Q re: Silence of the Lambs, the Fugitive, Taxi Driver on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Matt, Jul 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

Best Buy is having a 3 for $30 sale (save $5 per title), and these are part of the list. How good are the current DVD's for the Fugitive, Silence of the Lambs, and Taxi Driver?

I realize that Silence of the Lambs won't have the great commentary track that came with the Criterion discs (which are really expensive now), but how about the transfer? Does it hold up?

2. jdw

jdw Senior Member

I have read that the Criterion DVD used the laserdisc transfer from the early 1990s. The new MGM "Silence..." DVD is a new transfer and does look better than the Criterion disc (in my non-videophile opinion).

Outside of a few shared deleted scenes, the extras on the two versions are completely different. If you ever run across a relatively-cheap copy of the Criterion edition it is worth buying just for the Hopkins/Foster/Demme commentary track alone.

And I like the Taxi Driver DVD too - it has a new "behind the scenes" documentary which is one of the better ones I've seen.

John
    vancouver bc

3. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member

The Taxi Driver: Collector's Edition DVD is outstanding. The extras includes a documentary, storyboards and the original screenplay. Make sure this is what you're getting and not the older DVD release.

The newer Silence of the Lambs has a cleaner transfer than the Criterion, but it also looks a little brighter and not as scary. Both transfers were approved by the cinematographer and therefore "official", so it's a matter of preference.

Dunno about The Fugitive.

4. jdw

jdw Senior Member

Yes - this a good way of describing it.

5. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

Cleaner and brighter? I hope this isn't similar to what was done to Citizen Kane (see recent thread). Again, it's $10 if I pop for the other two, so I may get it anyway.

6. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member

No, it's nothing like Citizen Kane. They cleaned that up digitally to remove scratches and in the process did away with a lot of the film's original texture. The result arguably looks good, but it sure ain't film.

For SotL, the new transfer is cleaner in the sense that it looks like they used a print that was in better condition than the one used for the Criterion (take note that I'm just speculating here). There's nothing wrong with the video at all, except that you have to wonder why it looks different from another version approved by the same guy.

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

This summarizes things well. While I'd prefer to watch an anamorphic transfer, I GREATLY prefer the look of the Criterion one. The MGM simply lacks the same heft and power. That movie usually gets inside my skin, but when I watched the MGM transfer, it seemed much less effective.

My opinion? If you can get the Criterion version, spend the extra bucks.

As for "The Fugitive", it's a nice disc. Good picture, good sound, mediocre extras. Nonetheless, for $10, it's a steal...

8. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I haven't seen the DVD for "The Fugitive". However I strongly suggest that you pick up Taxi Driver, and Silence of the lambs. Both are stellar DVD titles.

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The Criterion DVD of Silence of the Lambs has noticeably different color timing than the MGM. It is generally darker and almost always warmer. The pro-logic sound is also preferable to the 5.1 remix on the MGM, which sounds, strangely, bass-shy. Watching the "descent" scene where Starling and Chilton head for Starling's first meeting with Lecter is a perfect example of the differences in the video and audio. The Criterion makes you feel like they are heading straight into hell while the MGM is a bit more antiseptic. The MGM has better resolution and compression, but this is the best proof I have ever seen that specs aren't everything when it comes to a film transfer. When I want to watch the movie, I watch the Criterion DVD.

Regards,

10. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

I believe that Taxi Driver DVD only has the remixed soundtrack which is the reason I don't currently own it. Did the old one have the original audio or am I going to have to buy this thing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.