Pugwash - new U.S. compilation - first U.S. tour (classic pop fans take note)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Dow, Sep 24, 2014.

1. What Thomas no dates on San Francisco?

2. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

From their Facebook page:

We'd so love to go everywhere guys and gals. Any last minute offers will be considered but it was so tough just putting this list together. Your beautiful country is vast and demanding. We had to try and make things viable which sadly meant we had to miss out some curve ball places geographically. We love you all for caring. xx

3. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music Thread Starter

Nice. Very glad to hear that! Hopefully, we'll see their previous albums reissued at some point. Not sure how far you are from NYC but they're playing The Delancey on Wednesday.

4. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I'm a short train ride from NYC. I'm trying to see if I can make it.

This is truly wonderful music. I would hate to see them go the Big Star route and get a following AFTER they are gone. Hopefully Omnivore can do for Pugwash what they did for Big Star and Jellyfish. Let's get this music out there Omnivore!!

Rhett and Mike Dow like this.
  5. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Whatever happened to Thomas from Pugwash? He was a member here, hope nobody ran him off......

6. Mike Dow

Tonight, he's in Connecticut probably having the time of his life! :)

Bull Moose and jsayers like this.
  7. Why would he be doing that, when he could be posting here?

jsayers likes this.
  8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Cool. I got a copy of that limited edition cd repress of "Almond Tea" from him this spring and I really liked it!

Mike Dow likes this.
  9. Bull Moose

Bull Moose Well-Known Member

So, who is going to be at either of their Maine shows this week? I'll be at both, so come say hi, especially if we haven't met yet.

10. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

You know I'll be there Chris! Definitely going to the Empire gig, but not sure if I'll make it to the instore. I have to work out of town that day, and I'm may not get back in time to catch it, but will if I can manage it.

Bull Moose likes this.
  11. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I'm joining the chorus, love the new compilation. I'll have to investigate their other releases.

Mike Dow likes this.
  12. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I attended the Massachusetts show last night. Loved it! I hadn't been to TT The Bear's for years and I had forgotten how poor the sound is in there. Pugwash was a little too loud for the small room and small number of people there - I think it would have sounded better to me if I had worn earplugs. Still the playing and singing was so sharp and tight that the songs came across in spite of the sound.

I'm not very familiar with the songs, but I noticed something interesting. The (third - I got there too late to catch the first two) opening band was a kind of jam band/Americana/hoedown thing. They were pretty good players and they got people two-stepping and faux-square-dancing around the floor, but heck if I could remember even one of their actual songs after it was all over. Every one of Pugwash's songs lodged in my brain and I still remember them today.

They did a few off-the-cuff covers - Free's "All Right Now", Badfinger's "No Matter What", the James Bond Theme. They stuck to the same instruments all evening (Les Paul, Telecaster, Rickenbacker bass.) I was hoping for some electric 12-string jangle, but, as they said, they were travelling light. I'm thinking their amps were borrowed or rented. They played to backing tracks on some of the songs so we heard some of the color instruments like mellotron and banjo from the records. I think the background vocals were all live though, and man, can those boys harmonize!

I had planned to buy the recent compilation CD from amazon.com, but I decided to wait and see if they had a merch table with the album for sale. They did! I like the idea of my cash going directly to the band. They also has a few of their other album on CD and vinyl, but I only had money enough for one.

I'm really glad I read about them here and that I had the opportunity to see them live. It was a great night out.

Mike Dow likes this.
  13. Mike Dow

I'll see you at Empire tomorrow night! I wish I could be at Bull Moose for the in-store performance on Friday but I have a commitment here. We'll also be watching them on "The Pat Callaghan Show" tomorrow night on WCSH TV 6.

Mr. Bob Dobalena and Bull Moose like this.
  14. Mike Dow

I'm glad that you were able to be there. I've dreamed of seeing them live since "Earworm" and envisioned traveling to Ireland to do it. It's so great to have them here for the first time. It's a mind-blower that they'll be in Maine.

15. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

How much were they selling the vinyl for? Need to know what sort of $$ to bring with me for the Merch.

16. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

They had an EP that I think was $10, and an LP that I think was $20.

17. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Thanks!

18. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this---an outstanding band. Very happy to see multiple L.A. dates.

Mike Dow likes this.
  19. Bull Moose

Mr. Bob Dobalena and Mike Dow like this.
  20. Bull Moose

They had tons of merch, CDs, vinyl, and t-shirts last night. Those of you who are contemplating seeing them really should, and probably more than once if you can.

They seem to be playing different covers every night, almost at random. Last night they did (Just Like) Starting Over, Baby You're a Rich Man, Making Plans for Nigel, I Can See The Grass Grow, Substitute (even though Thomas started to play Pinball Wizard), I Must Be In Love (yes, The Rutles), and one or two more. Mike Dow or Rocketdog probably remember what they were.

Mr. Bob Dobalena likes this.
  21. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Thomas, I know you're busy. Much luck with the tour. Any chance of getting Almond Tea and a few other titles reissued? I found Jollity for a decent price( $26 new) However some of the other titles are a little pricey. Love your stuff, I would love it more if I could afford it.

22. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

Strictly speaking, this newly released comp contains rareties. Most of the band's catalog is OOP so this is an opportunity to grab at least some of the older material from their back catalog. I say go for it.

23. drowningdeep

drowningdeep Dude

I have Jollity, Giddy, Eleven Modern Antiquities and Olympus Sound on cd already.

24. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

Well done. But have you seen what Almanac goes for these days?

25. Mike Dow

At their shows, they are selling "Almond Tea", "Almanac", "The Olympus Sound" (on CD and vinyl) the "Hear We Go 'Round Again" EP and "A Rose In A Garden of Weeds."

melstapler likes this.