Problems with my Rega 3 turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nick Newport, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick Newport

Nick Newport New Member Thread Starter

A while ago i noticed that when playing LPs on my Rega 3, one of my speakers was crackling and cutting out intermittently. I checked speaker connections and turntable connections, and they seemed fine. CDs play fine through my system, so there isn't an issue with the speaker itself.
    I've changed to a Audio Technica AT95E cartridge, but the problem persists. Wiggling the wires that connect the arm to the cartridge can help, but it's not long before the sound drops out again. The fact this happens make me think the problem is something to do with said wires/connection. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Ain'tNoRight

Ain'tNoRight New Member

Just quickly switch the cable inputs and make sure the other speaker cuts out after you reverse them. This is not an unusual problem with Rega TT rca cables unfortunately. Your dealer can remedy this for you. There are some DIY methods but they require cutting into and splicing together the cable, so unless you're comfortable doing that, I would check the above first then return to your dealer. I know it's not the biggest of help but good luck.

3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It has nothing to do with the RCA cables. When changing cartridges, you need to make sure that the cartridge clips are fairly tight on the cartridge pins. The cartridge pins of various cartridges can vary in diameter and so some will be tighter than others. A loose connection will behave as you are experiencing. It can also lead to some hum issues. You need to be super careful and have a steady hand a very small set of pliers to tighten the clips without breaking them or the wires connecting them to the arm. Be careful and take your time and you will be rewarded with a solid, quiet connection that stays put.
    -Bill

DaleH and timztunz like this.
  4. Ain'tNoRight

Ain'tNoRight New Member

Bill would know.

timztunz likes this.
  5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Thank you.
    -Bill

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, Bill does know. And gives good advice. Check those cartridge clip connections. If loose, will cause channel dropout.

7. Nick Newport

Thanks, guys. I will try Bill's advice this evening and report back.

8. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

To add to Bill's advice and speaking from experience only do this when you are rested, have plenty of time and patience, and have not had a bad day.

Ain'tNoRight likes this.
  9. Ain'tNoRight

Ain'tNoRight New Member

Sorry for steering you wrong. My issue with my RP6 was my cable so I guess I jumped to that conclusion too quickly.

10. Nick Newport

Well, i tightened the cartridge pins as Bill suggested and it seems to have done the trick! Thanks everyone!!

KT88 and jupiterboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.