PureAudioProject Trio15 Voxativ

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tiller, Aug 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiller

tiller Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all,

These don't seem to generate much interest online from what I can tell. I think I've read every review and every forum post on the internet with these loudspeakers mentioned.

Just wondering if there's anyone here at SH running the Trio15s? Would be very curious to hear your thoughts if so. I've only heard them in a show setting and was blown away, but I wonder how they are on more varied program material.

Thanks!

2. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I think I posted about these here on the SHF forums once before and barely got any comments on them.

There's more posts on these over on Audio Circle in the open baffle forums and they are pretty positive. They seem to be competing with Spatial and their offerings in the same price range (which I don't understand why as I think the Pure Audio designs are better, use better components, drivers, etc.) but it is a recurring theme throughout a lot of posts over there.

3. tiller

Hey! I wasn't kidding when I said I've pretty much read every single english language page on the Internet that has mentioned them, haha. I've read all the Audio Circle posts. Much slower forum than this one.

Have you much experience with them at all? I see you're running Omegas so I guess you're familiar with this type of speaker... Would be curious to hear your thoughts! Cheers

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  4. tiller

Resale is definitely a concern of mine with these as they seem to have a very small niche market.

5. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

You could give Pat Hickman at Classic Tube Audio a call or shoot him an email. I know he pairs his Whammerdyne Truth 2a3 Amplifiers with Pure Audio Project speakers at the California Audio Show.

6. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Single driver experience with the Omega's and others yes, but have only heard the Pure Audio Voxativ through YouTube. There is a guy on the Decware forums called SonicSeeker that has (or had a set at one time) with the Tang Band drivers. I'm sure you read Doug Schroeder's Dagogo review of the Pure Audio Projects (he has 1 review with the TB drivers and 1 review with the Voxativ posted over there)? He was pretty smitten with them to say the least.

7. tiller

Yeah I've read his reviews. TNT also have a couple useful reviews on them as well. I've heard the Trio15 Voxativs here at the Montreal Audio Fest this past spring, but it's so hard to meaningfully judge a speaker in that setting-- lots of people around, little control over program material etc. Ze'ev seemed to be a very nice fellow based on the short chat we had. I was definitely impressed with what I heard (and the room was one of busiest).

I guess my main concerns are low end, and distortion. My current speakers have really spoiled me with their low end that seems both simultaneously huge and well controlled (room problems aside). I worry I will miss that big, tangible bass at reasonable volumes. I'm also skeptical of how a single driver can maintain it's composure with complex program material at somewhat high volume. I definitely cannot tolerate distortion (e.g., compression, loss of detail).

Hard to know what to do when you can't demo these things!!

8. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I have a good customer that runs a pair. He's got them matched up with a Line Magnetic 508ia integrated.

beowulf likes this.
  9. tiller

Has he offered up any opinions on them?

10. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I've heard them a few times.... the customer loves them.

11. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I also heard these at a show and was very impressed. As an existing user of Open Baffle speakers I was inspired to make something very similar myself as I could not justify the expenditure. See here: Open Baffle Speakers (again!)

Apologies that my observations are rather off-topic as my own variants naturally use different drivers and a different 3-4-way configuration. The four 15" drivers produce very impressive, fast bass but in line with the OPs concerns, this is ultimately not quite deep enough. However, time & phase aligned with subs, bass is certainly huge and well controlled - it also measures almost flat to 10hz in-room.

On that basis, the Trio15s may also benefit from similar treatment although the M&K and B&W subs I use were originally chosen for the bass transients they produce (which matches the speed of OB speakers rather well).

beowulf likes this.
  12. tiller

Wow, nice job on those speakers. Hats off!

My current loudspeakers have a published -3dB point of 28Hz which I feel like is pretty honest. The Trios measure to 32Hz. Obviously there's more to it than specs, but I do wonder if the sound will be as close at the numbers... I am not interested in a subwoofer to be completely honest.

