Production: Make Satanic Majestie's Request, Goat's Head Soup and It's Only Rock N' Roll better

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ophelia, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ophelia

Ophelia Forum Resident Thread Starter

It seems from audiophiles the biggest problems those albums face is a poor production. I don't agree with the exception of IORR. I think Goat's Head Soup is the best they could've gotten out of the circumstances. But I'm curious from a production/mixing perspective what you'd do to "fix" those records if you had access to the master tapes?

2. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

I'd send the master tapes to Hoffman.

3. Satanic is one of their best-recorded albums IMO. Not much room for improvement.

4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Totally agree. Not hearing much wrong with this one.

Or the other two really. All three have production that suits the music.

Paper Wizard likes this.
  5. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I've always loved Satanic since Santa brought it to me for Christmas 1967. But I also wish it had more bass and a warmer sound. It sounds shrill and thin to me, no matter what system I listen to it on.

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I was thinking it's only problem is some tracks sound tinny. But I've never minded that. 2000 Light Years Away From Home is the best sounding track on the LP, probably because it needed more bass due to the prominent bassline. I have an original too, a stereo copy.

7. signothetimes53

'Tinny' is an adjective I agree with.

I guess the question I'd ask is this: are the original master tapes so compromised sonically that playing with the EQ is only putting the proverbial 'prom dress on a pig'?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Man at C&A likes this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Do the CDs sound the same? I've only heard the vinyl.

9. signothetimes53

I haven't heard the vinyl in years, no turntable in my house, but the CDs could use some help.

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Satanic is a bit bright but a good mono copy tames that down and adds some bottom end. In addition to being the better mix... IMHO.

GetRhythm and ralphb like this.
  11. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I don't think there's any way to make Rock N' Roll better. :cool:

mbleicher1 likes this.
  12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

While a remix would be interesting, SMR only needs a bit of low end beefed up...otherwise, I think it's the best sounding Stones album up to that point. GHS needs a complete remix overhaul. Of the three, I think IORAR has the fullest, best rounded out sound (that sure doesn't mean it's the best album of the 3, though)..

13. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

The production on Satanic and Goats doesn't really bother me, I think it fits the music.
    That said, something about It's Only Rock'n'Roll feels very stiff.

All Down The Line likes this.
  14. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

check out the mono mix

15. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Majesty's was done on 4-track, not sure if the multis still exist for it.

GHS would need a fair bit of tweaking, as Jamaica's Dynamic Sound Studios was a very dead sounding main room, as Ken Scott found out. Some EMF plate reverb, perhaps? "Angie" sounds the best, as far as mix/amience, to my ears.

IORR would require more judicious mixing to eliminate the cluttered sound, with some of Ray Cooper's contributions a bit lower in places.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

16. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I would like to hear the funk brought up in If You Can' t Rock Me.

17. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Turn down the Suck

18. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Compare the sound of It's Only Rock And Roll to Black And Blue- both albums recorded in the same studio by the same engineer barely a year apart. Stones fans have disagreed for 42 years as to the musical merits of Black And Blue but still consider it to the best sounding Stones album, while It's Only Rock And Roll...isn't. IORR sounds very "blah" to me, especially the drum sound, it's got that slightly wimpy sounding mid-70's 'thump' to it. For best sounding version of the album I'd give the edge to the 80's CBS reissue, but it isn't a huge improvement over the original Atlantic or Virgin reissue. Whereas you really can't go wrong with any version of B & B, it's a great sounding album- especially the drums. Production wise, how would I improve It's Only Rock And Roll? Get Jimmy Miller off of smack and back into the producer's chair, that'd be a start...

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  19. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

20. All Down The Line

Black and Blue not only sounds superb but is!

Shaddam IV and Neonbeam like this.
  21. ohnothimagen

Indeed, but when that snare of Charlie's kicks in on "Hot Stuff" you can't help but say, "Holy crap! That sounds good!"

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

It's their 'best' sounding recording IMO. Not necessarily what you always want for the Stones tho. You could argue that the "Some Girls" sound suits the band better.

23. All Down The Line

Not always but it was a damn fine change from playing Only Rock and Roll.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  24. ohnothimagen

If only Some Girls sounded as good as Black And Blue...or Emotional Rescue, for that matter, another fine sounding Stones album.

All Down The Line likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.