Public Service Broadcasting...The Race For Space

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Former Scientist, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels.... Thread Starter

PSB has a new album out this week, themed on the space race. This is the first single, Gagarin:

PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCASTING - GAGARIN:

PSB are a band who create songs out of audio clips from public service films, feature films and news broadcasts, often turning a tasty piece of music into a little history lesson. This single was about the designing of the WW2 British fighter, the Spitfire:

PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCASTING - Spitfire: http://youtu.be/_u4Md_aXVJE

Anyone else rate this kind of music?

LivingForever and kendo like this.
  2. glamorbowie1

glamorbowie1 Forum Resident

Now on my 2nd black vinyl copy. Very bad pressing - non fill everywhere, pops and lots of crackle. Anyone else had problems with this?

I have emailed the bands website to ask where these were pressed etc

3. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Can't believe your initial post didn't get any replies...

Great band, seen them live several times and now really enjoying this new album - it's like a little concept piece about the history of space exploration, told through music and sound bites.

Former Scientist likes this.
  4. glamorbowie1

Now on my 2nd black vinyl copy. Very bad pressing - non fill everywhere, pops and lots of crackle. Looked like powder on the record. Gave it a really good clean but still sounds terrible. The pressing needs to be good for this type of music as there are lots of quiet passages. Anyone else had problems with this?
    I have emailed the bands website to ask where these were pressed etc

5. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

My first reaction upon seeing the Spitfire video was: What the heck? - That's Ashley Wilkes! (from Gone with the Wind)

Former Scientist likes this.
  6. iainoco

iainoco Forum Resident

Great 2nd album, love it :edthumbs:

7. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

8. Former Scientist

I got the clear vinyl pressing, and I have to say its not the best, pops and crackles in abundance on side one...I can just about live with it though.....still, a shame, as I know I can't replace the clear vinyl edition....

9. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I really like this album from the streams I've heard. I want the vinyl, but I guess it's not worth the price... That's a shame.

10. glamorbowie1

I did get a reply from the band saying I was the only one to complain about the quality of the pressing. The guy said that he had a test pressing of the second press (black vinyl) and that he was more than happy with it. I did reply back and give him further info on the issues. All the copies have the same problem. Looking at the waves in izotope you can see a haze all the way through the right side that causes a swooshing and spitting crunchy noise (not good with descriptions:) ) it really is a shame as there are some very quiet passages on the album. I can live with a few pops etc. The album is recorded lovely and if you can live with the noise then you will be rewarded with a fantastic sounding album. The CD is not bad but it really doesn't have the depth and dynamic that the vinyl has. I'm going to live with it because its such a great album.

Worst new pressing I have ever encountered. Why can't new vinyl be pressed correctly outside of using optimal pressing plants etc?

11. Serenity Now

Serenity Now Forum Resident

I was going to get this on vinyl but now having second thoughts. Has anyone got a good pressing? Also is the download code that comes with the vinyl for FLAC ot just MP3?

12. glamorbowie1

13. Former Scientist

Funny thing is, I got the first press War Room EP and it was a flawless pressing. Hey ho, the perils and pleasures of vinyl...

14. glamorbowie1

5th copy is much better. Still quite a bit of surface noise but I can live with that. At least this copy doesn't pop and crackle all the way through. Got this copy from amazon.co.uk

15. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

What this thread needs is more Go!

This is great as it is, but that guitar part between 1:52-2:03 and again at 3:14-3:36 just totally blows this track into the stratosphere.

(Gorts, could this be combined with the other 'Race for Space' thread?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.