Problem with Music Hall Cruise Control 2 & Thorens TD160B

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ehtoo, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some of you may have tried the MH in combination with the Thorens TT.
    I don't know if anyone else has experienced the same problem after installing the Speed Control? The belt keeps slipping off the motor spindle when the unit is turned on (after platter put on inner platter). It is a new belt on the TT but, I changed it anyway to another new belt I had and still the same problem. Just as an experiment I put a twist in the belt but again it slipped off. I know this can be a regular problem with the Thoren's under normal play and switching from 33.3 to 45 however, it usually is an intermittent issue. With the MH it is occuring every time. If anyone else out there experienced the same problem and solved it, I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer.
    ehtoo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Try it without the cruise control. The Thorens really does not need it.

3. ehtoo

Adjusted the "azimuth motor screw" (Thorens description) and it solved the problem. As I generally only play Lp's on the Thoren's, I completely forgot about this adjustment until recently reminded.
    On one level I would agree the Thorens didn't have a specific speed control issue but, the MH has raised the performance of the TT. I don't know how it does this other than maybe it cleans up the current somehow. Everything has improved and it has caused me not to notice any longer the deficiencies of my Fisher 500B phono section. It has turned out to be a reasonably priced tweak for a table that continually impresses me in it's ability to improve with each small change.

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

So, basically a cleaner power supply here. Glad you got the azimuth motor screw issue fixed. Enjoy thy music!

5. ehtoo

I assume as much. Added advantage is the pitch control feature.
    I will enjoy indeed! I've had this table since the 70's and I dug it out about 2 years ago after it languished in storage in favour of my primary TT. I began to heavily modify/tweak it and everything I've done has had a significant improvement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.