Purple's modern new wave + indie thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple

Purple Forum Resident Thread Starter

In response to "modern rock is dead" threads here at SHF I thought I'd create a thread dedicated to modern indie rock, which admittedly captures a lot of different types of acts - new wave, post punk revival, indie rock, indietronica, synthpop, pop punk and lesser known pop rock and power pop. A lot of this might also appeal to fans of 70's and 80's poprock.

I'll share some of my favorites over time. If you'd like to contribute perhaps restrict your contributions to songs released since 2010.

Tonight Alive - Temple

This Australian (formerly emo) rock act released it's new album last month Underworld (January, 2018). The album is a change of pace from their last record, which was more of a pure pop album, towards more of a pop + metalcore vibe that perhaps a band like PVRIS has been pioneering. [In fact, lead vocalist from PVRIS is even featured on the album]. The debut single is called "Temple."

2. Purple

Walk the Moon - Press Restart

Out of Ohio, Walk the Moon is probably the world's premiere new wave act, having forever left a mark on pop music with their hit "Shut Up and Dance," which hit #4 on the dance and rap heavy Hot 100. Their latest album What If Nothing was released in November (2017), showcasing the band stretching out a bit. The lead single "One Foot" climbed to a respectable #65. Here is the dynamic lead cut from the album - "Press Restart."

zphage likes this.
  3. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

4. Purple

The Naked And Famous - Laid Low

Indie act out of New Zealand, initially came out in 2010 or so with a bit more of a post punk vibe. The band first made their mark with the hit "Young Blood," which reached #1 in their home country, and their last couple efforts have furthered that "indietronica" sound. Their new album Simple Forms (2016) came out last year, with "Laid Low" as its second single.

zphage likes this.
  5. Purple

The Killers - Wonderful Wonderful

What is interesting about the Killers is that they wear their influences on their sleeve but, grinded out and amplified with such great creativity, don't sound derivative at all. Their latest dropped in September (2017). While their lead single- the new wavy "The Man" - made some waves on the rock charts, the title track leading off the album is quite striking. The opening isolated bass line - and really, the sombre vibe throughout - harkens back to "Bullet the Blue Sky."

dmiller458 and Mike Boone like this.
  6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

7. Purple

The Amazons - Black Magic

The debut, self-titled album from this punkish, garagey rock group out of the UK came out last year (May 2017). They have some good charisma, as well some memorable licks and lyrics. It will be interesting where they go next with their indie sound. The lead single from the album was "Black Magic."

zphage likes this.
  8. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The Rolling Blackouts C.F. from Australia. This is the first of 2 eps they released last year, they have a new single out and an album coming this year. One of the best new bands I've heard in ages. Can't wait to see them in May.

aseriesofsneaks, JL6161 and Purple like this.
  9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

At the moment I really like Indochine's 2017 album "13". They're an old band, formed in Paris in 1981 (and huuuuuge in France!!!) and they always sang in French but this album is really fantastic. It's pure pop with a strong 80's aesthetic, probably not a single new idea but it has a lot of passion:

10. Purple

The Sounds - Turn to Gold

This band out of Sweden has been around since the hey day of new wave revival back in the mid 2000's. The band released an EP in 2017 The Tales That We Tell. You can hear the band experimenting with some new and different sounds on the cut "Turn to Gold."

Curveboy likes this.
  11. Purple

PVRIS - Half

Pronounced "Paris," this indie band out of the US sounds like a cross of the pop band CHVRCHES and some metal core elements (in fact, the band started out as a hardcore punk act). Their sophomore album All We Know of Heaven, All We Need of Hell came out in late 2017. The song "Half" has received some promotional exposure here in the US.

zphage likes this.
  12. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I hear a little bit of the Cure in there as well (Wish era).

Purple likes this.
  13. Mike Boone

Mike Boone Forum Resident

Terri Terri - Terri Terri

Sefl-titled debut sounds promising.

Purple likes this.
  14. Purple

CHVRCHES - Get Out

A synthpop act out of Glasgow, CHVRCHES are distinct for their more introspective lyrics and big choruses. "Get Out" is the lead single released a few week ago off their forthcoming album Love Is Dead. It tells you the state of modern radio here in the US that none of their songs have even tasted the hot 100.

15. Mike Boone

Hi Purple, Let me know if this kind of post messes up the vibe of this thread.

Amen Dunes - Miki Dora

Amen Dunes (Damon McMahon) just released his fifth album, Freedom. It's getting a lot of attention as did his last album which was hailed by the Indie critics. I haven't listened to the whole album yet but I love this track. If you have some time look up Miki Dora, what a fantastic character he was.

Amen Dunes - Miki Dora (Official Music Video)

Purple likes this.
  16. Mike Boone

Pipe-eye - People Move Along

King Gizzard band member, Cook Craig's (Cookie) side project called Pipe-eye.

Purple likes this.
  17. Purple

Against the Current - Wasteland

This trio out of New York is definitely pop with a bit of an indie or punkish vibe - a mix of what PVRIS and CHVRCHES have been doing lately. Their debut album In Our Bones came out in 2016 and made a mark on the UK top40 album charts. Not the most eclectic addition to this list but is nevertheless a semi-new wave act making waves these days. "Wasteland" was their third single.

Mike Boone likes this.
  18. Mike Boone

Soccer Mommy - Your Dog

Soccer Mommy's (Sophie Alison) "Your Dog" from her third full-length album Clean which was just released. My favorite so far this week.

19. Mike Boone

Nice sound production and video. Also, a great song.

20. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

I remember "The Mother We Share" got a good bit of airplay (reaching #12 on the Alternative chart in 2014). A stand out track as well.

Tokyo Ghost and Purple like this.
  21. falconerone

falconerone Forum Resident

Wow, I did not like one song listed above. Everything sounded bland and run through the production machine one too many times with lyrics and singing by humans with little imagination or an unoriginal narrative. Sorry.
    Here's a current one that I like... fire away.

Purple likes this.
  22. Mike Boone

Hahahaha!

23. Mike Boone

Terry - Chitter Chatter

Aussie band Terry from Terry HQ came out last year.

Summerisle likes this.
  24. Purple

The Chain Gang of 1974 - Forget

This band (really one guy) out of Hawaii is a new wave slash indietronica act that, at least on their newest album Felt (2017), is somewhat similar to groups like T/N/A/F. As it happens Thom Powers of T/N/A/F co-wrote most of the songs and produced it. On what I think is the album's second single, Alisa Xayalith, also from T/N/A/F, sings on a duet called "Forget."

Mechanical Man likes this.
  25. Purple

The Strokes - Tap Out

Somewhat of an older cut from The Strokes' latest album Comeback Machine (2013). The Strokes, of course, were mainstays in the early new wave revival in the 2000s. More recently, while on a semi-hiatus, some of the band members - Albert Hammond Jr. and Julian Casablancas (under the band moniker Voidz) - have released separate solo albums. A new album with Rick Rubin is apparently in the works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.