Q for Bob Olhsson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indy mike, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Hey Bob, thanks for joining up - we all appreciate getting the inside poop on the Motown scene from the stereo single thread! I'd like to know what some of the big hits were that you might have had a hand in when you were engineering at Motown. I'm partial to the grittier sounding stuff like Jr. Walker was getting compared to the more pop oriented tunes...

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Correct me if i'm wrong, but most of Jr Walker's stuff was cut live. He may have been one of the exceptions to heavy production at Motown.

3. indy mike

Hmmm, that might explain why I like it better than stuff like the Supremes (well, I don't care much for Ms. Ross' wispy kinda voice, either - gimme Martha Reeves beltin' things out any day!!!)

4. Grant

And I prefer the Supremes stuff because I like production.

5. indy mike

Say, I'm a stereo lovin' guy - except for those really sterile remixes that pop up and don't match the sound of the original mixes - are there any stereo mixes that you like better than its mono counterpart concerning the Motown stuff??? I have that Dick Bartley Girl Group set and the remixes are all lacking cajones (hmmmm, maybe that's the wrong thing to reference) - Heatwave has no bass at all, and it sounds too-scraped clean.

6. Grant

Indy Mike, I know it's your thread, you asked the question, so I won't feel like i'm hijacking your thread.:)

Stereo Motown that I prefer over the mono counterpart?

Come See About Me-Supremes
    You Keep Me Hanging On-Supremes
    The Love You Save-The Jackson 5
    Stop In The Name Of Love-Supremes
    Reflections-Diana Ross & The Supremes
    Love Is Here, And Now You're Gone-The Supremes
    Going To A Go-Go-The Miracles
    You're My Everything-The Temptations
    It's You That I Need-The Temptations

Notice that almost every one of them are Supremes tracks. I guess that extra time/effort was lavished on their songs or were stereo foldovers. I suspect that the Jackson 5 mono mix was just a foldover of the stereo mix.

Sorry, I like mono mixes! Understand that when I listen for something, the stereo spread is the last thing on my priority list. I'm listening for overall impact and balance.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Grant,
    What is it that you like about the stereo "Going to a Go-Go"? I can't remember the differences too much off of the top of my head and have to admit that I usually skip over the "singles" on that album when I listen to it (probably becase I don't like the muddy distorted stereo "Tracks of My Tears" that kicks it off, to be honest), so I may not have given the title track a chance.

One Motown stereo re-mix that I am almost embarassed to admit I enjoy is the somewhat gratuitous recent 5.1 mix of Marvin Gaye's "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" from the DTS CD, not so much for the way the tambourine flosses your ears during the intro, but I like the clarity of the bass guitar in the mix. Of course, the bass is well defined on the mono single, it's only in the original stereo where it gets a bit lost in the mix.

Regards,

8. indy mike

No apologies needed - enjoy what you like best! I like the thrill of hearing a newly found master or multitrack carefully mixed into two channel fun, and when Steve is piloting the mix it's even better (and Steve, I think you're underrating your stereo archaeology when it comes to remixes - there's room in the world for all kindsa stuff, so don't be shy about giving an unearthed mutitrack tape new life via stereo...) I really like the Bang label remixes like Hang on Sloopy and I Want Candy - loud, thumpy mixes with lotsa wham like the singles!

9. Grant

Well, I guess you are album oriented instead of singles oriented too.

I like the stereo mix for the clarity of the guitars.

10. Grant

Well, Steve does not generally believe in remixing. No matter what you do, you're changing history.

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Not entirely -- the album is the only source I am aware of (addendum: or more to the point: have access to) for the stereo version you were talking about. I have the mono version on several different compilations on CD, but not the 45.
    Fair enough, I'll give it a spin this evening and hear what I've been missing. :)

Regards,

12. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Stereo Singles

Friends,

I am just finishing up my research for the Definitive Stereo Singles Part 2 (1963--1969) thread. There will be a number of Motown singles on my list, although it will be reasonably short.

Bob

13. indy mike

Hey Bob - are there any stereo Motown mixes you've heard that you enjoy or had a hand in? I'm partial to stereo mixes, and am always on the lookout for good sounding 2 channel tunes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.