Pros-Cons on Jolida JP9II, McIntosh MP100 and the Parasound JC 3...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGuy, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

I'm contemplating a phono premp for my C28 McIntosh and VPI Prime Scout - I know the Jolida upgraded version is much cheaper than the other two. I like the idea of a McIntosh preamp with my Mc system but it isn't necessary. Also hard to find the parasound and Mc used...jolida is only $799

2. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

The Parasound isn't hard to find used, it's just that it's pretty well known so doesn't stay around long if priced competitively. There's a dealer ad for a JC3 on Audiogon right now for $1495, but most people want the latest and greatest model. There was also a Musical Surroundings Nova II earlier today for around $800 that sold very quickly, and there's a black Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+ on USAM right now for $475. Lots of options above and below to explore beyond those you list.

3. McGuy

Thanks! that's the problem, too many choices and can't really audition something like this without it connected to your specific system - at least that's my thought. guess I could just drink more and pick a straw...

4. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

I highly recommend the Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+. It's a very clean and neutral sounding preamp and it has tons of gain, and a ridiculous amount of cartridge loading options. The one listed on US Audio Mart is actually formerly my unit, as it turns out. Small world...

You can't go wrong with that one. I only sold it because I moved away from records.

AaronW, Hogues and McGuy like this.
  5. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

With the Jolida you can roll tubes and op amps plus the cost of the unit is reasonable. There's a wealth of info for modding the Jolida online. I'm happy with mine.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  6. McGuy

I know there’s an upgraded jolida that’s not much more than the standard.

7. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I had the McIntosh MP-100 and upgraded to the vacuum tube McIntosh MP-1100 several months ago. I know nothing about the Jolida or Parasound. If you have ANY mono records in your collection, make sure that the phono preamp that you buy has a mono switch. Luckily, McIntosh showed some foresight and included a mono switch on the MP-100.

When listening to classical records (RCA Living Stereo, Mercury Living Presence etc):
    The MP-100 had excellent soundstaging which presented a fabulous three-dimensional soundstage from 3-mike stereo records, much better than the phono stage built into my main preamp. The sound was balanced (smooth, relaxed) and I could listen for hours without any fatigue. Orchestral balance was full and realistically presented from piccolo to contra-bassoon. The first thing that I look for in any piece of audio equipment is whether one can here "separation" of instruments in a large ensemble. That is, instruments don't just blur together into an indecipherable mass of sound. The MP-100 handled "instrumental separation" on complex recordings (ie: the Reiner Chicago Symphony Pines of Rome). The MP-100 revealed details in the recording that I had never heard before, even when listening to the SACD version of the same recording.

All-in-all, an excellent, but rather expensive ($2000) phono preamp. If considering this preamp or any piece of McIntosh equipment, I'd contact Audio Classics to see if there are any slightly used or demo units available (they warranty their used/demo stuff for a year, I believe). Also beware that McIntosh's service department is ALWAYS very severely backed up. If the thing ever requires warranty service, you may wait 6 months to get your equipment back.

8. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

There's a vg deal on a Phonomana II+ here on SHTV classifieds.

9. McGuy

so...figure i'd update y'all - went down to music direct since they're local and picked up the Jolida. got home and realized they sold me the standard, not the upgraded one...crap! kinda bummed I can't hook it up today.

10. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

That’s a bummer. I got my moded Jolida JD9II from MD. Quiet, smooth and natural. I think you’ll be happy one you get the right unit

11. McGuy

Tomorrow! But I have to use crappy interconnects until my new Morrows arrive.

12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I see this mentioned often but what I never see is the fact that ;

1) Many amps have a mono switch like my Arcam AVR350.
    2) You can buy a mono/stereo switch, easily available on this forum for very little money.

In any case, looking for a mono switch on the preamp itself is definitely not a requirement that should stop anybody from buying whichever phono preamp they want.

13. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

No one is "required" to buy anything. We're not talking religion here. I was simply offering some helpful advice and giving kudos to McIntosh for including a mono switch on their phono preamps since for playing mono records, you eliminate half the clicks and pops on a mono record by engaging the mono switch.

russk and Rolltide like this.
  14. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

After owning several phono stages, I have settled on a McIntosh MP100. Some of the features I like about it are dual inputs, dual outputs, front panel control of capacitance and loading as well as a mono switch. If front panel access to such features is not of importance to you, then there are other options that may work well for you.

The largest limitation of the MP100 is there are only two fixed gains settings - one for MM and one for MC.

But the thing I like most about it is it passes through a very clean, quiet and true signal from what it is fed. Others may like their phono stage to color the sound it is fed - I am not one of them. I can do that elsewhere in my system if needed/desired.

Happy hunting!

15. McGuy

dammmmmit! audio classics now has an MP100 in EX condition for $1400...and I just got the jolida. I can always return the jolida...hm...

16. Erik Tracy

I would.

Rolltide likes this.
  17. McGuy

Dammmmmmit! Really?

18. Erik Tracy

I tried the first gen bone stock JD9 - couldn't get it to sound 'right' in my rig.

It has great flexibility and options in setup and is a favorite among the diy group for tweaks and upgrades, but I just wanted a quantum step up in a phono pre and was too lazy to try any of the tweaks/upgrades. It was just a 'meh' component in my rig.

Probably just me.

Maybe the genII is better.

19. McGuy

Crap! Guess I’m gettin’ da Mac! At least it’s pretty.

20. Erik Tracy

Have you tried the JD9II yet?

21. McGuy

I did. And I’m not truly sure it made any difference. It’s imoissible to test side by side obviously. But it doesn’t blow me away. Maybe it’s not supposed to.

22. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I'd not get the Mac or the Jolida. I'd look strongly at the Parasound JC-3 Jr.

Erik Tracy likes this.
  23. Erik Tracy

True - can't really switch back and forth on the fly.

I listened to a whole side of an LP with one device, then switched to the other and replay the same LP side.

Take a break.

Then reversed the order.

My conclusion was not as good as yours, though. No matter what I set on that stock JD9MkI, I always had that scrunched look of "that just doesn't sound as good (or right)".

It's your money - you got your ears on the JD9II, don't keep it out of obligation. No harm, no foul.

24. McGuy

would be nice to be able to flip a switch and hear each one quickly. I guess I could take a video recording of the same song using with and without the jolida, but that's not exactly hifi...if i can get the price down a bit more on the McIntosh might just jump on it.

25. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Be patient with the Morrows. They are good but take a loooonnng time to break in.

Many will argue about break in but I heard it with the Morrows.

I have the Jolida and like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.