13. Radiohead99

Radiohead99 Forum Resident

The bass of PAP Voxativ is very beautiful. It's so clean and there's no smearing. I listen to rock music a lot and they do a stellar job.

14. Radiohead99

I'm in Astoria, NYC. If anyone wants to listen, let me know!

beowulf likes this.
  15. tiller

Thanks for your input! Do you listen very loud? How big is your room? What other speakers are you familiar with?

Cheers!

16. Radiohead99

My room is smallish. 11.5'Wx15'Lx9'H. I believe in a bigger room, it'd be even more impressive. I sometimes listen very loud during the day time on a weekends. I've a pair of Daedalus Athena V.2. Previously I've used Daedalus Ulysses, active speakers such as PMC AML-1/NHT XD, also Josesph Audio Pulsar. Quite familiar with Magico S3.

Given I currently own both Daedalus and Trio15 Voxativ, I've a good idea between their differences. Trio15 Voxativ is more intimate/detailed than Daedalus. However, Daedalus has better microdynamics where Trio15 has better macrodynamics. Trio15 V throws a HUGE soundstage. For low level listening, Daedalus offers slightly more tuneful bass, due to its better microdynamics. When it comes to rock/electronic music, it's a toss up between Daedalus and Trio15 V; mostly a matter of preference. However, for vocal/acoustic/jazz Trio15 V is simply breathtaking.. But they can rock, really rock!

beowulf likes this.
  17. tiller

I appreciate your input! The soundstage is what initially drew me to planars and OB speakers; definitely a selling point for me. I tried out Magnepan 3.7i at the shop and while they did the detail and soundstage thing really well they were completely lacking in bottom end punch. I don't think I'd give up my Energys for those. If the Trios could do the soundstage and detail of the Maggies, but with more impactful bass I think I could find myself really enjoying them.

18. Radiohead99

I honestly can't imagine anyone using Trio15 V and not happy with the bass. It easily goes down to late 20s (spec says 29Hz) and has the grunt/heft.

19. tiller

Cheers, I was definitely pleased with the bass response from them when I heard them at Montreal Audio Fest. Ze'ev had them cranked up pretty loud though. Thanks for your input!

20. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Imaging on a good single driver design is (most always anyways IME) some of the best you will ever hear. Their strong points are imaging, detail and coherency ... and I have never had any issues with my Omega's with complex music in fact I think they excel in that area when driven to what I call "sane" volumes :laugh:.

Their weaknesses are that they don't have deep bass (which is why bass augmentation is necessary IMO). I live in a townhome and it is really rare that I go past listening levels that I feel would annoy my neighbors, but they can go loud enough for me and my listening preferences. That said, IMO when pushed to extreme volumes they do show their weaknesses and will tend to distort. If you are a rave type volume listener and like to crank it to 11 all the time ~ then single/wideband drivers are not for you, but if most of your listening levels are low to moderately loud (just not to extremes) they can excel at pretty much any music you throw at them.

Edit: I should say that this is my experience with the Omega and other single drivers that I have heard. I cannot give an opinion on the Voxativ as I have not had the pleasure to hear them in person, but I know their build quality is pretty insane and they may be able to handle higher volumes better.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  21. tiller

The bulk of my listening is definitely moderate volume. Usually levels where it takes only very slightly extra effort to have a conversation. But I do occasionally like to crank it up a bit. I wish I had an SPL meter to measure. Hard to talk qualitatively about SPL.

I'm going to try and give these a listen if I can.

Drewan77 and beowulf like this.
  22. tiller

Hey sorry to bother you but I had another quick question: are you running the Alpha or Neo versions of the Eminence drivers?

23. Radiohead99

The neo drivers. The Trio15 can go really loud without any distortion (to the point my ears can take it).

24. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

I was curious in reading this thread what these speakers looked like. Very interesting!

[​IMG]

25. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

incredible value when you look at the quality of the drivers used. Really interested to know how they compare to well known design in that price range

Doctorcilantro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.