Pulled out my vintage Sansui CDX 711 CD player tonight

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GuildX700, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Man I forgot how good this thing sounds! Spinning some early CD's from the late 1980's on it.
    Top of the line for the day 1989, IIRC MSRP was $1200.

Sansui CD-X 711
    Specifications:
    Scanners: 3-beam semiconductor laser
    Decoding (D/A): 16 bit linear
    Frequency response: DC to 20 kHz, +/- 0.3 dB
    Total harmonic distortion: less than 0003% (1 kHz)
    Noise ratio (S/N): better than 103 dB
    Dynamic range: better than 98 dB
    Not my pics :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    Shak Cohen and Tim 2 like this.
  2. GuildX700

Out of curiosity I just put it on a scale, comes in at a whopping 21.5 pounds! My modern Pioneer Elite multi player only weighs 4 pounds for a comparison of build quality. Power supply is in the weight folks.(and the sound quality) . IMO this kills the Elite for CD playback.

Got the Sansui NOS in 1991 for a measly $285 on closeout from American TV/Audio, probably Sansui's last great player. Sadly American have closed all stores this year in my area. They used to have such a nice low/mid high end room with speakers, tons of Adcom stuff, really nice selection for the budget minded guy.

I also got a Sansui AUX 911 DG Integrated amp at the same time for pennies on the dollar. Unfortunately that died several years ago. Nice amp.

3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Wonder if it's Sony-based or Philips-based; the old Philips stuff still sounds surprisingly musical.

GuildX700 likes this.
  4. GuildX700

I'm not sure what to look for in the Sony/Phillips build, but regardless the build quality is very robust all things considered. And still working after all these years. All I had to do was put a new belt on the drawer a few years ago

5. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Nice.

GuildX700 likes this.
  6. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I just noticed the balanced outputs! Very nice ...

MLutthans and GuildX700 like this.
  7. GuildX700

I used the balanced outputs with it's companion Sansui integrated amp from the same era/line.

It has amazing build and sound, I did a shootout several months ago against a brand new Onkyo C7030 which has new Wolfson 192/24 DACs and the old Sansui easily sounded better. It is right up there with the highly rated Pioneer Elite PD 91 of the same era, which I also own.

Found this in an old magazine:

[​IMG]

8. GuildX700

I see by your profile you like Sansui, I have the old Sansui PM-C100II speakers and I resurrected my Sansui AUX 911 DG integrated amp recently.

9. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

After looking at the plain plastic front panel it's kind of a shocker to see the well built and designed internals.
    Back in the day ( maybe late seventies ) I had one of Sansui's giant receivers. Anyone remember the model numbers of those hulks ? Several hundred watts, around 100 pounds ( Something like G33000 ? )

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  10. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

The G33000 was insane. No idea what that would go for now. Probably up the with Pioneer's SX1980.

11. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

i too am a proud owner of the ELITE PD-91. it's only real flaw, -an iffy tolerance for CD-R- was easily corrected with some light adjustment of FOCUS and TRACKING GAIN.

my copy will now spin up virtually anything, including DATA discs, (CD-ROM, video game discs, etc.) of course, audio output with those sorts of discs will be nothing more than digital hash.

in any case, the PD-91 is most recommended as an outstandingly beautiful sounding (and looking) CD player;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LASER PICKUP ASSY. no. PWY1004

[​IMG]

12. GuildX700

It's not plain plastic on the front panel, it's steel with black lacquer.

Yup, G33000 had a huge power supply hanging off the back end of the receiver.
    [​IMG]

Tim 2 likes this.
  13. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

AU-X 911 DG - VERY NICE too!! How do you like your amp? :)

I'm have the AU-X901 'Vintage'. It's nice.

14. GuildX700

It's got more than enough power and sounds almost as good as my monster Pioneer Elite A-91D.

15. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Yup, thats it, to bad it didn't sound as good as it looked. Thanks for the memory.

16. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Nice amp!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.