Q for obsessive Beatles collectors and trivia buffs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Cellar, Oct 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Re: Re: Re: Q for obsessive Beatles collectors and trivia buffs

Very strange indeed. Listening as hard as I can through headphones, even though I *know* it's not completely mono, I can't identify any separation. I discovered it by accident (I was playing around with some other tracks at the time).

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Re: Re: Re: Q for obsessive Beatles collectors and trivia buffs

:angel: 'He was a friend of mine.....':D I missed it, too. Dang. Is this a great forum, or what? Now, as to the reason, WHY it was done or if anybody was aware when the album was assembled...:confused:

ED:cool:

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I heard that EMI sent the mono mix of the multi-tracks on these two songs to Germany and that they are in the Odeon vault. All EMI has is the twin-track versions, no mono. They probably had to reconstruct a mono mix from the twin-track tapes and did it in a "not quite" way.....

Just what I heard though....

"Hand" appeared in twin-track stereo on USA "Something New", right? The USA Swan 45 white label version of "Dich" I have is obviously dubbed from a bad German 45...

4. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member Thread Starter

Sounds plausible. Of course the question now is, why didn't they just use the twin-track versions for Past Masters 1? All the other tracks there used the stereo mix if it's available.

Yes.

5. Steve Hoffman

They don't like using TWIN-TRACK stuff. I mean with nothing in the middle.

"Thank You Girl" should be in stereo on there as well as "From Me To You", etc.

What is SO STUPID about this is that songs like "Day Tripper" are also twin-track but they don't seem to have a problem with that.....

6. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

:rolleyes: I prefer to think of it as a 'worn' rather than 'bad' source..distant sounding, noisy, harsh and sibilant...but not intolerable. Don't want to kill its collector value, you know...:shh: Fat chance of that!

ED:cool:

7. The Cellar

I forgot about FMTY. As for TYG, the stereo mix with the extra harmonica bits was never released in the U.K., right?

And it actually sounds better in mono. The dropouts (or whatever they are) are less noticeable.

8. sgraham

sgraham New Member

The nice green-label German Odeon mono 45 that I have sounds pretty decent, better than the folded down version on Past Masters (less tape degradation).

9. Steve Hoffman

Ummmm, lucky boy!

10. The Cellar

Q for Steve

Steve,

In another thread earlier this year, you said that Please Please Me/Ask Me Why in the CD Singles Collection box set used the mono LP mixes instead of the correct single mixes. What are the differences between the single mixes and mono LP mixes for these two songs?

11. The Cellar

Re: Re: Q for obsessive Beatles collectors and trivia buffs

I reported your discovery to the Usenet Guide to Beatles Recording Variations, and the document has been updated. You get full credit, of course.

12. Steve Hoffman

Re: Q for Steve

"Please Please Me" and "Ask Me Why"

Big difference, and the better the playback system, the better the 45's sound.

Parlophone 45 masters:

Edited Mono mixes, direct from twin track session overdubs. Does not add echo during mixing.

Parlophone mono LP version:

A REDUB of the "Edited mono mixes", adding more echo and much more compression. Stored on the LP master reel. Used BY MISTAKE to master the CD version of the singles.

13. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I'm at work now so I can post the songs that I have handy:

From Me To You (stereo 45 mix with harmonica and "dadada" vocals
    http://www.audiodrome.net/FromMeToYou(Stereo45).mp3
    Sie Liebt Dich (stereo mix)
    http://www.audiodrome.net/SieLiebtDich(Stereo).mp3

I have the rest at home so if you haven't got them yet, let me know and I'll post them.

14. The Cellar

Steve H.: Thanks for the info. Not to sound like a sycophant or anything but... YOU DA MAN!!!

So, does anyone know where I can find boots of the PPM/AMW 45 masters? :)

15. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Hello to all. Just asking for info and opinions.

My Beatles collection include:

Japanese blue box
    UK mono black box
    MFSL box
    Individual Capitol Lp issues
    Individual MFSL issues
    EP CD box

The singles collection in vinyl and the German MMT are on the wish list.

Would a SANE person need anything else, for any sensible purpose?

I guess, though, that a SANER person would say that the above list is excessive. Even without knowing about the almost thirty Pepper's issues and the LetIB outatkes and the such.

Thanks in advance.

16. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

17. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I have a question. Is the mono "Bad Boy" from A Collection of Beatles Oldies any different than the mono US lp version?

mud-

18. The Cellar

Paul: Thanks. I now have a CDR called "Help! + Bonustracks" that has the mono "Bad Boy." The whole disc sounds rather crappy, but I think the mono BB was pretty compressed to start with.

Dave: The only U.S. LP I know of that has the mono BB is "Beatles VI." As far as I know, it's the same mix as on Oldies.

19. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Raf, thanks. Thought I was missing a mix!!!

mud-

20. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Is this the mono LP version of Beatles VI?

21. The Cellar

Yes. Capitol T 2358.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.