Problem with Shipping Costs at Acoustic Sounds

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by mwheelerk, Jul 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music... Thread Starter

I am wondering if anyone else who has recently tried to place an order at Acoustic Sounds has run into an issue with the amount being charged for shipping.? Twice this week I have attempted to place an order on two different items and the Economy Shipping option is priced at over $14 and the Two Day option over $29. This is for an order shipping within the US for a single SACD.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You have to ask for Media Mail either in the comments section, or by phone, Then your cost goes down significantly. Otherwise, those are Fed Ex prices.

3. mwheelerk

I have never had to do that in the past over many purchases it always showed the proper selection and Economy for one disc on Fedex is not $14.56. Is this something you are use to on there site?

4. Myke

Yes, it's been posted here many times. I myself prefer Fed Ex, so I buy enough to justify the cost in my mind, or get the $89.00 free shipping threshold.

5. mwheelerk

Interesting. I swear I had not seen this before but I do know my last two purchases qualified for free shipping and I probably didn't make a purchase in about a year before that.

6. Myke

They'll open at 9am your time (11 central for us ) , just give them a call then.

7. mwheelerk

Thanks MYKE. I guess I don't understand their process. I placed the two orders with other sites but had sent them a contact message asking about their shipping policy.

8. darbelob

darbelob Senior Member

I recently made my first order from Acoustic Sounds. Like you, I was charged $14 to ship one cd. It arrived with an obvious defect on the disc. What happened when I sought an exchange was very frustrating. I am relating it here mainly to get off my chest, but it does have some relevance to the $14 charge. First, no responses to email or voice mail. When I reached someone by phone, I was told I could return for an exchange, but the cost of return postage would be at my expense “because we lose money on returns.” I returned with tracking, waited for some sort of an update and received nothing. I called and was told they had received it and a replacement would be sent at some unknown time in the future because “returns are processed in the order received,” they only had one person handling this, and he was on vacation and then jury duty. He also said my exchange would be coming by media mail. After another week went by, I called again. My exchange still had not been sent. I asked if, in light of delays and charges, they wouldn’t please send fedex. They agreed and a few days later, it went out fedex. Altogether, the exchange took about a month.

I know Acoustic Sounds is much loved on the forum and my experience was unusual because the real root of the problem was an Analogue Productions disc manufactured and packaged with a decent sized chip in the non playing surface. The original shipment was timely, albeit, pricey. But still, in this era of Amazon, returns of defective discs at the seller’s expense (even on eBay), and concern about customer service ratings, it really added insult to injury that Acoustic Sounds was going to mail my exchange to me by media mail after charging for fed ex to send me a defective disc.

9. mwheelerk

Not to belabor the point though I may be. I was just on Discogs and see that Acoustic Sounds has a store there which I didn't know. Everything I see is with $5.00 shipping.

10. Myke

Back in 2009, I chose to buy my 7 CCR SACDs from their Amazon Marketplace store, because shipping was cheaper there. Only problem was Amazon Marketplace wasn't set up for combined shipping. So I got AS on the phone, told them my dilemma, they very politely told me to order, then I'd receive a refund on the lion's share of the shipping cost, which I did. I've never had a problem with them ever since.

I've even gotten funny voicemails on my home phone from Chad, after submitting reviews of various purchases.

11. Citroen

Citroen vinylholic

First time ordering from them and so far not at all impressed!

Shipping cost to NZ was too much, so asked to shipped to an on forwarder in US (who would then ship to me at a much reduced rate cf them).

Several emails, several weeks passed by with no response.

Great company doing great things but piss poor customer service!

Chad, what's the story?

12. mwheelerk

In a most recent transaction I did what you said and requested Media Mail. They shipped it Media Mail but still billed me the FedEx rates and then it was a little song and dance to get the refund on the shipping difference. That may be my last effort there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.