Quadio Chicago BluRay Box Set announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Nah. I will donate all the dough to animal shelters especially in Texas and Florida. Hundreds if not Thousands of animals abandoned by their owners and dumped at shelters. Mass Euthanasia. What a wonderful world we live in.

steve722 likes this.
  2. seilerbird

seilerbird Forum Resident

As some who has had a business selling records, CDs, and sportcards I can guarantee you it is nothing like the stock market. Most collectors don't make any money on their 'investments'. Collectibles are very poor investments. Let me give you an example. During the late 80s no one seemed like a better lock for the HOF than Jose Canseco. His rookie card was selling for $65 in 1989. I sold many of them for that price. I was told by other dealers how ignorant it was to be selling them so cheap right now, in a few years they would be worth in the hundreds. Then the steroid problem and today they sell for $5 if you can find someone dumb enough to buy them. Occasionally a collector makes a huge profit on a record, but overall they usually result in a negative expense.

Quincy, Shawn and JediJoker like this.
  3. Was there another glitch too? I seem to recall two discs being replaced or am I mistaken?

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Same issue with the common tracks.

JediJoker and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  5. Billion$Baby

I had a Baseball Card/Comic Book Store in New Jersey in the 1980's so I know Exactly what your talking about. I had a small hand in all of Al Rosen (Mr Mint) Finds. It was a great hobby and EASY money to be made. Just buy tons of unopened product (1983-1986) and let it sit in your closet and make 5X your money in a year or 2. Got out in 1990 to concentrate on Music Memorabilia...no competition in the Gold Record market. Same principles of the stock market to me....supply and demand. Now back to Chicago......And Bill yammering about how bored he is with my "history", nobody cares, get over yourself....blah blah blah SOS Long live the Bully of the Board!!

6. This space is getting hot, you know this space getting hot . . .

7. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Actually, it's the left channel appearing in both channels - bridged to mono as it were.

I asked Craig Anderson (who authored/mastered the discs) the classic "What happened??" His response was the classic "That's a good question!"
    He said when he outputs his mastered files, he does so one channel at a time. So as it turns out, he transferred the mastered left channel of the second side of Chicago twice. Ditto for the common single tracks on GH (which he must have created from the second album master.)

All because someone thought it would be a good idea to include high-res stereo tracks along with the quad, unlike the DVD of CTA.

No good deed...

8. seilerbird

seilerbird Forum Resident

I did a show at the Moscone Center in SF in 1990 and Mr Mint was set up directly across from my table. I was there very early and so was Mr Mint. I set up three display cases and four tables full of stuff. He came in and put one display case on the table with only one card in the display case. It was a Honus Wagner T206 in near mint. After he set the display case down he left the building. I am sure someone else was watching it for him but it was just one of the most mind blowing things I had ever seen.

I went to high school with a guy who was a radical record collector. The stuff he has in his collection is amazing. He has not sold much of his collection, he keeps everything in trunks in the garage. He has invested a fortune in this collection and now he would be lucky to get 10% of what he paid for the whole thing. I sold him a 1st state butcher cover in June of 1966 for $25. He tried to brag to me a few years ago about how much he sold it for. I was happy for him and he didn't understand why I didn't hold on to it and make a bigger profit. I did make a profit. The whole point of selling collectibles is that the person who buys it from you might make a profit too, otherwise they would not buy it. If he would have put his money into a simple savings account instead of into records (and later CDs) he would be a multi millionaire today.

You got out at the same time I did.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
    jsayers likes this.
  9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Same here. Although it did take awhile to get the replacement discs I think Rhino did a good job handling the replacement of defective discs. Listened to CTA earlier today and will be working my way through the rest of the set. Excellent music with really great 4.0 mixes :)!
    Thanks for posting that detailed information :)! It's great to have someone here with the facts on the Quadio set.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I think you have confused the facts. The email to you does not state that no more were being pressed, it stated that no more were being sent to 3rd party flippers like you. There is a difference.

But truth is they need not press more of the replacements because they likely pressed enough the first time around. They are not out of them yet, they are simply finished sending them to you.

Bill Mac likes this.
  11. Billion$Baby

You need better reading comprehension skills. The CEO's assistant told me directly on the phone...and I mentioned the following above...that Dr.Rhino (Dunlap) was almost out of the SECOND Pressing of corrected discs and didn't want to have to make a THIRD pressing which she felt went into his decision not to ship the remaining amount. I have never sold a set so kinda hard to call me a flipper....nor any other Box set I have accumulated. So they rather have somebody eat 30 sets then send $30 worth of corrected discs. Sounds logical to me. Im sure the board member that is at Rhino can confirm they made at least 2 runs of replacement discs if he even wants to bother responding to this "nonsense". That was back in March/April so Im sure by now there has probably been a Third pressing of replacement discs but I cant confirm that nor will I be making any more phone calls on the matter.

12. Billion$Baby

Will be making a post in the FOR SALE Forum offering up sealed sets (while supplies last) of these to USA residents for $88 including delivery. The money will not be going to me but to an animal shelter in Florida. I will provide the link to the shelters site. Just go to the DONATE Icon on the page and contribute thru Paypal...also tax deductible for those that it matters. Then send me a copy of your Paypal receipt along with your mailing address in the USA and I will send it out promptly and provide tracking info. Shelters in Florida and Texas REALLY need our help. THANKS in advance.

P.S. Since the boxes are not marked in any way to determine 1st or 2nd press assume the worst and that you will need to get replacement discs for Chicago II and IX from Rhino.

omom, eelkiller, steve722 and 3 others like this.
  13. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I'm just curious, regardless of whether you sold any boxes or not, what, in the end would you call yourself?

