Projection LCD's?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GoldenBoy, Jun 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater Thread Starter

I was wondering if anyone knows if the rear projection LCD televisions suffer from the same viewing angle problems as their flat-panel counterparts?

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Yes, the LCD TV's are similar to the Plasmas in viewing angles.

If you want great viewing angles on a digital TV, check out the new Samsung DLP (Digital Light Projection) Tv's now in some stores. Toshiba also has their LCOS brand which are state-of-the-art.

I'm saving for a 50 to 56" Sammy DLP Tv myself. These babies are hot! The 56"er for instance has a width of only 49.9" and weighs below 100 lbs with a slim case (18-20" deep).
    With DVI inputs you can connect a DVI-capable DVD player (Bravo D1 or Samsung 931) and get a virtual HDTV DVD picture.

3. GoldenBoy

Just to make it clear, I am referring to LCD 'Rear-Projection' TV's in comparison to flat-panel LCD's, not plasma screens. I'm not the least bit interested in those. I believe them to be overpriced and overrated. When I used the phrase 'flat-panel counterparts', I was referring to flat-panel LCD's, not Plasma screens. Sorry for any confusion. :)

4. GoldenBoy

BUMP:o

I'm sorry, but I'm really interested in trying to find this out before I waist time trying to track a projection LCD down in a store somewhere and giving it a look.

5. JohnG

The present king of LCD Rear Projection TV's is currently the Sony Grand Wega 2 LCD TV. It comes in a 50" model and a 60" model.

Crutchfield sells them.

NY's "The Wiz" had a 50" model in display at their Carle Place store a few months ago but I guess their closed by now.

The Sony has a very nice picture and the movie "Ice Age" looked stunning on it. After seeing this model in action at that time I was all convined that it would be my future TV until I discovered the Samsung DLP's (as seen at BestBuy).

I don't know where you can see a Sony GW2 at this point but call around Sony TV dealers.

Another thing, the Sony GW2 will be coming down in price by Christmas. Sony recently announced they are dropping the 50" by $1000.

Right now the GW2 50" costs around $3999. It should be around $2999 by Christmas. From that price you can try to get a further discount at places like PC Richards.

btw, Panasonic also makes a 42" LCD TV that is usually in BestBuys near the Samsung DLP's. The Panasonic also has a nice picture but it has a futuristic-looking case (you may dig it or not).

6. GoldenBoy

but how is the viewing angle on the projection LCD? Does it suffer from the same deficiencies as the flat panel LCD's?

7. JohnG

i've read that for those who own a GW2, the viewing angles are not bad, better than plasma.

but of course you would have to see one in person to really see if these kind of sets are for you.

8. GoldenBoy

Sure. I suppose I will ultimately have to track one down and take a look. I certainly wouldn't drop 2 or 3 Grand on one before doing so.

9. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I used to have a Sony 50" GW and the LCD had the limited viewing angle (which wasn't an issue for me) with a noticeable variation in brightness based on viewing angle (standing up would produce a strange sensation as the image went through a massive range of brightnesses) . One of the things that put me off was the fan noise - I found this very off putting but most everyone else who came round to watch movies never noticed it

I would suggest avioding Toy Story, Ice Age, Monsters Inc. as the demonstration - these would look good on a 14" portable with the tube about to die. Torture test DVDs include the opening scenes of Lost in Space - good test of black levels and colour bleed and something like U-571 to check out shadow details.

All the best - Andrew

10. GoldenBoy

Thank you Andrew, I apreciate your help and suggestions.

11. JohnG

btw, stopped by the New Hyde Park PC Richards this morning and they do have a SONY 60" Grand Wega LCD TV on display.

They were showing "Shrek" and it does have a vibrant colorful picture. The viewing angle is poor though.

They also had a 43" Samsung DLP TV on display that was showing the Cartoon Network or something. This TV has a much better viewing angle than the Sony LCD.
    PC Richards is asking $2800 for it but said they'd sell it to me for $2600.

I'm waiting for the upcoming 46" HLN467 which should have Samsung's latest internals built-in. If I could get PCR to sell me that model for around $2600, we would have a deal!

12. JohnG

Here's a pic of the upcoming 70" Grand Wega LCD TV!

[​IMG]

13. GoldenBoy

Thanks John. That Sony sure looks sweet, but it is way too big for me. I really can't get anything that is over 57" or so with my space constraints. Even the 60 inchers are a bit too big for me.

