Quadio Chicago BluRay Box Set announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Apr 28, 2016.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As noted:

Other things?

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There's most certainly a second pressing of Chicago and IX. No question about it. The only question is how copies made it to retailers, as opposed to from Rhino directly through the return process.

JediJoker likes this.
  3. videoman

videoman Senior Member

OK. So I wonder how many tracks on the "IX" disc came from the "IX" masters? Was "Make Me Smile" the only one they felt they needed to use? "Beginnings" and "Does Anybody Really Know..." maybe? Obviously they used the "Chicago II" transfer for Colour My World.

Something is afoot here. I'm open to all possibilities until the "2nd pressing" question is answered definitively by copies showing up at all the usual retail outlets.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Somebody else would have to verify, buy my guess would be that any unique edits came from the IX masters, while anything that was the same as the original album came from the original album masters.

JediJoker likes this.
  5. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Could be corrected discs are being sent directly to retailers who are switching them out themselves before shipping them?

JediJoker likes this.
  6. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Does anybody have the quad LP/8-track of "IX"? Does it have the same 'missing acoustic guitar' track on "Wishing You Were Here" that is present on both the VII and IX blurays?

It's the only thing that really bugs me about any of the quad mixes.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  7. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Yep. My old brain got confused. My 'surprise' about "Make Me Smile" wasn't the stereo layer. It was noting that they re-created the same single-edit for the quad version of the album that is used on the stereo version. It was the same missing lead vocal ad libs that are on the "Now More Than Ever" part on Chicago II.

Obviously this was done 'back in the day', but I just found it interesting that they'd have gone to the trouble to recreate the single edit for the quad version just to use on the LP when no quad single ever existed. Obviously they had the same time constraints on the quad vinyl LP, so that's why this needed to be done. But still...that's quite a bit of editing work to be done with razor blades and tape.

JediJoker likes this.
  8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I'm going to make a possibly stupid assumption and guess that these are not being bought for personal ownership?

audiomixer likes this.
  9. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Wow. No need to lie, or defend myself against online trolls and bullies. I've reported the thread and I'll let a moderator sort this out.

JeffreyB, JediJoker and lukpac like this.
  10. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Was wondering if I should keep the dodgy discs as they may become valuable in the future..........

gregorya likes this.
  11. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Short of just throwing them away, what else would you do with them? If they become valuable, great. If not? It's not like they would be taking up a ton of room anywhere....

I just crammed them into the box in the paper sleeves the replacements came in. It's a little tight, but they fit.

PJayBe likes this.
  12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

After the replacement discs arrived I gave the defective discs to a friend for the multichannel mixes. Don't see any reason why they'd ever become valuable. It's not like there was only a handful of defective discs. Not sure of the numbers but the way it looks all the Quadio sets sold have the two defective discs.

JediJoker likes this.
  13. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Which is what I did, to the bemusement of Mrs B!! ("Why keep them if they've had to replace them?" Well, I can't throw them out can I????*).

*See thread about being a completist..............

gregorya, JediJoker and videoman like this.
  14. videoman

videoman Senior Member

The only reason they might ever become 'valuable' is that I already see people selling the discs off individually. Once the set is long out of print, there might be some value in selling those to someone interested in only the quad mixes and not concerned about the packaging and artwork. I doubt the defectiveness of the discs will ever provide any value.

But a few years from now when someone wants a quad GH disc and the only way to get one is buy a used box set for $250? I could see them being worth $30-40 pretty easily.

Bill Mac and JediJoker like this.
  15. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Sorry Luke, and everyone else, for the controversy and confusion I contributed to. I checked my box again because I just noted all the vituperation on the thread. I was playing the wrong layer. The stereo layer indeed has the monaural mistakes. It appears there is no corrected second box. At least, I didn't get one. I'll have to pursue replacement discs like everyone else has.

Cluelessly yours, my apologies again.

JediJoker likes this.
  16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Good to know. But as noted, @Pelvis Ressley did get a correct set from Amazon.

JediJoker likes this.
  17. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

OK, well good.

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Well you certainly make a very good point there. Didn't think of it from that perspective. Still glad I gave my "defective" discs to my buddy :).

19. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Amazon has sets? Since when?

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Who said they have them right now?

JediJoker likes this.
  21. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I didn't know they had them at any time since the corrected discs were being sent out.

And while it is completely believable that a small retailer would request corrected discs and have replaced them in the sets themselves before sending them out, I can't really picture Amazon bothering to do so.

Of course "getting the set from Amazon" could mean clicking thru to one of their third-party sellers.

JediJoker likes this.
  22. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

Regarding replacements for discs 2 & 9, I got an email back from drrhino on 10th Feb saying the following:
    Request Update

Request ID: 280****

Thank you for your email.

I will send out your replacement(s) as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

Dr. Rhino

I guess the wait goes on for a good few of us here..

23. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

Wow, you got a request ID #. I don't think I got one of those. I hope you feel special, printed it out and posted it on
    your fridge...

24. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

If the guy bought them from AMAZON USA he can easily look thru his orders for the month in a couple of minutes and copy/paste the receipt here showing the date and who he purchased it from. (amazon direct or 3rd party). AMAZON USA hasn't had the set in stock for quite some time now and If you read his post he said he bought it 3 weeks ago. The FOREIGN Amazon's (besides Canada) all sold out in January.

25. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Maybe he bought it from Canada.