Pu**y Galore/Boss Hog/Jon Spencer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oldturkey, Aug 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can't find hardly anything on this forum about these bands. I have quite a lot of their cds since hearing a career-spanning documentary on XFM in the mid 1990s.

Top of the tree for me is the Action Box which I have on double 7" Red and Black vinyl. (It's also on a Japanese import cd Girl Positive+/Action Box).
    The track Bunny Fly is what rock should be all about - kick-ass guitar, loud drums, 1st take rawness and unintelligible lyrics spat and shouted out.

More people should have a chance to listen to it, so here it is - @ 2.11 the middle track from the excellent 1991 Peel session - the rest of the session is fantastic so I'd listen to the whole lot if I was you. Then listen to the Drinkin' Lechin' and Lyin' LP cause you're gonna need some more.

2. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I'd like to buy some consonants.:magoo:

Neonbeam likes this.
  3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I was a bit of a fan of Jon Spencer (and the Boss Hog album covers).

They have had a new lease of life recently thanks to the film Baby Driver. I keep hearing Bell Bottoms all over the place. Let's hope it will result in some new fans.

oldturkey likes this.
  4. doublenaught

doublenaught Forum Resident

I have the Boss Hog Whiteout LP on white vinyl and like it very much.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I love JSBX, but haven't heard what they've been doing lately (post 2000...yikes I'm old). My absolute favourite is the Experimental Remixes EP. Such good music. Especially the 2 versions of "Flavor". Check it out.

bluemooze, Balthazar and oldturkey like this.
  6. oldturkey

Everything he does sounds good to me, but I am both a punk fan and an Elvis fan, so it sort of makes sense.
    That's Beck isn't it?
    Some guy on 'YouTube has put up a few whole albums, like

***** Galore - This Friday Night Only from the Hate **** Capitol City of the... (1988) [Full Album]

Balthazar likes this.
  7. oldturkey

I love his Elvis voice on this - Sweet & Sour.

Edit - Jools Holland looks terrified.

Purple Jim likes this.
  8. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

Boss Hog played here in Portland, ME a few months ago and, even after all these years, brought it! Sadly, not a ton of people were at the show but those who were were probably around my age 40. Also, the band hung out after and mixed it up with the fans.

Echoes71 and oldturkey like this.
  9. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Here *****, *****, *****.

JulesRules likes this.
  10. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I've got a lot of the Boss Hog and JSBE. This is one of my favorites off of the Girl+ EP

oldturkey likes this.
  11. oldturkey

Honeymoon Killers is another band Jon Spencer was in. I don't know anything about them.

12. oldturkey

I'm gonna spend the next half hour watching this. Boss Hog live and on fire. Christina totally ruling.

13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

I have this JSBE album (great stuff) and the first Boss Hog which is pretty good.

14. oldturkey

Yeah - I got that, then I realised there was an accompanying DVD which I had to track down on EBay. I'll have to dig it out, I can't remember much about it, except that it was good.
    The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Plastic Fang

Edit - looking at youTube they seem to have been doing a whole load of gigs which I've missed. Definitely going to the next one. Looks like I missed them in London in February. Now they're doing a couple of US dates and then a France/Europe tour skipping UK. Dammit.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  15. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

if you type "jon Spencer" in search window , 3 threads will pop up , incl one i started ;
    I love the Blues Explosion , well their more experimental sides when they go into hip hop or soul &funk territories , not so much of the Stones copycat sound ., great live band .
    Boss Hog , never liked them much , they lack songs but Cristina is hot ( and so is Jon )
    ***** Galore , hit or miss , some nice weirdo stuff and some unlistenable garbage at the same time .
    Spencer did a really great album with the Dickinson bros ( sons of James , the famous producer ) in Memphis , rootsy but tasty

oldturkey, Purple Jim and Fullbug like this.
  16. oldturkey

Thanks - I will have a read through those. I suppose searching for Pu**y doesn't always work.
    I've got to say I tend to like what other people think is weirdo unlistenable garbage! I suppose I like the punk/garage rock stuff the most.
    Are you going to see them Oct/Nov? They seem to be popular there since they're playing nine gigs in France over the year.

17. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Haha, I got hooked via Now I Got Worry, and was quite shocked when I backtracked, and picked up Experimental Remixes. My Dad, who was intrigued by the possibility of a new 'blues' band (he's a huge blues aficionado) was aghast and the whole thing lasted maybe one spin. He got absolutely furious at 'Flavor'.

I've never heard it, but Dial M For Motherfisher is the greatest album title ever.

oldturkey and dlemaudit like this.
  18. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

i am a garage punk fan myself but ***** Galore is closer sometimes to Einsturzende Neubauten , almost industrial stuff so not my cup of tea than let say the Bassholes or Necessary Evils ie oddball and uncoventional take on the garage or blues genre which i love .
    i think the Blues Explosion is really boring when they copy Stones sub boogie rock n roll , safe but uninteresting .
    when they add synth strings , hip hop beat loops and scratching to a great effect or clavinet / vintage keyboards with some more unconventional songwriting on top of it , then i am in .

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  19. oldturkey

I see where you're coming from with the Stones being a bit boring. I actually really like Einsturzende Neubauten. I bought Strategems Against Architecture in 83 or something like that. Kalte Sterne!

20. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I loved JSBX back in the day and we beyond excited when Bellbottoms was used as the opening track for "Baby Driver." I lost interest after "ACME" and he just sort of fell off of my radar. Now I see he's got a new album and I love that there's renewed interest in him. I still have my original vinyl of "Orange" and 2 and 3 of the jukebox series.

21. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

Just scanning discogs and I had no idea that there were 2 different versions of the Experimental Remixes CD:

This EP comes in two versions:
    i) this release with the 17:13 version of the unlisted "Tour Diary" track and
    ii) this Experimental Remixes with the standard 7:03 version of the unlisted "Tour Diary" track.
    There are no indications anywhere on the packaging as to which version your copy will contain.

Now I'll have to dig mine up (if I still have it) and see which one I have.

22. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Not only that, but it was re-released in 2000 with 3 extra tracks. And yet, even though 17 years have passed, I haven't bought this version yet.

Edit: Dang, I also just found out the 2cd reissue of Orange has all these tracks plus more, including the full length Tour Diary. I've been out of the BX loop for far too long.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  23. gohill

gohill Senior Member

JSBX were great up through Acme when they were a wild mash up of loads of different genre styles but it all came out sounding very uniquely them. I think Jack White copped a lot of their schtick when he started up The White Stripes. When they signed to a major they made their 2 least inspired albums Plastic Fang and Damage. Really stripped out the unique groove and fun for a rather dull Stonesy Primal Scream retro rock thing. I was surprised they let that happen but maybe they needed some financial success and thought it was a compromise worth making. As is the usual case in these things, it wasn't a success on any level, and they lost a good chunk of their core fanbase as well as failing to woo the more mainstream indie/college rock guitar fan base and get on the radio. Since then they have gone back to what they do best and made 2 pretty good albums. The Boss Hog records are good too as well as Jon Spencer's other project Heavy Trash who have made a couple of fine albums and are also great live.

24. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Still waiting for 'Drinkin Lying & Lechin' to come out on CD.

And for the 'Maximum Penetration Video' to come out on DVD.

Bill Diercks likes this.
  25. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I'm sorry but anybody telling me what rock should be about, is an immediate turn off to me.

I find Pu**y Galore to be somewhat mediocre, but, lots of people like them, so what do I know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.