QRP releasing Beatles Red, Blue, Love, and 1 on 180g vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Billy Budapest, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Agreed. I can't predict. Going off past experience, I've had much fewer issues with QRP.

I should have said in my original post - "from my experience'....

Mazzy likes this.
  2. Well they haven't pressed this yet so who knows?

OK saw your update.

3. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

If QRP are smart they should press these titles in red vinyl and blue vinyl to make them different offerings to the Optimal versions.

4. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I might hold off for a QRP pressing of 1962-1966 only because I already have a mint original UK pressing that sounds just fine to me. I bought the blue set and it sounds so nice I'm tempted to go get the other. Trying to be patient.

5. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I own the Optimal pressings. Do you?

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes, I do. Had to return 2. I own the mono box. Had a mark on side 4 on the White Album that caused popping noises. Both LPs were warped. Own Optimal pressed 2012 stereo Beatles vinyl. Most were pretty clean with the exception of the WA.

I have not had the issues with QRP with the exception of the Dylan Sundazed titles they pressed. Everything else has been top notch; both rock and jazz titles.

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I had a warped Revolver and scratched Pepper in my Mono Box from Amazon. Instead of returning purchased individual titles to replace and returned faulty copies for a refund (just swapped discs not sleeves). The Red and Blue have been the best pressings I have had from Optimal. I also think that QRP are better with AP releases rather than Sundazed though I have had no significant problems (not Dylan titles). QRP do appear to have a low fault ratio and can't remember returning anything. If QRP versions are obtainable in tandem with any other version I will buy them, though for some titles you have to purchase from US sellers.

8. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

For the record, I own QRP's 45rpm pressing of Counting Crows' August and Everything After. I had to send the first disc back to Soundstage Direct due to an audible mark on side 1 that impacted a good 30 seconds of a song, whereas every Optimal pressing I've bought (and there are now 8 or 9 in my collection) have been 99% quiet and flat.

So moral of the story is YMMV.

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

True. Can't argue with that

10. John D.

John D. Senior Member

You mention different vinyl formulations, how do you come by this information? and what is the difference in the formulations? This is a an interesting statement, please discuss your findings.

marblesmike likes this.
  11. Classicrock

QRP based their technology on that acquired from Classic Records. I would assume their vinyl is similar to the Quiex Classic used. Different supply of vinyl pellets also (US v EU sources). Their vinyl looks different and tends to have a smoother more liquid sound than any other plant (Close to 'Classic Records' sound).

12. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

You mean like all of the Classic Records pressings that had plenty of surface noise?

13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

^^I hope it isn't the classic record formula and process. Some real noisy vinyl came from CR.

14. Classicrock

It was sloppy pressing practices not the vinyl formulation. A decent Classic Records pressing is still hard to beat. BTW only had a handful of bad pressings from Classic. Chad bought the technology incl clarity vinyl and presses from Classic. QRP obviously decided not to go with SVP due to the pressing difficulties otherwise their 200g vinyl is similar.

John D. likes this.
  15. Billy Budapest

Billy Budapest Forum "Member" Thread Starter

I'm holding out for the QRP pressings because I want to support the hew guy in town. Plus, I want to buy American. We finally have a good pressing plant on these shores. I was never too impressed with RTI, especially with the great quality pressings coming from Record Industry, Pallas, and Optimal.

Tommyboy likes this.
  16. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Listening to side 1 of the Blue. In between tracks I'm hearing what I can only describe as a swooshing sound. Anyone else hearing that on their copies? I don't hear it during the music, just in between tracks.

17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

How do the actual tracks sound?

18. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

They seem just a bit harsh and I hate to use the term "distorted", but I am hearing a bit of that, especially on the vocals. I don't think there's enough here to warrant a return, but I was just wondering if others were hearing anything like that.

19. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Collecting a British band is certainly not the best way of doing it.
    (Funny how chauvinistic people can unconsciously turn out to be.)

20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

These records were cut hot. The QRP's will sound the same. The question is...when will the original pressing be exhausted so that we can get the QRP pressings.

Coricama likes this.
  21. Billy Budapest

Billy Budapest Forum "Member" Thread Starter

Sure it is. The vinyl is pressed in the USA. The royalties go to Michael Jackson's estate. ;)

22. Andrew Ballew

Andrew Ballew Member

Just picked up a copy of Blue. Was surprised to find it at my local used book/music megastore. You never know what you will find there. They always have a decent selection of new vinyl, but the selections are inconsistent. Actually, I like it that way. Keeps me coming back to see what is new.

Anyway, this is of course the Optimal pressing. And it is QUIET. Perhaps the quietest pressing I have in my collection. Impressively so. But, it does seem to be cut really HOT. I have issues with my cart being peaky as it is, so there is some sibilance and distortion that I don't experience, or rarely experience on other albums.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  23. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

Originals of these were cut pretty hot too.... I think mention of this was made earlier in the thread.
    Many years ago , when I first heard them it was pretty noticeable. Enough to remember it as a trait anyway!

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  24. Andrew Ballew

Andrew Ballew Member

I did see earlier in the thread where these repressings are all hot regardless if Optimal or Quality.... I was not aware, though, that even the originals were like that. Thanks. I suppose it is what it is. There is plenty of music here that is not distorted and hot, though. And it sounds quite wonderful.

25. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Listening to my 180 gram "blue" album (Optimal pressing) as we speak, after having listened to some of the same cuts from the 180 g stereo vinyl box. I know apples to oranges in one sense as the "blue" album is all-analog and the stereo box was from digital masters, but the differences are nonetheless very noticeable and I don't think it's all down to a different master source. I am not getting distortion but I do hear that the "blue" record versions of tracks are cut hotter and this imparts a more aggressive, less laid-back sound. But, it's not necessarily a bad thing - the 180 gram "blue" album sounds really good to me - maybe it's just my vinyl rig but I definitely don't find it to be OVERLY aggressive/harsh. They are quite vivid and dynamic, with terrific bass presence (I'm sitting here grooving again, as I always do, to Paul's wonderous tuneful bass work heading into the fade out of "All You Need Is Love").

I also agree with the comment by BrettyD that the surfaces are very quiet, always nice!

marblesmike likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.