Q sound

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I think the main reason that it never took off is because, basically, most people don't care. It's hard to enjoy surround-sound when both speakers are right next to each other or one is on top of the refrigerator and the other one is behind the couch. 90% of listeners don't have anything remotely resembling a "sweet spot." I know someone who was so psyched to show me his new surround-sound set up, and when I went to check it out, he had all 5 speakers lined up in a row on top of his entertainment center! He was like, "listen to the bass."

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

When one has limited space, there is not much that can be done, but you are right that most people do not care. I tried to talk my sister into hooking up her digital cable when she had it in her bedroom and the DVD player into the AUX input as that is the definitive way to enjoy digital cable and DVD technology and she didn't want to do that. She is like 90% of the listeners.

3. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Back in the quad days I knew a guy that had quad built into his wall. Four speakers in a quadrangle - on the same wall. (Two up high, two down low). Well... it *was* quad....

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Forum Resident

Indeed it does (or at least it sounds that way).

As I recall, one of the more obvious examples is the "Money" intro where the drawer opens, coins clink, etc., upfront with the "jackpot payoff" sound seeming to come from over your left shoulder and at one point (I think) it sounds like they're dumped in your lap.

This release isn't exactly the greatest sonic achievement on SACD, but IMO the multichannel version is more interesting and multidimensional than the Q-sound 2-track. But very interesting, nonetheless... I'm still not clear on how they achieve these effects.

5. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Cool. I should pull that disc out and give it another listen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.