PSB 6T Worthy Backups?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kristofa, Aug 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units Thread Starter

Hi all,

A local used store has a pair of PSB 6T speakers for $449. They look to be in great shape and come with the boxes, etc.

The question is...does anybody have an opinion on these speakers? I don’t have an immediate use for them, but if that price is a true bargain, then perhaps I will find a use sooner than later. I have only heard the small 1b speakers. If I pick them up, they might fit into a spare room using these as the mains and the 1bs as the surrounds and center (I have four 1b speakers but haven’t done anything with them yet).

Thanks!

2. Aereoplain

Aereoplain Forum Resident

Well designed, nice sounding speakers

Kristofa likes this.
  3. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

I have three pairs of PSB speakers from almost top of the line tower, alpha and medium line towers.
    I don't know your model but trust me. PSB rules for high quality at a decent price.

Cheers

oldhand and Kristofa like this.
  4. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

For $449 you want them. Use them for a couple months and sell them for $500 if you don’t like them

Kristofa likes this.
  5. Kristofa

Thanks everyone. Sorry for not providing the full name of the speakers. They are the PSB Imagine T6 towers. Looking at the PSB website, the cones are yellow, but the ones for sale are grey (like my PSB 1b bookshelf speakers I found at a thrift store). I suppose this suggests that the grey ones are older, but it seems that the T6 isn’t being made anymore.

6. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Now if those are the older Platinum T6 towers you don’t want those. Tell me the name of the seller and I will drive across country to pick them up and dispose of them properly ;)

7. Kristofa

Phew! They are NOT the Platinum T6 towers, so all is well! :)

8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I owned the T6s for over a year purchased new. They are really good / great speakers but require careful system matching and room placement to get the best of them. Definitely forward / aggressive sounding which is awesome for vocals and guitars but can be a little bright without a smooth sounding amplifier and source. Extreme build quality- solid cabinets and bi-amp capable. Bass is absolutely monster if not overbearing (unfortunately) no subwoofer is needed at all. These babies can pound. Can take gobs of power and get crazy loud too- I ran them with 250 watts / channel and they were stupendous- dynamic and flat out wall shakers. And finally the imaging is incredible thanks to the narrow cabinets with rounded baffles and high quality crossover phase tuning.
    If you don't mind too much bass at times and have an amp that isn't aggressive sounding (class D or your basic AVR- forget about it) these can be some incredibly satisfying speakers and a decent value when they were new (~1200) and a steal at what you can get them for.

Ivand and Kristofa like this.
  9. I’m listening to PSB speakers as I type. If you like the sound of the ones you have, I’d think you would enjoy the T6 Towers even more. They have been making good speakers for a long time. Enjoy!

Kristofa likes this.
  10. Kristofa

Thank you all for your input and insight!

I purchased them today. I sold some old electronics to the guy and he knocked over one hundred off the asking price.

I disconnected my Tekton Double Impacts and hooked these up on the inside them, so they were about 5 feet apart (as my DIs are about 6 feet apart). They were being driven by a Parasound HINTO. Everything @avanti1960 states is what I experienced. They didn’t distort at high levels and had plenty of bass. They were edgy, certainly, and I think they will be fun to power match down the road. Imaging and soundstage may have improved with better placement, and I will certainly do that down at a later date when I am itching for a tweak.

I also believe I have been rather spoiled with my DIs, as they have a refinement and completeness of sound that I have grown to adore. They have a significantly different presentation, but that is to be expected since the DIs are 1.5 feet taller, have a vastly different driver array—and three times the SRP!

I hooked up the DIs as mains again and placed the T6s into the rear to see how they would handle surround duty for multichannel music. Now being driven by my Yamaha AVR, they still had some of the treble harshness (my test disc for this harshness is the chorus on Elton John’s “Rocket Man” track on the SACD). Yet I could tell there was a bit better roundedness to the midrange compared to my Polk rti A3 bookshelf speakers. There isn’t much lower frequency signal to surrounds (even when set as large), so the T6s are undoubtedly being short handed in this configuration!) I raised the T6s up on 12” speaker stands that elevated the tweeter above ear level, and this helped immensely. There was more of a diffused surround scape that was pleasant, but probably not very accurate. I think I will keep them as surrounds until my CD/LP overstock/equipment room opens up next month. I will likely move the Polks back into surrounds and use the T6s as mains in that room with the PSB B1s as surrounds—as my original plan. That way I can swap gear much easier in that room vs the main setup in living room.

And I agree with everyone who has posted on this thread: They are great speakers at a great price, and I am lucky to have snagged them!

Thanks again!

Shoalcove likes this.
  11. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

Enjoy.
    I don't think there is a better speaker for the money, but, this is my humble opinion.
    What do I know anyway.
    I am just a baby that smokes filtered cigarettes and unfiltered ones when I don't have any money for the booze I consume.

Shoalcove and Kristofa like this.
  12. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I got an amazing deal on T6 towers locally from someone on SHF. Very happy with them and easily worth the original asking price. Love the used market !

Kristofa likes this.
  13. Kristofa

On your T6s, is the tweeter between two drivers or is it on top? I am thinking my newly purchased PSBs may be different than the T6s owned by other members.

Mine have the tweeter on top with grey cones. No yellow.

14. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Image T6 Tower - PSB Speakers

These are the ones I have. I always get T6 and 6T confused. Hope that helps.

15. Kristofa

Thank you, it does help. My apologies for getting these all mixed up, everyone.

Mine are the 6T model. I am guessing you all have the T6.

Such a silly way to name different models of speakers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.