Problem with my new cartdrige

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JulBab, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JulBab

JulBab New Member Thread Starter

I have a Rega RP-1 and I had the old Ortofon cartridge since the beginning. I felt that I needed a change after many hours of use. I bought the Rega Carbon cartridge ( I know it's not really a upgrade but I don't have 400$ to spend on a cartridge right now) anyway...

The people at the audio shop did the cartridge replacement and it seems to sound right to me but... it's way more sensitive. I have kids and when the walk near the table my disc skip which was not a problem with the old cartridge even when they we're running in the living room. Anyone have a idea to help with this?

2. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

My first thought was that this sounds like a cartridge<>arm compliance mismatch. But Rega sells the RP-1 packaged with the Carbon cartridge in some areas -- so that seems unlikely. What is the VTF currently set at? Have you tried a higher VTF?

3. JulBab

I have no idea since the people at the shop did the adjustment. I don't have a force gauge....

4. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Is the counterweight pushed all the way in to the stop point?

5. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The turntable may be unstable, maybe not be on all four of its feet. Make sure the turntable is in exactly the same spot as before and not "rocking" on two of its feet. Make sure the turntable is level.
    Secondly, skipping can occur when the antiskating is grossly incorrect. I do not think that's the problem with your turntable, but check it anyway. If the skip jumps ahead, dial in a little more antiskating. Since I have touched upon that topic, I always mention the dials and gauges on the turntable are often inaccurate, so the antiskating may be off. As mentioned by skriefal, the compliance may have something to do with it, but I think not as much a mismatch as perhaps the suspension is more springy, less damped by comparison to your old cartridge.

6. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I can't even put a modern TT in my living room due to the floor. You didn't move it to a slightly different location after the work, did you?

7. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Usually there's a printed scale on the front of the counterweight. Is that present on the RP-1?

The Carbon is a rather low-compliance cartridge (stiff suspension), with a recommended tracking force of 2 - 3 grams. Compared to a higher-compliance cartridge, any vibrations that are felt by the Carbon's stylus (through the LP/platter) are more likely to be "pushed" back into the arm through the stylus/cartridge. That may be the sole cause of what you're experiencing, in which case the skips you're hearing may be unavoidable -- unless you can relocate the turntable onto a sturdier surface.

But do also check that the turntable is level...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    The FRiNgE likes this.
  8. Just curious: Why do you ask this? (Nothing wrong with it, of course)

9. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

That's how the RP1 manual says to do it. If it is truly done that way, the tracking force is as heavy as it can be. The specs on the cartridge indicate it would expect a greater tracking force than the Ortofon, but it appears the RP1 isn't set up to apply that much force.

Hail Vinyl! likes this.
  10. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

As mentioned the RP1 counterweight should be all the way in against the stopper with the Carbon PU. I had the RP1 with this PU a year ago and had no problems at all. Normally these problems are due to thin floors making the turntable bump when you walk around it.

11. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

It would be hard to imagine that the stock Ortofon OM cart body outweighs the new Carbon, so if the counterweight is full forward just the increased weight of the Carbon cart body would provide a greater tracking force than with the stock OM5. MY guess is something else has changed.

I might have been pushed to try a Shure M97 on that table. It can be bought off Amazon often for under $70.

12. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

Seriously you need to buy a simple plastic tracking force gauge.
    The problem may also be the antiskate force is to high.
    If the dealer set it up they need to redo it for FREE. it obviously is not set up right.

utahusker and JPartyka like this.
  13. JulBab

Yes it is...

14. JulBab

No it's in the exact same place

15. JulBab

It's the first thing I did when I receive it...

16. JulBab

Right now the anti-skating bias is setup at 1... would it change something if I put it at 0 or 2

17. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

No, that has nothing to do with this problem.

I'd start by calling the dealer who did the set-up, and get their advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.