It is reasonable to think a single individual could buy maybe 2 sets for himself (one to open, one to keep sealed just because), but to purchase 30+ (I really didn't count how many sets you ended up buying) sets, then are you just a hoarder? Or if you aren't a hoarder and are a collectibles seller, as you claim to be, then isn't your intention (as I think I might understand from some of your posts) to actually "sell" (or in a word "flip" even if you might sell for a loss or to break even to help animals in Florida and Texas - which may not have been your original intent at all) these sets to others at some time in the future?

If your intention was to sell these boxes sometime in the future, regardless if for profit or charity - Dr.Rhino made the assumption, based on how many discs you were asking for that you purchased the copies of your box-sets for RE-SALE and not for your personal consumption.

14. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

My, how this thread has headed south! Someone made a wrong turn somewhere and we never quite got back on track.

JediJoker and Hymie the Robot like this.
  15. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Well, one good thing came out of it - folks who missed or put off getting the box can now get one for $88 and have the $ go to a good charity. :shrug:

JonUrban, Bill Mac, noname74 and 2 others like this.
  16. Billion$Baby

Um...I am not getting any of the money...its going directly to the charity. I am located in PA and originally from Central Jersey....Not Florida. I wont see a dime of the money and I will be paying for all the postage out of my own pocket.

I am a collector and an investor...always have been. If I see a good deal I take advantage of it regardless of wondering down the road what I am going to do with it. If a Record Exec calls me up and offers me 100-200 Gold Records from his personal collection for XXXX amount I am going to grab them....dont care if I only want 5 awards out of all of them OR if I am going to make any money on it down the road or not. I am very fortunate that I don't have to worry about such things. So if you were collecting Baseball Cards you would only collect 2 Rookie Cards for a certain player?? That's not what serious collectors/investors/speculators do. I use to purchase over 1000+ of the same card for Rookies I thought had a chance to be great. Ruben Sierra comes to mind....how did that work out?? LOL From what you wrote I don't think you are a collector or understand the mindset.

As already stated I don't care what somebody purchases or what quantity they purchase. If the product is defective the manufacturer has to make good on the product no matter what the buyer is going to do with it. You cant discriminate (or shouldn't) unless you want to be taken to court. In the end that came to light and I got the product for nothing even thou that's not what I asked for. I only asked for what as a consumer I was entitled to but that proved to be too much of an effort.

jsayers likes this.
  17. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Understood. And I might tend to agree that regardless how many you purchase you should be made good on them. I appreciate your answer; the prior problem I may have had with some of your posts wasn't the content as much as the attitude that came across.

Personally, I am not a "true" collector in the sense that you are, but I do buy a lot of music for my own personal consumption. I have more music (LP, CD, SACD, Blu-ray, etc) than I could ever play in what might be considered a normal lifetime, and I'm not getting any younger (yet I still buy). I do have multiple copies of certain albums, but not the same exact copy (i.e., I might have every Elvis Costello CD, LP, MFSL release - and a lot are duplicated due to the same title purchased multiple times every time it is released). Isn't that a collector? Yet I don't purchase to sell or make a possible profit - I buy for my own enjoyment.

JediJoker and lukpac like this.
  18. Billion$Baby

Im from New Jersey (Old Bridge) like you. I was born with an attitude...its something in the water I think :) Peace

Johnny Reb and SteelyNJ like this.
  19. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Hey B$B I applaud your charity work. What I'm wondering is what will people do for a receipt to get the replacement copies from Rhino?

20. Billion$Baby

My brother who I gave a set to back when it first came out got replacement discs without a receipt. Since the head of A+R at Rhino is on this board (and following this thread it appears) I am sure he would vouch for you if you sent via email the Paypal Receipt that went to the charity (Racing 4 Rescues). In your Paypal payment to the charity you could also put CHICAGO QUADIO BOX in the "Notes" line. That will show up on your paypal receipt. If for some reason that didn't work which I cant imagine....I will personally guarantee you get a set of replacement discs. I don't make promises I cant keep.

Johnny Reb, JediJoker and Dok like this.
  21. Further

Further Forum Resident

This might be old news already but I just received my box set today and quickly compared the numbers of my discs of Chicago II and Greatest Hits to the posted info on the replacement discs and it would appear that I have a third version, which was obviously made to include in a new corrected pressing of the box. There's probably a few of the defective sets out there still kicking around and maybe I just got lucky with a new version of the box but it would appear that the new sets currently for sale (at least at importcds) are good to go. I'm sure Rhino would have replaced the defective discs for me with no hassle but I'm happy that I don't have to bother going that route.

Chicago II
    BA2-553946-2
    3 553946.2.A VD01

Chicago IX (Greatest Hits '69-'74)
    BA2-553946-8
    3 553946.8.A VD01

Just about to sit down and spin a few of these for the first time. Gotta love it when a box full of QUAD shows up at your door on a Friday.

22. russellsd

russellsd Forum Resident

Does anyone know if Rhino is still providing replacement disks? I have a set that I purchased when it first came out and never did the exchange.

23. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Email Dr Rhino and see. The email is posted in this thread a few times or go to Rhino's website.

JediJoker and russellsd like this.
  24. russellsd

russellsd Forum Resident

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

25. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Did that apply to the quad and stereo mixes?

I have the set and replacement discs since it came out but have played very little of it until now (new Bluray player).
    Must admit to being somewhat disappointed in the sound quality thus far. Not terrible but not great either. Listened mainly to CTA and Greatest Hits

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017