Q re: Dylan's "Hero Blues" on Genuine Boot Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matt, Jun 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

This song pops up on both Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 of the Genuine Bootleg Series. Does anyone know what the differences are between the two in terms of sound and performance?

2. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

No difference, as far as I remember they are identical - just an oversight from Scorpio (I guess)

3. Matt

Too bad. I thought it might be a different take since several were recorded.

I thought Clinton Heylin had a hand in that series; you'd think he would have prevented that from happening.

4. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Some alternates are on "7 Year Of Bad Luck", "Freewheelin' Sessions", and "The Emmitt Grogan Acetates".

mud-

5. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Well the liner notes from the first GBS were taken from an article he wrote -
    and accordingly the song selection on GBS 1 followed his lead as to what songs CH wished Columbia had put out on its Legit "Bootleg Series 1-3" from '91.

Still they're (GBS, Take 2 and The Third One Now) all just phenomenal (in content, packaging and sound quality) and essential to any true Dylan freak.
    And FWIW - out of 9 disks - 1 song, "Hero Blues (I believe a Freewheelin' Outtake from Dec. '62) being duplicated (considering the wealth of unreleased riches contained in these sets) is not too bad and not something I can really complain about!

6. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

While "Hero Blues" Take 1 appears in both vol 1 and 2....there are some slight differences IMHO.

The version in vol. 1 starts with a bit of guitar strumming before John Hammond calls the master number take 1. In the version in vol 2 this bit has been removed (no big deal). However, the version on vol 1 sounds dead center. The version on vol 2 pulls to the left and sounds very bright. All in all, if you want this song, the version in vol 1 sounds slightly better to me.

BTW, three takes were done that day (Dec 6, 1962), why not put one of the other takes on vol 2?

BC

7. Matt

Very good point, Ben. I have GBS 1 (well, a mangled version of it. The person who gave it to me made a poor copy. Must have a psychotic burner or something), and Freewheelin', as well as the official Bootleg Series. I was playing around with these the last few days, trying to make a definitive sounding Freewheelin' Outtakes, as well as Witmark Demos. The mastering on GBS is actually a lot better in some cases.

For example, "Farewell" on Witmark Demos came from a very worn source (even a section of the tape is missing near the beginning) with major dragging issues. On GBS, MUCH better source. I did some comparisons with Freewheelin', and there's no comparison on some tracks. Rocks and Gravel on "Freewheelin," the full band take, is the mono version. Good, but it fades in a couple of seconds in! ARRRGH! Not so on GBS. Not only is it in true stereo, but it's the complete performance! I think there was one other track, maybe Whatcha Gonna Do, that was also more complete.

Anyway, I was just wondering about Hero Blues because I've got something like 3 1/2 minutes of space left and I was wondering if I should burn what I have now or seek out GBS 2 and grab "Hero Blues" off of there (GBS 2 also has Corrina, Corrina, which makes it more tempting if it sounds better). For some reason, Hero Blues was left off this set, so I figure I might as well make things right and stick it on.

Another thing: did you know they cut out 30 seconds of "Let Me Die In My Footsteps" on the official release? I didn't know until I compared the two. A whole section just snipped out!

8. Matt

Another thing: you really have to listen closely on these tracks, because sometimes the differences between alternate takes are really subtle. I though Freewheelin' Outtakes used a cruddy copy of Mixed-Up Confusion, at least the version found on the remastered Biograph set. Well, the first version on Freewheelin' was definitely a different take (Bob drags out the opening "I've got mixed-uuuuuuuup...." out longer), so I thought it was the second version they had. Sounded pretty similar, but on closer inspection, it's either a different mix or a different performance than the Biograph version. I had to zero in on the guitar and piano which don't match up.

9. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Freewheelin' sessions went from April of 62 to April of 63. A whole year of sessions with tons of out-takes. Apparently in 63 Bob started sending copies of the out takes (sometime inclomplete takes, who knows) as demos (although complete takes may exist) to Witmark for copyrights.

If there was ever a reason for a 2 or 3 CD Deluxe Edition set.....two albums come to mind: Freewheelin' and Please Please Me (the complete session takes).

BC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.