PVC outer sleeves and "Blakes" sleeves

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pledwood, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pledwood

Pledwood New Member Thread Starter

I've recently had the problem with PVC sleeves contaminating a number of my records. I have immediately ditched the PVC sleeves and am currently replacing with Blake sleeves.
    Having read a lot off the posts on various forums with regards PVC sleeves and contamination, I'm curious as to whether or not the so called "Blakes" contain traces of PVC and if so can, over a period of time, they cause similar problems?
    Also I store my singles in Really Useful boxes - again can they over a period of time cause problems as the records are sealed in for a long period of time?
    Sorry if this is repeating previous posts!

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

How are outer sleeves contaminating your records? I could possibly see PVC outer sleeves damaging the jacket. Or, PVC inner sleeves damaging the record. But I fail to see how an outer sleeve will damage a record. Records are made of PVC. They are similar materials. So I can see a possibility of the inner sleeve under the right conditions sticking and leaving a residue. PVC outer sleeves can get soft and might get sticky and possibly ruin a jacket. I use mostly polyethyline and a few polypropyline outer sleeves and HDPE inners. But I don't see where contamination from two items of the same material that have barriers between them comes into play.

black sheriff likes this.
  3. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Blake’s Sleeves are great and contain nothing harmful. I ditched all my PVC sleeves a couple of years back. In hindsight, they looked like **** too. Blake’s make all covers look good, even trashed ones, and are far thinner.

Fifth-Chord likes this.
  4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Supposedly certain types of sleeves "gas" out and the fumes go straight through outer jackets and attract onto the vinyl surface making it next to unlistenable. The topic should really be researched more since its unclear what causes this. But Im pretty sure it has to do with fluctuating environmental conditions such as temperature.

tin ears likes this.
  5. Leonthepro

You should be fine. There are more options than Blake sleeves as well. Just ask the seller about the phenomena and if the sleeves you buy are prone to those problems. My local shop knew exactly what I meant and assured me that such problems dont happen to the ones I buy from him. Good thing too as I have to want to buy outer sleeves online.

6. tnic73

tnic73 Well-Known Member

Blake sleeves are awesome, they make your records look like candy.

7. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

I love the Blake sleeves.

8. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

What are Blake sleeves??
    :hide:

9. tnic73

tnic73 Well-Known Member

Blake sleeves are crystal clear outer sleeves that not only protect the jacket but make it look shinny and new. It might seem trivial until you try them, highly recommended.

Minty_fresh and Kubricker like this.
  10. Leonthepro

They are quite thin and resealable though.

11. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

Blake was a member of the YouTube Vinyl Community. He used to post videos and talk all things vinyl. He was the one who commissioned these sleeves to made to this specification. Unfortunately he doesn't make videos anymore.

DrZhivago and Kubricker like this.
  12. setonfire

setonfire Active Member

Does anyone know any european online store from where I can buy blake-like sleeves without the flap but by piece, not in a bulk? For single 12", gatefold and 10"

Leonthepro likes this.
  13. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

You want to see outer PVC sleeves damage a record inside it's jacket as you think it impossible?
    File them tight then move to Australia & you will be amazed at what happens!

14. Leonthepro

Is there any way to identify what material your sleeves are?

15. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Well, if you’re worried about PVC, it’s very thick plastic with a nice smell.

16. Leonthepro

Thickness doesnt identify types of plastic.

17. tnic73

tnic73 Well-Known Member

Minty_fresh likes this.
  18. Graham

Graham Senior Member

When it comes to LP sleeves, PVC is far thicker than others.

19. Leonthepro

You can buy 5 mil sleeves that arnt PVC Im sure, and you could surely make a thin layer of PVC.

20. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I’m just relaying how to spot PVC sleeves. In my 30 years of buying LPs, they are thick. Sure, I guess they could be thinner, but they aren’t. Best way to be sure is to buy from a retailer that details exactly what the plastic is.

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I use Really Useful Boxes and HDPE outers from Sleeve City. Never used Clear Bags. No problems with storage.

22. setonfire

setonfire Active Member

Anyone ? :help:

Leonthepro likes this.
  23. Dozey

Dozey Active Member

BagsXL in Holland sell Blakes sleeves, but I think the smallest order is 25.

24. setonfire

setonfire Active Member

100 only, those without the flap -.-

25. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Regarding the Blake sleeves (which I am considering the purchase of):

Given the fact that you are required to open the Blake sleeve in order to pull out the LP and then remove the record itself, doesn't all this tugging and handling the LP cover rather defeat the object of putting LPs in outer sleeves in the first place?

bever70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.