Public Image Ltd - 3 new box sets - Metal Box’ and ‘Album’ , 'Songs from the Heart'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunspot, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I diy'ed individual covers for each of the three 12" for my original edition of Metal Box, then I put the records among the others in my record shelf, easier to pick them whenever I want to. Only trouble is to change the turntable belt to 45RPM. I don't do needle drops, never did and don't even know how to do that, sorry.

I also have the 4MWB Second Edition but only listened to it once and just a couple of songs. As long as I remember it sounded OK. Never heard their version of Metal Box.

2. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

3. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Can't say that a "career spanning" box set of these guys would be of much interest to me as I only enjoy 1/3 of that career (but what a 1/3!!). Would love to see that documentary.

jsayers likes this.
  4. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

My hope is for a "complete discography plus extras" set rather than another Plastic Box. Like PB just fine, but it already does the job. No need to render it redundant.

punkmusick and Oyster Boy like this.
  5. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident Thread Starter

It would be great to have the new documentary included. No doubt I'll be putting some cash down on this......but something special or some extras would be nice.

Oyster Boy, Runicen and punkmusick like this.
  6. Oyster Boy

My thoughts are that it will be a 'Plastic Box Plus' which will be key album tracks, singles, maybe live material and extras that are hard to find and will obviously include tracks from their recent albums. Not sure whether I need a complete albums box set as I have the SHMs and am more than Happy(?) with them.

7. punkmusick

Maybe this time a vinyl box. Plastic Box was CD only.

8. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Thanks for the info, I skipped Plastic Box, because I figured it had been compressed. So the 1999 does indeed carry on to 2009 box correct (same mastering)?

9. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

But at least that link advised me of a 40th anniversary tour with ticket presales starting today. So thanks for that. Cardiff Tramshed here I come.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  10. punkmusick

Do you have the tour schedule?

11. punkmusick

I read elsewhere that the 2009 version sounds different.

12. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

From what I read elsewhere, the 2009 Plastic Box uses a different mastering (louder) than the 1999 Plastic Box. See post #358. I'm not sure, however, if the 2009 Metal Box uses a different mastering from the common tracks used on the 2009 Plastic Box.

c-eling and jsayers like this.
  13. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

It was on that link:

UK / European Dates 2018
    Bristol, O2 Academy, England, Wednesday, May 30th 2018
    Tickets (pre-sale Friday, February 23rd 11am / general sale Monday, February 26th 11am)

Bournemouth, O2 Academy, England , Friday, June 1st 2018
    Tickets (pre-sale Friday, February 23rd 11am / general sale Monday, February 26th 11am)

Camden Rocks Festival, London, England, Saturday, June 2nd 2018
    Tickets (On sale now)

Coventry, The Copper Rooms, England, Monday, June 4th 2018

Norwich, The LCR - UEA, England, Wednesday, June 6th 2018

Brussels, Ancienne Belgique, Belgium, Friday, June 8th 2018

Retropop Festival, Emmen, Netherlands, Saturday, June 9th 2018
    Tickets (On sale now)

Den Haag, Paard van Trojoe, Netherlands, Saturday, June 10th 2018

Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, O2 Academy, England, Tuesday, June 12th 2018

Glasgow, O2 ABC, Scotland, Wednesday, June 13th 2018

Sheffield, O2 Academy, England, Friday, June 15th 2018

Manchester, O2 Ritz, England, Saturday, June 16th 2018

Hull, Asylum - Hull University, England, Monday, June 18th 2018

Cardiff, The Tramshed, Wales, Thursday, June 21st 2018

Exeter, Lemon Grove, England, Saturday, June 23rd 2018

Wrexham, William Aston Hall, Wales, Sunday, June 24th 2018

Reading, Sub 89, England, Tuesday, June 26th 2018

Frome, Somerset, Cheese & Grain, England, Wednesday, June 27th 2018

Nottingham, Rock City, England, Friday, June 29th 2018

Southampton, England, Engine Rooms, Saturday, June 30th 2018

Prague, Lucerna, Czech Republic, Friday, July 13th 2018

Jarocin Festival, Jarocin, Poland, July 13-15th 2018 (date TBC)
    Tickets (On sale now)

Rebellion Festival, Blackpool, England, Sunday, August 5th 2018
    Tickets (On sale now)

Hardwick Live Festival, England, Sunday, August 19th 2018
    Tickets (On sale now)

Open House Festival, Bangor, Northern Ireland, Saturday, August 25th 2018
    Tickets (On sale now)

Dublin, The Tivoli, Republic of Ireland, Sunday, August 26th 2018

Inverness, The Ironworks, Scotland, Tuesday, August 28th 2018

Aberdeen, The Assembly, Scotland, Wednesday, August 29th 2018

Dundee, The Church, Scotland, Friday, August 31st 2018

punkmusick likes this.
  14. findog3103

findog3103 Forum Resident

Hi, I have the original metal box. Does anyone know how to care for it? Stop the oxidization? Clean it up a bit? Mines a bit rusty.

15. punkmusick

I keep it rusty and let the times oxidize it any way they want to.

C6H12O6, bad_penny, wwright and 2 others like this.
  16. Oyster Boy

New box set details....
    PiL Official | Press | PUBLIC IMAGE LTD. CELEBRATE THEIR 40TH ANNIVERSARY WITH THE RELEASE OF ‘THE PUBLIC IMAGE IS ROTTEN (SONGS FROM THE HEART)’ BOX SET ON 29TH JUNE 2018 ON UMC THEY WILL ALSO BE TOURING THE UK THIS SUMMER STARTING WEDNESDAY 30TH MAY IN BRISTOL, UK

gomen ne, mestreech and punkmusick like this.
  17. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

18. PaulMcCartneysGhost

PaulMcCartneysGhost Forum Resident

Does your credit card get charged immediately or does it get charged when the order ships in July?

19. Radio-Aktivität

Radio-Aktivität Forum Resident

I've also got the original metal box and although I have thought of giving it a clean have always resisted. I think it looks fine just as it is, although if you do insist on cleaning it I understand you get a nice pristine shine by gently massaging it with a handful of Country Life butter.

Tanx and findog3103 like this.
  20. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Just did the same. Thanks for posting this. The card was listed in my order, so I guess they're still within the first 500.

John Bliss, SteveFff and punkmusick like this.
  21. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Ha ha!

I remembering reading that the band intended the containers to rust. Supposedly they wanted to make it difficult for you to shelve Metal Box with your other LPs, and if you scratched up your other sleeves, so much the better. Even if a myth, it fits the band!

punkmusick likes this.
  22. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Maybe if they'd included 'Commercial Zone' or the Japanese videocassettes, I could justify buying this one. Hard to consider most of this as "rarities" after the box sets they've already put out.

23. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Kinda bummed by the tracks selections, we still don't have the 1987 Renovations versions of Religion and The Suit on CD. 'Flowers of Romance', 'Banging the Door' & 'Tie Me To The Length Of That' from the same sessions aren't there too. The rarities disc looks yummy though. They got Vampire which was on a tape owned by Martin Atkins. Also it looks like they salvaged Annalisa from the 1979 re-recording of First issue for Warner? Cool.

I say CD 1-3 are not essential most fans got all those already.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  24. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

I bought the Metal Box box, but I'll skip this. Wake me when Lydon makes peace with Commercial Zone I'll be in.

Maurice likes this.
  25. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Don't think it will ever happen, but there was an online boot that bumped it to two CDs length with tons of alternate mixes which is awesome. That release was too tainted by the feud with Levene, I don't think there are masters that can be exploited just cassette tapes.

punkmusick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.