14. JohnG

There is a 50" Grand Wega that can be ordered. 50" seems to be the perfect size for me when it comes to a TV, not to big not to small.

The Sony GW2's have to be the most beautiful TV's ever created. Just stunning looks.
    But they are expensive and have their problems ( poor blacks, dead pixels, viewing angle not as good as a tube).

Everyone needs to check out the DLP TV's, they come in the right size, excellent technology and the prices will begin to drop.
    Sears, BestBuy, PC Richards and very soon Circuit City will be carrying them in their stores.

15. GoldenBoy

Are the DLP's all only projectors at this point, without any rear-projection type DLP TV's?

16. JohnG

This is the Samsung HLN507, their 50" DLP TV Model.

[​IMG]

A very nice looking TV with all the digital goodies one expects from the next generation of TV's (DVI etc..)

This 50" model has a width of only 46" so its very slim-line much like a plasma or LCD TV.
    DLP TV's also weigh very little compared to RPTV's whic can weigh 300lbs and are monsters to move around a room.
    The HLN507 weighs around 90lbs!

BestBuy's usually have one on display but don't buy one there...over priced...PC Richards is the better deal.

17. GoldenBoy

Great. Thanks for the info. I am very much interested in the DLP's, but I was under the impression that they were only available in front projectors. Now I know differently. To bother you for another bit of information - you wouldn't happen to know if Sony has out or is planning to put out any DLP model televisions do you?

18. JohnG

No, Sony has not gotten into DLP as of now.

Toshiba, Phillips and Samsung are the leaders so far.

By Christmas all these brands should have their latest DLP TV's out for review.

Personally I am impressed with the Sammy's and I'm waiting for the newest DLP models the HLN467 and the HLN567 (46" and 56").
    The advantage to waiting for the newest models is that these will have the latest internals compared to the previous HLM models which are very good but lack discrete codes for universal remotes.

19. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Goldenboy, if you can wait (or can afford the couple that are available now) you should hold out for an Lcos based set. They don't suffer many of the problems that LCD (or DLP) rear projection set have. They also offer full resolution with HDTV sources - something only 9" CRT front projectors have been able to do.

I've seen Toshiba's, which IIRC was a 57" model for around $9000. Too expensive yes, but the 2nd gen models should be better and cheaper. The picture was fantastic and the contrast ratio more than adequate - another advantage over DLP and LCD sets.

I understand if you can't wait, but I for one will getting one of these as soon as they are priced competitively.

20. GoldenBoy

Thanks for the suggestion Gabe, I will certainly take that under consideration. As for waiting, I have no problem with that. I'm really in no rush and, to tell you the truth, I probably won't be getting anything until sometime next year because right now finances are a little tight. I'm currently in the midst of having my kitchen remodeled, preparing to buy a new pair of Tannoys and a new computer and I just bought a new 20" Sony TV for my bedroom - not to mention all those darned SACD's they keep making me have to buy, like the ENTIRE Bob Dylan SACD release catalogue. :eek: I don't think I'm ready to drop another 3 or 4 Grand just yet. I'm basically in the research stages.

21. JohnG

My local Circuit City (Massapequa Park) had the HLN507 on display today for the first time.

Looked great up against the other regular RPTV's along the wall.

CC wanted $3499 for the 50" model, $2999 for the 43".

But again PC Richards can beat those prices.

btw, LCOS may have a little better picture than current DLP, haven't seen one but the lifespan of a LCOS set is still debateable. We know that all you have to do to keep a DLP set going for years is replace the 100w bulb in the rear that any consumer can do. Once a new bulb is in place the TV is back to brand new. No convergence needed. No burn-in from Video Games or 4x3 TV shows. The DLP also hooks up easily to a computer and can be used as a large monitor.

22. GabeG

GabeG New Member

From my understanding Lcos last longer - they also need only replacement bulbs - the chips themselves don't burn out.

23. JohnG

Over at the AVS Forum, many people are buzzed about the Toshiba LCOS and the Phillips LCOS. Also RCA may have a DLP coming soon.

Problem is still the price (right now $8K) and the availablity. A new line of Toshiba LCOS, 55" at around $5K is coming maybe in September 2003.

Still the Sammy 50" HLN507 which can be picked up at around $3K is still a wonderful HDTV. Very very clear colorful bright picture.

I was just watching one at Circuit City for about a half-hour and still cannot find anything wrong with the picture. It blew away all the RPTV's near it. Just more lifelike than many of the RPTV's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.