Purchase Advice for VG++ Graded Record

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by joehiggi, Mar 12, 2018.

1. joehiggi

joehiggi New Member Thread Starter

I recently purchased a VG++ copy of a Bill Evans record in a very pricey auction on eBay. I would generally agree with the sellers grade (visually) but there is a hairline scratch through through the first track on side 1 of the record and produces a noticeable tick through the entire track.

The tick surprisingly overpowers the music, despite the fact you can't really feel it with a fingernail and is barely visible.

After the first track, the record probably plays EX to NM with an occasional pop or very light hairline that can be heard for a couple revolutions (much lighter than in track 1).

My question is, should a VG++ graded record be expected to play perfectly? Also, if track 1 is plays a VG- but the rest of the record is EX to NM, how should the record be graded?

Any thoughts are appreciated; I have not gone back to the seller yet.
  2. bayen

bayen Forum Resident

philadelphia Pa
    If the seller accepts returns, I would return for a refund. I very rarely bid on anything lower than NM vinyl but do occasionally take a chance on lesser grades. Personally, I'm willing to accept some surface noise and random light pops/ticks from a VG++ LP but can't accept repeated tick through an entire track. I've been collecting for a long time and have been on eBay for close to twenty years....I know if I miss out on an auction or need to return an item I will see it again and have another opportunity to purchase. Good luck!
  3. ggergm

ggergm Forum Resident

With that audible scratch, I'd rate the record VG+ or even VG. I know of no rating of VG-. For me, and Goldmine, grading goes from VG to G with nothing in-between.

I'd return it.

As for your question of how you grade the record when only one cut is bad, I think you have to give it two grades, just the way you have.
  4. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 Yellow brick, black on black

San Francisco
    This is tricky but I'd say if the rest of the record is super nice then I would call it vg+
    Imo it cannot be vg++ w a repeating tick throughout a song.
    If it's worth keeping you can see if it was an oversight and he could do a rebate. such a shame when this happens.
    Bill Evans originals are the trickiest because the music is so quiet you hear it all.