Project P2 or Rega Planner 1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sgt Pepper, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Nothing. Price it out. If it’s favourable, go for it.

Leonthepro likes this.
  2. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

There are reviews raving about the MK3 already. I don’t expect the HiFi News review to be any different. Rega has improved yet again in a good thing.

Leonthepro likes this.
  3. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I wouldnt think so, I rarely hear people who test this product praise it very much. Its not bad I dont think, but I would guess that at best its a minimal upgrade to your current built in one. Dont take my word for it though.

KT88 and Sgt Pepper like this.
  5. Leonthepro

I read about people saying it is possible to do so but that there are small variations inside the cart which doesnt allow just the new stylus and cantilever to perform at its best, but very close to it. Its unbelievable to me that just a physical change in the stylus tip can make a sound stage so much wider as in the clip. But I suppose it is.

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Believe it. It's a physical medium.
    -Bill

patient_ot likes this.
  7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It's a very good phono pre but my advice would be to not buy it if you live close to a radio station. After my last move I was getting RFI and had to eventually sell it, now moving onto something else which is en route.

Leonthepro likes this.
  8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If it were me and I wanted to save a few bucks, I would buy a used MP-300 or MP-30 cart body, and then buy a new MP500 stylus. The 110 is missing the stylus set screw that the MP-500/50 and the MP-300/30 have.

Leonthepro likes this.
  9. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I believe the P2 designation is incorrect in this case. Back in the early 90's Pro-Ject had three different tuntables in their model program:

Pro-Ject 1
    Pro-Ject 2
    Pro-Ject 6

In the late 90's/early 2000's they had models like Pro-Ject 0.5, Pro-Ject 1.2 & 1.2E, Pro-Ject 2.9 Classic & 2.9 Wood, Pro-Ject 6.1 & 6.9, Pro-Ject Perspective and they kept the plain Pro-Ject 2 in production as well. The one we see in the video is the plain Pro-Ject 2 model- the P2 designation is from Rega.

By the way, I've a friend that has a Pro-Ject 2 and IMHO it's a great turntable still in its simplicity- I'll put it somewhere between the Pro-Ject Essential III and/or Pro-Ject Debut models soundwise though it has a much simpler tonearm. I still have my good old Pro-Ject 6.1 (got it in 1997) and it's a great sounding turntable as well.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Sgt Pepper and Leonthepro like this.
  10. Leonthepro

Great info GyroSE. Du är kunnig du!

11. Leonthepro

Is there an easy way for me to tell if I live near a radiostation? I dont really know any close by, then again Im not super familiar with everything in town near me.

Ive seen videos with the Schiit and Nagaoka combo and it was better than a compared tube amp. Would be a nice addition for me especially with the reachable price, the Rega FONO MK3 which I also look at is 3 times the cost.

12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

FM Fool - Home

Read what this other guy posted elsewhere - had the same problem as me:

FS: Schiit Mani - Vinyl Engine

13. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I'm glad to help! Ibland har man lite koll på läget..... :righton:

14. Sgt Pepper

Just an update. I took Bill's advice and upgraded to the 530 MKII Stylus and, he was right, fantastic sound, like a veil has been lifted on what I considered a good sounding budget system.
    I am demoing the Angle Audio phono stage tomorrow.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    KT88, Bob_in_OKC and Leonthepro like this.
  15. Leonthepro

Congrats!

Sgt Pepper likes this.
  16. Sgt Pepper

Sorry, that should have read 530 stylus. :doh:

17. Sgt Pepper

Just a quick question, where does the Phono Stage plug into on my Marantz 6003 Amp:

Marantz UK | PM6003

18. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Use any available analog line-level input, but NOT the Phono input (it’s not line-level). All the other inputs - Tuner, CD, etc. - are line-level, just labeled differently for convenience.

Leonthepro and Sgt Pepper like this.
  19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Let's be blunt. Cheap Projects are crap in design and build and so likely is their cheap phono stage. I suggest the OP saves up for something that costs quite a bit more to get an improvement. The level I would be aiming at is a minimum of £600. Rega P3, Michell Tecnodec, Pioneer PLX1000. Generally half decent phono stages start at around £150 but for MM only look at the cheaper Edwards Audio Apprentice (£80).

20. Sgt Pepper

The P2 I believe was never a considered a " crap" turntable and I have been sent the Angle Audio Audiophile Phono Stage to demo, it has been compared with Phono Stages costing upwards of £400.

21. Leonthepro

No reason to be blunt, OP has made his upgrade and has been told about these issues before and even in this very thread I believe.
    Let it be satisfactory until he himself feels like he wants something else.

willboy, Sgt Pepper and Bob_in_OKC like this.
  22. Sgt Pepper

Thanks.
    I was blown away last night with the sound quality from the cartridge upgrade and looking forward to trying the Angle Phono Stage tonight.

Leonthepro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.