Project Tubebox S Valve MM/MC Phonostage upgrade over built in phonostage?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gareth79, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gareth79

Gareth79 New Member Thread Starter

Morning,

I'm new to the forum and was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Tubebox S? Can see a fair bit of info on some of Projects other tube products and the general impression I get is good. I currently have a Rega RP3 with Nagaoka MP-110 and this is going through the built in phonostage on the Roksan Kandy K2 which in turn is powering some B&W 683 s2's. Will the Project be a step up over the Roksan? Anyone have any other recommendations around the same price point (doesn't have to be valve) or am I best sticking with the Roksan and saving my cash.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

This seems like a place where the money spent isn't doing as much for you as it could elsewhere. I liked the Tube Box I owned for a while, but the price of one could cover a Dynavector 10x5 or an Ortofon 2M Bronze.

3. Go for a cartridge upgrade instead.

4. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

If you're staying MM then I would place them pretty much on a par.

5. Can you explain this? I don't see that a cartridge choice between MM(MI) or MC would be a factor.

6. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Well because the Roksan is MM only, and I would not regard the Project as a marked improvement. A massive improvement on MC sound though ;)

7. Got ya. You were referring to the MM stage in the Roksan and not a cartridge. My mistake.

8. Gareth79

The dynavector is high output MC though and would work fine with the Roksan if I'm not mistaken? It's definitely something that's been on the radar given the amount of good press it gets.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  9. The Dynavector 10x5 will definitely work and it's a fine cartridge.

10. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I have a tube box DS and the sonic transformation of introducing valves into the mix has exceded expectations. Especially with some telefunken NOS tubes, but the stock tubes showed what is possible. Life like clarity, openness, imaging, especially everything centered in the recording. Saxes and trumpets sound scary real, as do female vocals. Absolutely go for it. Leaves even the best digital in the dust.

gklainer likes this.
  11. russk

russk Forum Resident

If you're not looking at a moving coil I'd go with either the TTPSU for your table or sink the money into an MP300 since you seem to like Nagaoka. Its a great cartridge.

12. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I have the Tube Box S. I purchased it with a Pro-Ject Classic with a MM cartridge. I ended up returning that table due to some problems I had with lifting the platter to change speeds.

I now have a low output MC cartridge and I have noticed that this phono stage is rather noisy as I approach half volume. I did not notice the white noise with the MM and if I were to guess I would say it was equivelant to the noise I get on my CD channels. Of course I was only boosting 41 db vs the 61 db I am now boosting.

So that is something to consider. I also find changing settings to be a royal pain and I am always afraid I am going to break the tiny switches. Having said that it can sound very sweet.

13. russk

russk Forum Resident

I wasn't a fan of it. The Lehmann or Clearaudio and Rega phono pres were much better sounding to me

14. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Did you find it noisy, russk? And could you, or anyone else, tell me if a tube phono stage is tends to be a little noisier than solid state with an MC?

15. russk

russk Forum Resident

I found it noisy and lacking in detail. Yes tube phono stages tend to being a little noisier than solid state. You are introducing all the veribles of a vacuum tube into a very sensitive circuit. A nice high gain, quiet pair of tubes goes a long way toward improving them but still they're noisier

Rich C likes this.
  16. Gareth79

cheers for the replies. Got me thinking of using my money on a new cartridge now though. Shop I bought the TT from has suggested fitting a audio technica at150mlx as he reckons it's the best MM cartridge around. Reviews I've read seem to back this up. Any thoughts or experiences with this cartridge?

17. avanti1960

tube box ds- slightly noticeable hiss at 1/2 volume (which is very loud on my amps) music plays- all is forgiven.

Ash76 and Rich C like this.
  18. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Yes, that is basically my experience. Although I do hear that "wind blowing" a bit during the quieter passages.

Thanks for posting this. It makes me feel better to know my phono stage is operating as normal.

19. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

20. russk

russk Forum Resident

Tube Rush? Used to be a term to describe a whooshing sound. Try some Sovtek 12ax7lps tubes from a good dealer get a low noise, high gain, matched pair. Can get them for 40 bucks delivered. Should go a long way toward quieting it up

21. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I just purchased the Lounge Audio LCR MKIII after reading some very positive comments here on the forum and like it a lot. Great detail, wide soundstage, very affordable and a U.S. product from a small company as well; read more here: http://www.loungeaudio.com/#!preamps/c1geb

22. avanti1960

Lots of people like those tubes. have you compared to any NOS brands?

23. russk

russk Forum Resident

I replaced a pair of repro Tung Sol with those. Noticably quieter and bit more gain then the Tung Sol. Overall I preferred them in the phono section. Then I replaced them with a pair of Mullard Short plates. The Sovtek were good but they can't compare with the Mullards. The Mullards were dead quiet and beautiful sounding.

Colin M likes this.
  24. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

Not all tube stages are noisy. It really depends on a number of factors of which tube choice is only one. Design can make a huge difference as can the choice of PS and the quality of other components. My Opera PM-1 is in fact quieter than many SS units. Even at high levels the combination of it with the CJ PV-12 pre produces no audible hiss.

I'd suggest that you already have a pretty decent phono stage in the Roksan and could get more benefit from an upgrade in the cart or some choice arm upgrades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.