Problem with Dual 1229

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RetroSmith, Jun 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

I recently bought a Dual 1229 and just got around to firing it up.

I cannot get the metal TT off to check the idler wheel!!!

Can anyone tell me if the TT should just lift off, or is there one of those metal squeeze rings that you have to take off?

Thanks!

Mikey

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

How old is a 1229? Two ideas. First, there very well may be what is called a "C Clip" holding down the platter...in which case a flat blade screwdriver might be able to pop it off. Other idea, if it's held on by friction (weight) and the shaft and turntable are tapered, it may just be stuck from sitting there all these years.

3. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Rudy's correct. You life out the spindle and in the small cavity is a "c-ring" which you'll have to manipulate and align the open part of the "C" with the slot by rotating it. Once aligned you can lift the platter up.

mud-

4. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

mikey, if you can't get it to work PM me. I think I still have the manual and I'm hoping there's instructions on how to do it. I could scan it and email it to you.

mud-

5. RetroSmith

Ahh...the expertise here in SH!!

I did get the platter off, there was a very very thin metal "ring" locking the table in...what threw me was that it wasnt a "C ring" like I'm used to seeing.

That being said, the table still isnt working right.

With the platter OFF, the idler wheel spins at all the right speeds as I change from 33 to 45 to 78. It "seems" a bit slow, tho.

With the platter on, the thing doesnt seem to spin at all, and is most def WAY to slow. Sometimes it grinds to a halt.

I'm thinking a worn Idler wheel, altho it doesnt seem to have any "flat spots".

What do you guys think? Idler wheel, or (God Forbid) Motor?

Thanks for any help.

Mikey

6. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

It could be worn, or just aged rubber. I've seen rubber get hard, glassy and even brittle over time. If that's the case, you need a new idler. Still may be "new old stock" around somewhere--I occasionally see Dual parts on eBay from time to time.

Or maybe whatever holds the idler wheel in place (probably spring loaded) is not adjust properly or just weak from age. But I'd be more apt to question the condition of the rubber on the idler.

7. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Mikey,

Where did you buy this turkey?

:mad:

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Duals can be very interesting turntables, but IMHO they're not fit for tracking anything valueable these days. Just be careful. Friends don't let friends drive bad TT's!

10. RetroSmith

Bought it on EBAY because the seller said it was "Mint"!! To be fair, it LOOKS pretty good. If its just the idler wheel I'll be happy. I STILL think it would be fine for dubbing vinyl to CDr.

11. Steve Hoffman

Too much ruuuumble.

12. RetroSmith

Oy Vay!!

13. RetroSmith

Steve, I thought the 1229 had low rumble for a TT of that era....

14. RetroSmith

So, should I just change the Idler?

15. Steve Hoffman

..."Of that era" being the key phrase. My 1963 Buick Skylark drove great for that era too, but my Audi A6 does it better.

16. RetroSmith

Oy Vay again!!

17. RetroSmith

Geez, they want 50 bucks for the Idler wheel!! I can get a another 1229 on Ebay for that!! Crooks.

18. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Are you just trying to find a starter turntable. Mikey?

19. RetroSmith

No, Sckott, I have a Rotel 4000 with a Sumiko Blue Point for listening in the living room. The Dual is for dubbing Lps and 45s to CDR.

20. sgraham

sgraham New Member

The idler will not make the table run slow unless it is so worn that it won't drive the platter properly. (Even if the platter "slips", you can try cleaning the idler with rubber cleaner from Radio Shack, if still available, and the inner rim of the platter with alcohol. A sprinkling of talcum powder may also help.)

I am forgetting my model numbers. Does this one have a variable speed adjustment? If so then you need to adjust the height of the stepped pulley up a bit to make it go faster. Loosen the set screw in the side and then screw down the one that is inside the top to raise it a bit.

The motor may be gummed up. You can take it apart and clean out the bearings with Q-tips. You'll need to take off the stepped drive idler to get it compleletly apart (there's a small set screw in it) then make sure it's at the right height when you put it back together - cycle throught the speeds and make sure it rides on the proper "ridge" at each speed. (If you put it back together the wrong way around it'll run backwards - turn me on dead mun...) Give it a few raps all around with the back end of a screwdriver, before you reattach it, to "adjust" the bearings and make sure the shaft is turning freely.

21. RetroSmith

Great advice...thank you Steve.

Whats your guess, if the Idler seems to be spinning correctly and rides the correct "ridge" when I change speeds?

22. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Can't help much, except for

http://www.compassnet.com/concept/tables/1229.htm

sending you that link, which you might already know about, ..

..suggesting you post over at the Vinyl Asylum where there is at least one person who knows quite a bit about DUALs (not to put down anyone here, just a comment), ..

..and finally if you haven' t tried yet, suggesting that you clean the idler with a piece of dry tissue paper, spinning the wheel against the paper until it leaves no marks on the tissue (don't use alcohol on rubber parts, although you probably knew that already).

Also clean the motor shaft and the inner platter rim with some alcohol (should be safe as long as they're metal, which I assume they are) to get any grease that might've accumulated off.

Hope this is of some help, good luck

Damián

23. Steve Hoffman

Trying to get a turntable to work who's tonearm might actually hurt your fragile records is just weird. Consider it a blessing that the thing is dead in the first place.

24. RetroSmith

Sounds like uncle Steve doesnt like old TTs!!! :)

25. Steve Hoffman

That's right. The arm is not good enough to track an album correctly all the way to the center.

An old amp or speakers or preamp can't physically hurt your vinyl collection unless you lay your LP right on top of a hot amplifier. An old turntable can kill a record with one pass. Why do it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.