sanyo is a replacement for the denon part (at least the way I read it- correct me if I'm wrong).

13. JimW

Update: I got a used oppo dv981hd from ebay for about twice the cost of a new laser assembly, so I went for that. Great to be able to do sacd thru hdmi and use audyssey.

I still plan to fix my 2930, but no big hurry now.

Linger63 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.