Problems with Rhino DVD-A'a and Technic A10

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TommyTunes, Jun 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

I going to try to explain this as clearly as I can. My setup does not have a center channel speaker, therefore I have the center channel set off in the Technics player.

When I insert a Rhino DVD-A (Dead, Yes etc) into the player it automatically defaults to the two channel mix. Even if I turn the Center Channel speaker default to ON the disc will only play in stereo.

If I set the DVD Video preference to ON, the disk will play in multichannel Dolby Digital but not multichannel DTS.

Now comes the big however, if I reset the Technics unit to factory setting by pressing the [<<], [||] and Eject buttons simultaneously then the disk will play in multi-channel DVD-A and DTS formats.

This only applies to Rhino discs all other companies are fine. Does anyone know what the problem is?

2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

When I used my dvd-a10 to play dvd-a discs (it currently is being used as a dvd/cd player in my bedroom), I had no trouble playing 5.1 dvd-a tracks on Rhino dvd-a's -- most of the time. I actually got two titles ("Rumours" and "Hotel California") where the player would mistrack on the 5.1 mixes only. I could usually remedy this by removing the disc from the player and reloading it. At first I thought I had a defective copy of Rumours, so I exchanged it. When the second copy did the same thing, and then Hotel California did it as well, I figured that there was probably a firmware problem in the dvd-a10. Unfortunately after that I also discovered that there were certain dvd-video discs it just didn't want to play, either. Given that my purchase was just a few months out of warranty at that point, I never bothered to have the thing repaired.

3. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't think it's a problem with the player because I went to an audio store and they had to do the same thing to get the Rhino discs to play if the center channel speaker was turned off.

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Probably this is because THE GRATEFUL DEAD DISCS DO NOT HAVE A DTS TRACK, just Dolby Digital. Look on the packaging & the menus (the packaging isn't always correct, but the menus are).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.