QRP releasing The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Woodhill78, Nov 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I buy the Deluxe versions because I want the bonus tracks on vinyl.

I don't "need" more CDs. Or more files stored on a hard drive in my laptop bag...

Marc Perman likes this.
  2. Agreed! Why are they so resistant to the idea of increased cooling times when they are seemingly hellbent on manufacturing over-the-top 200g LP's? They can't press flat records at that weight so what's with all the "true audiophile" hype? It's plain marketing nonsense and little else. I would much prefer perfectly flat 160g vinyl as you say.

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I've also had 160 gram vinyl that is warped so there are no guarantees. Actually dishing is more common than edge warping but they sometimes go together. Scratches and non-fill appear to be a bigger problem in my experience. No reason why 180 gram can't be flat as anything else. Also a QC method needs to be developed that stops dished or warped records from leaving the factory. I still suspect much warping occurs in later storage and handling. Also effective inspection of each Lp is likely non existent or only spots the most obvious physical damage. I get a lot of faults that can only be spotted after an audible problem is identified.

4. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

FWIW - My QRP Pepper came in great shape.

5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Mine too. No dishing or warping.

[And FWIW, my Skynyrd “Bullets” 45rpm was the same - no issues].

6. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Is it known whether the US picture disc LP was also pressed at QRP?

Is there any chance it could sound as good as the black vinyl? Does anyone have both to compare?

7. Anyone can be better than Optimal. QRP is using record presses decades old, as do others, but they are fairly new to pressing records. It's like they decided one day that they wanted to press their own Analogue Productions records, so they started buying all the equipment they could get their hands on. But, they couldn't buy the experience to run and maintain them.
    Pallas is the best record pressing operation in the E.U. For their overrun jobs, they send those to Record Industry(formerly CBS). Stateside, RTI is our best with Rainbo a distant 2nd and I'd put QRP in that class . The latest pressings I've received by MPO in France have been impressive.
    I think that Classic Records and Mobile Fidelity were responsible for the resurgence in audiophile vinyl. Both used RTI to press their records. Classic found that 200g records weren't the best idea and RTI stopped pressing them. Too many problems.

8. William A Childers

William A Childers Active Member

C'mon guys, do I need to buy the QRP Peppers or not?

9. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

I have both and prefer the QRP tbh. My QRP seems to be better vinyl and it was quieter than the 2xLP version. Could all be in my head though... It's not a crazy noticeable difference.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You’re asking us to make your decision for you?

11. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

C'mon you R's!!! Oh, sorry, QRP not QPR :hide: (sorry have a friend in the UK that's a big QPR fan and his FB page is pretty much all QPR)

12. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Good question. Is it the same or not?????????

13. William A Childers

Well...YES! I trust the discerning Hoffman forum ears, and I only have the prior version -- so I need encouragement before I buy this damn album..again..

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Why are you thinking of buying it? Don’t like the earlier version?

There are several opinions posted, so are you just looking for more opinions? Maybe not that many people have it because they already bought the earlier set and are satisfied with it.

15. Heck yeh man, buy it! Anything is better than an Optimal Pressing.

16. William A Childers

Geez, my posts must be causing some eye trauma..I didn't see any detailed A/B pressings posts and I'm just an audiophile, like we all are, who is looking for the best sounding version. Why do I even need to explain this on a forum that only exists to talk about these things?..lol

Woodhill78 likes this.
  17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Well there are at least 3 people who have given their observations (including me)...look at the post after yours.

Plus it’s hard to give advice when you don’t say why you’re interested.

And as I said, maybe few have bought it so you’re waiting for a unicorn to show up and hold your hand.

18. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I've not been dissatisfied with the 2LP version so I don't see a need to buy another copy. The vinyl is dead quiet, flat and sounds great.

The picture disc on the other hand...take my money!

telepicker97 likes this.
  19. telepicker97

Well, yeah - someone needs to buy it and tell us how terrible it sounds so we can have our minds made up first...

What else are we here for!!??

:evil:

20. telepicker97

****, I gotta buy the picture disc now, too??

I just won't eat.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  21. telepicker97

I'm not an audiophile; I don't have good enough gear.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  22. William A Childers

Ok marcb, happy new year my friend.

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You as well.

FYI, you can get the QRP version for about $20 or so. Why don’t you just buy it, tell us what you think, and help others out when they are on the fence and ignore your opinion?

24. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Ah, I miss the old Japanese pressed JVC vinyl used by MF back in the late 70’s/80’s. That was the best ever.

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and who said that remix will not replace the original?! LOL...

AppleCorp3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.